Status: active

The Mute Mate

Chapter Seventeen

I swiped my hand over my forehead as I stared at my final product, pride quickly filling me up. Jett peered over my shoulder, his face contorting into a confused expression as he cautiously gave it a sniff.

"You made ... lasagna? For breakfast?"

I nodded my head, quickly grabbing a plate and placed a large helping of my food on it before offering it to Jett. He just chuckled, thanking me before he took his plate and went to sit down. I followed him after I made myself my own plate. I sat across from him, digging in as soon as I sat down, a huge smile spreading across my face as the food hit my taste bud. Halfway through however, I noticed Jett staring at me, only having taken a few bites.

I cocked my head to the side, watching him curiously as he smiled at me. "You have something right there," he said, pointing to the corner of his mouth. I quickly raised my hand to the spot he indicated and felt something wet there. Pulling my hand away, I blushed almost as red as the sauce that was smeared on my finger. He chuckled, getting up and walk over to the kitchen, returning moments later with napkins in his hands as he walked towards me.

I reached out to grab one, but he quickly pulled it away from my grasps. "Nope. Let me," he said, my face burning even more, but I decided to oblige. He crouched down, bringing the napkin to wipe away the sauce from my face. He smiled at me and I felt my breath hitch as I was entranced by his hypnotic gaze. His face came closer and closer, his breath fanning across my face.

"Alpha!"

I jumped, almost falling out of my chair. Luckily, Jett's hand quickly latched onto my waist, steadying me before turning towards the entrance where someone stood panting. Recognition spark in my head as I looked at his face. Bob.

"What?" he asked, only slight irritation seeping into his voice.

"Rogues, sir. We found three of them on the west side of the territory. We have them locked up in the basement."

I felt him grip tighten on me as a low growl escaped his lips. "I'll be right down. I want you to call Jared and Phillip and have them meet me there along with anyone who was there to catch the rogues. Have Caleb and Kyle run patrol while we deal with them."

Bob nodded his head once before he went off to do what his alpha has told him. Turning back to me, Jett pulled me into his arms.

"Please, please, please stay in the house while we get this settled. I can't afford you getting hurt or even getting killed.,"

I nodded my head, smiling up at him before I gave him a quick peck. He groaned, his eyes darkening slightly with lust. "If I didn't have to take care of this," he mumbled under his breath as he stood up, causing my cheeks to flush again as I watched him walk out of the room.

I sighed, deciding that I lost my appetite after hearing about the rogues and began to clean up the kitchen while I wait.

Humming to myself, I quickly pulled my hair up into a messy bun before I began washing the dishes. Half way through, my ears perked as I heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen. Shutting the water off, I turned around, only to jump back when I almost walked into someone. I looked up at him, confusion filling my face.

Before I could ask him what he was doing here, a hand quickly clamped down over my nose and mouth, a sickly sweet smell filling my senses before I succumbed to the darkness.

~Jett's POV~

I sighed, running a hand through my hair once more as I stared at the three wolves in front of me. They refused to shift despite my commands to try to force them to and we were getting no where with these three.

"Lock them up. I'll try again later," I told James, one of the guards in charge of the holding cells we kept for rogues. He nodded his head once before ushering the three into three different holding cells. I turned to my dad, a defeated look on my face.

"How did you do it?" I joked with him. He just gave me a smile, patting my shoulder. "It gets easier the more times you have to deal with them," he said simply before turning to Jared. "What do you think?"

My second-in-command stood deep in thought, as though contemplating how to voice his thoughts. "It appears to me as though they don't really have a purpose of being here necessarily ... more like a ... "

A scream pierced through the air, causing all three of us to look at each other before running towards the source on the east side of the territory. A bad feeling covered me almost like a blanket, but I shook it off and ran faster until I came to the scene, near the edge of the border. Kyle and Caleb laid on the ground, blood pooling around them as Layla stood crying over them. A low growl escaped me as I looked over the two. Whoever did this was in a rush thankfully as I felt for both of their pulses before I got up, looking over at Jared and Philip.

"Find whoever did this! Hopefully they're still on our land. If not, check to see if anything is amiss." They both nodded their heads before they both shifted into their inner beast, quickly running away.

'Alpha!'

I groaned. What else could go wrong?

I opened my mind link to James. 'What is it?'

'It's the rogues! As soon as they heard the scream, they looked at each other before killing themselves!'

"What!" I roared, not even able to control it. Only when I looked at Layla did I remember I had much more pressing matters at hand. I clenched my fist as I took several deep breaths.

'Report back to me later. If they're dead, they're dead. I'll figure it out later.' With that, I cut the link with James, instead opening it up to our pack doctor, Samantha.

'Sam! I got two wolves down! I'm bringing them over immediately'

Not bothering to wait for a response, I walked over to Layla and looked down at the two fallen men. Both seemed alive, if their chest movements were any indication, but I wasn't sure for how long. "Come on Layla. We need to get them to Sam now before we lose them."

She slowly nodded her head, hastily wiping her eyes before she stood up, easily picking up Kyle, the smaller of the two, thanks to her lineage. Picking up Caleb, we rushed over to the pack doctor in the middle of the territory.

As soon as I laid Caleb on the bed, I turned towards my little sister. "Stay here and watch them. Keep me updated about their status." She nodded and I felt my heart clench before I pulled her into a hug. She broke down, sobs filling the room.

"Shh. I know. They're going to be okay. They're in good hands." She nodded her head before she pulled back.

"You better go check on the rest of your pack," she told me, a small smile sending me off.

I quickly ran to my own house. Now that most of the immediate dangers were done, I just had to check up on one more thing.

Or rather, someone.

"Sally?" I called out as I walked into the house. I frowned, sniffing the air before a deadly growl escaped me. An unfamiliar scent filled the house.

"Sally!" I called out more urgently as I began frantically searching the house. Only when I came to the kitchen, however, did I find any trace of her. Her scent was the strongest here, tinged with a metallic scent. I sniffed and sniffed to find the source of it, only to come across a note. Shakily, I opened the note, my eyes flitting across the paper before I let out a loud howl of anguish, anger, and sorrow.

They took her.

Jared quickly came running into the kitchen, looking at me. I simply handed him the note as I crumpled down, finally realizing their motive for everything today. I could hear Jared as he quietly read the note out loud.

"Silver wolf now gone, your hope has finally diminished.

With no one to stop the King,

The true ruler will finally appear."

Jared look at me, sympathy and confusion in his eyes. "Sally ... the silver wolf...? That means ... "

I nodded my head before I turned to him. "We need to get her back."