Status: active

The Mute Mate

Chapter Eighteen

~Jett's POV~

"Okay, let's go over this one more time. Maybe we missed something," my father suggested. I sucked in a deep breath, trying to keep my wolf at bay while also trying to not snap at my father. With my mate gone, I was on edge, wanting nothing more than to just tear through everything until I found her.

Seeing as how I wasn't going to talk, Jared began doing what my father suggested. "Okay, let's start from the beginning. First, rogues start attacking packs at random for months. Then while at the alpha meeting, rogues attack again. Now today, another rogue attack." I bit my tongue to prevent myself from snapping at Jared for stating the obvious, instead, choosing to look at the map in front of us that showed where rogue attacks have been reported. "But sometime after we caught the rogues and Layla finding Caleb and Kyle, someone managed to come in, knock out some of our best fighters, and kidnapped Sally, who we think is the silver wolf. Missing anything?"

Something was bothering me as Jared laid out all the facts, like we were missing a huge part of the puzzle. Suddenly, it clicked as I heard my wolf whimper.

"How do they know Sally's the silver wolf?"

"Huh?" Both Jared and my father turned to me, confusion on their faces. "What do you mean? Any one would be able to tell she's the silver wolf just by looking at her."

"Exactly," I said, waiting to see if they caught on. When neither of them spoke a word, I sighed, reminding myself to be patient for what felt like the umpteenth time.

"Sally has never shifted before. That's why I can't officially welcome her into the pack and connect her to our pack link. Her wolf is still dormant."

Realization suddenly came across their faces. "You're right. Why would they go after Sally? It's not like she displayed anything unusual, right?"

I stilled, thinking back to the alpha meeting. "...At least, not here, right dad?"

My dad's face paled slightly as he turned to Jared. "Remember when Alpha Matt and I managed to intercept that rogue when we went to talk to them about the peace treaty? I believe it was Sally who warned us."

"I thought it was a coincidence!" Jared exclaimed. My dad shook his head.

"If I remember correctly, Sally came down to talk to her father. She look a bit shaken and she ended up writing something to her father. After that, me and Alpha Matt went on patrol and caught the rogue."

I breathed heavily, trying to think rationally. "I think it's time we visit Alpha Matt."

My dad nodded his head. "It would be best if we look up the legend too, see if we can figure out exactly if Sally is the silver wolf or if that was coincidence."

As I got up, I noticed Jared sitting with a hard expression on his face. "Jared?"

He looked at me. "How many people, do you think, knew of Sally's prediction?"

I shrugged my shoulder. "Considering that I myself never even knew, I'm assuming only a few people. Why?"

He stayed silent before shaking his head. "Nothing. I'm just ... trying to figure out the puzzle."

I laughed darkly. "Aren't we all?"

~Sally's POV~

I woke up in a haze, my head pounding as I tried to focus my eyes. Where am I?

I looked around the unfamiliar room, taking in the white walls, white sheets, and IV drip connected to my arm. A hospital?

"Sally!" I turned to see Kevin standing right next to me, a wide smile on his face. "You're awake!"

I tried to make sense of my muddle memories, but everything seemed to all mix together, making my headache even worse. I tried looking for something to write with so I could ask Kevin the questions I had.

Noticing what I was doing, Kevin left the room, only to return shortly with a pad of paper and a pen. Nodding my head in thanks, although I regretted it as my head spun, I scribbled my questions before showing it to him.

What Happened?

"We found you with two rogues. After we managed to take care of them, we brought you back to the infirmary."

I'm ... back? Back at my packhouse?

Where's my family?

He frowned, lightly touching my head. "You really ... don't remember, do you?" My face mirrored his own frown, waiting for him to answer me. "They left for that alpha meeting a few days ago. They should be coming back soon."

Alpha meeting ... ? I thought ...

A throbbing pain hit my head as I sucked in a deep breath, wincing as I clutched my head.

"...lly! Sally!"

The pain finally ebbed away before I looked at Kevin, even more confused. What ...?

"You should rest," he said, worry etched onto his face. I just nodded my head, laying back down. As I got comfortable, a nurse came in and went about messing with the IV drip. Before losing consciousness, I heard Kevin talking to someone.

"You sure she doesn't remember?"

"Yes. It seems that ..."

And then I fell into darkness.