May Queen

Mother has Arrived

May burned a hole right through the thick walls of Cailleach's palace. Jack gracefully road the wind right behind her as she regally walked through the palace to where the other guardians and the queen were fighting.
"Are you sure you can do this?" Jack asked as he flew beside her.
May's warm eyes looked over at him and with a smile that could cause the coldest thickest icicle to melt, she replied, "It must be done or Spring will never arrive. I am fine Jack, have faith." Jack looked at her a little unsure but replied with something. As they entered the palace hall the battle had made its way back too, May called, "Cailleach, it is time to slumber until Samhainn!"
The battle froze as Cailleach looked over at her opposite, "You shall lose May Queen, for nothing warm ever thrives in the Winter Palace!" Then she glided over and threw wave after wave of frozen wind and snow at the Spring sprite.
As the two queens fought, the guardians busied themselves with keeping the winter sprites away from the main battle. It was rather difficult to keep the little ankle biters at bay since two out of the five guardians were winter creatures themselves. Although North tended to use his swords more often than any of his other gifts, Jack had to be creative when fighting. The other three were having more luck. Bunnymund's boomerangs hit their mark more often than not and would knock the sprites out, while Sandy managed to put many of them asleep. Toothiana and her little army managed to keep many of them away and knocked out so they did not interfere.
If Cailleach was right about one thing, it was that May was having a difficult time fighting her off. She was not as strong as she usually was since the cold bit her every chance it got, leeching away her warmth. Her body was beginning to cool and a lot of her magic was being used to warm her core. Thinking quickly, May casted a sun ray right past Cailleach's head and dragged it a few feet to the side. Cailleach jeered, "You can't even hit me, are you sure you can defeat me in this battle?"
With a smile, May replied, "Who said I was aiming for you?" Cailleach cocked her head as a portion of the ceiling began to collapse and the sun's rays flooded the room.
Cailleach fumed, "You witch!"
"I believe that is you." May grinned as her body soaked up the rays, rejuvenating her. She drew forward and summoned vine like whips that started attacking Cailleach. The Winter Queen growled and cut through the vines with her ice blades. The battle went on as each queen attacked with as much power as she could. With each passing minute a new art sculpture of ice and snow was created, while another wall, furniture, pillar, or ceiling piece was torn through with a beam of pure sunlight. The palace became an artistic ruin as Summer and Winter fought for dominance.
With one great winter wind, May was thrown back and skidded, only stopping when her shoulder hit the opposite wall. May's eyes looked at Cailleach and she cried, "Why are you fighting so much? You have never done such a thing before. If you end up defeating me the world will surely die!"
"Please, the world won't die! She will never allow it." Cailleach snapped back. "She'll come to your rescue like always and then all will praise your name because Spring has finally come." She stalked toward May like a winter wolf who finally found her prey.
"What are you talking about? More specifically who?"
"Come now May, you can't be that stupid." Cailleach's eyes rolled. "Who is the one person who always comes to your rescue when you're in a bind? Who made up the clause that if you don't defeat me by February the 2nd, you get another chance six weeks later?"
May's face scrunched up in confusion, "Wait, this is about mother? I do not understand."
The freezing wind picked up as Cailleach's temper flared, causing the others battling to stop, "I will show mother my worth by finally defeating you! I will make her proud of me."
"But mother has always been proud of you."
"Please May, you have always been her favorite while I am overshadowed by you because I cause everything to die."
"Mother understands that is your job, for without you the cycle could never continue and she is proud of you for it."
"Lies! She never once said anything of the sort." Cailleach's eyes glowed a stormy blue before shifting to a newcomer's voice.
"You are wrong my child, I am very proud of you." A voice of wind, earth, water, fire, and every element and creature entered the ice palace.
"Mother!" May and Cailleach cried at once as a tall regal woman entered with hair as black as space. Clouds surrounded her and seemed to become one with her hair and clothing.
"Daughters." She nodded at the two queens before her. "I have heard you talking and Cailleach, you are wrong. I hold you dear just as much as May."
"You lie!" Cailleach scowled, "You praise May every spare chance you get while you rarely say two words to me."
"I speak with you more often than you think my daughter. Also, you seem to respond better to your grandfather's praise than my own. Then again that may have lead to this small spat."
"That is because grandfather Pitch actually pays attention to me." The Winter Queen grumbled back.
"Wait, you two are Pitch's granddaughters?" Jack asked stupefied.
Both May and Cailleach looked back at the guardian and replied easily, "Yes."
"Hello guardians." May and Cailleach's mother greeted with a slight unhappy tone.
"'Ello Mother Nature." North greeted with a bow followed by Sandy, Toothiana, and Bunnymund.
"You're Mother Nature?" Jack's eyes widened. "And you four know her?"
"Yes mate, we met her a long time ago." Bunnymund replied. "I hope Nightlight's okay." He gave a slight glare at Mother Nature.
"He is fine, just shy as usual. Since my father is released so is Nightlight." She turned her gaze from the Easter Bunny to Jack. "Hello Jack Frost, it is a pleasure to finally... meet you."
"What's the slight pause for?" He asked suspiciously.
Toothiana stepped in, "Have you ever felt a presence and yet no one was there?" Jack nodded. "That is Mother Nature."
"I am everywhere at once. As long as the Earth is alive, so am I. Now," She shifted so her attention was on the two queens, "The battle must be decided soon. The last day has almost arrived and a decision must be made. Cailleach," Her black eyes landed on her winter daughter, "I love you just as much as your sister. I am always watching over you and am proud of how you preform your duties. Now enough of your foolishness and let this be a clean battle as per usual." The two daughters agreed, one begrudgingly, and prepared to fight.
With the wave of Mother Nature's hand, the two queens once again began their eternal fight. No longer was it a fight to kill the other, now it was more ritualistic. Everyone stood in awe at the almost choreographed moves the two women fought with. At some point, Jack sailed over to Mother Nature's side and asked, "May will win again, won't she? She always does. In the 300 years I've been Jack Frost has Spring never come."
Mother Nature looked away from the battle before her and down at the young man, "Perhaps. It is always up to those two to whom will win. Although May Queen always defeats Cailleach and ushers in the Spring, she is not guaranteed this win."
"That's intense."
"Life is intense and only the strongest survive."
"Not always." Jack thought allowed without thinking. Mother Nature raised a brow. "I've seen many a weak animal and human survive. Granted it was always with aid, but weaklings have lived while strong leaders have failed and died. The world is more complex than that."
"It is indeed. Who will win this time around do you think?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Information about back stories and such I give credit to the creator of the book series and the movie. I really want to read the series now.

One more chapter =)