Garage Heroes

Chapter Four

We got back to the house and began to move the little belongings I had packed out of my room. I helped Dad put the primer on and we decided to do the rest the next day. It was about three o’clock in the afternoon. I would be sleeping on the couch because of the paint fumes. I went outside to get some fresh air. I sat on the steps and relaxed. I could hear the noises from the boys I had seen earlier across the street. I smiled and closed my eyes so I could concentrate on the instruments. It had been about five minutes of me sitting there with my eyes closed when I heard a voice.
“Hey… Uh, me and my friends are trying to come up with the right chords for a song. Would you mind coming and listening? I’m sorry, uh, I didn’t mean to bother you.”
I snapped my eyes open and looked up to see the boy with the long black hair standing above me. I quickly stood up and adjusted my beanie.
“You scared the shit out of me! Oh my god,” I took a deep breath before realizing what he asked me.
“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” He laughed when he saw me smile.
“It’s okay! But, sure, I’d love to come and listen. I may not be very much help. I don’t know anything about instruments,” I gave him a nervous smile before looking down at my feet.
“It’s fine, we were just wondering if you could tell us what sounds better.” He nodded at his friends across the street and smiled, “Shall we?”
I nodded and walked next to him, keeping my distance. I could smell his cologne. He smelled so nice.
“So, what’s your name?” He spoke with a gentle voice, barely loud enough for me to hear.
“Oh, I’m Taylor. What’s yours?” I looked over at him just in time to catch him looking away from me.
“I’m Gerard,” he said as we made it across the street and into the yard.
“Who’s this?” A tall figure appeared in front of me with his hand outstretched. I shook it and looked up at him. He had what seemed like an afro, but it wasn’t too long.
“Ray, this is Taylor. Taylor, this is Ray. He’s one of our guitarists,” Gerard said, a little louder than he had been before.
I was introduced to everyone else. A guy who looked like Gerard turned out to be Gerard’s brother, only with blonde hair and glasses. The other guy was short with longish black hair and identified as Frank. They all seemed so friendly, and Gerard seemed more outgoing around them than he had with just me.
“How about we start what you came over here for?” Gerard said with more confidence. He nodded at the others and they grabbed their instruments. They began to play and they continued to ask me what sounded better, this chord or that and such. This was so much better than just sitting at home.
After they got done playing, they all went inside, except Gerard. It was getting dark outside, so we went and sat on the steps of his house and the dim porch light flickered on.
“So, this was fun. I think we could do it again sometime?” He phrased it as a question, and talked quietly and quickly as he had before.
“Yeah, it was. Maybe tomorrow?” I smiled at him reassuringly. He nodded.
“Do you wanna come inside for a while? We have snacks.”
I thought about it, but realized that it was getting late and I hadn’t even told my dad where I was.
“That sounds really nice, but I’ve gotta get going. I’ll see you tomorrow?”
“Yes, you will,” He smirked and turned around and walked inside.
That night, before I fell asleep, Gerard was the only thing on my mind. The way he talked and smelled and smiled. It was all so perfect. I fell asleep thinking of Gerard and what was going to happen the next day.