You're Still Here

You're Still Here

Dan’s pov
I stared at Phil’s bedroom door; I’ve been stood here for the past half an hour, unsure as to whether it was time to find out what Phil had left me.

When he died, there was a note for me left next to my bed, I remember every word of the note; ‘To Dan, you’re probably wondering why I’ve left this here, well before I tell you I’d just like to say thank you and sorry… You’ve been such a great friend, Dan, I couldn’t ask for, nor get a better friend than you, we’ve been through so much together, I’m so glad you was a massive fan-boy stalker or we would’ve never met but as you know, all good things come to an end, I’m sorry Dan but by the time you’re done reading this I’ll already be gone. You can let the Phillions know if you want, I suppose they need to know but I couldn’t do it myself. My parents know, I was on the phone to them before it happened. I’m sorry for leaving you Dan but I couldn’t handle it anymore, good bye. I’ve left something in my room for you, I’ve had it since you gave it to me six years ago and I think it’s only fair that I give it back now. Love Phil.’

I bit my lip and tried my hardest not to cry as I let the memory play over in my head.

After standing outside Phil’s room for a further ten minutes I decided it was time, he passed away a year ago and after reading the note that morning I shut his bedroom door and it hadn’t been opened since, until now, that is.

I took a deep breath as I held the door handle, slowly opening the door, my eyes closed as I attempted to hold back tears. I slowly stepped inside, closed the door behind me and just stood, staring around the room at the different items, his fan-art and Wirrow art above his bed, his unmade bed covers, his chest of drawers full of teddies and his sticker-covered mac book lying on his bed.

I sat on the edge of the bed, put my head in my hands and cried.

Phil’s pov

I watched as Dan looked around my room, I was wondering when he’d decide to come in here, I’ve been standing here for about a year, well I say standing, ghosts can’t exactly stand can they? I watched Dan carefully as he started to make my bed, putting the duvet and pillows straight, I smiled slightly at his OCD and continued to watch him sort out my room.

Once he’d finished he laid down on my bed, hugging my giant Totoro teddy and crying, I lay next to him and hugged him.

Dan’s pov

I cleaned up Phil’s room a bit then grabbed his giant Totoro and lay down on his bed, hugging the soft toy close to me. I began to cry again but I didn’t stop myself, it’s natural to cry when you lose a loved one, right?

After five minutes or so I decided to look for the thing Phil left me. I sat up and opened the top drawer of his bedside drawers and saw a box, it was rather small and wrapped in sliver wrapping paper with a little card taped to the top. I picked it up and read what was written on the card “Hi Dan, I see you’ve found the ‘gift’ there’s nothing much to say really so just go ahead and open it. Xxx”

I slowly removed the wrapping paper from the box being careful not to rip it. The box was plain, just a cardboard box. I opened it up to reveal Lion, I sent this teddy to Phil six years ago, I remember him opening it on camera, smiling widely at the small teddy and announcing that its name would be Lion, I remember him thanking me over and over and making a hand-heart at the camera as an extra thank you. This Lion has been in every single one of his videos since 2008.

I kissed the teddy and stroked its fluffy mane. “Phil loved you... Almost as much as I loved… Love him.” I spoke to the small stuffed toy in my hands.

I felt like there was something or someone else in the room with me, I looked around for a second then smiled and spoke aloud. “I know you’re here, Phil. I can feel it and just so you know, I love you and I will take great care of Lion for you, I hope you’re in a better place now, away from those terrible people. I love you.”

Phil’s pov

“I know you’re here, Phil. I can feel it and just so you know, I love you and I will take great care of Lion for you, I hope you’re in a better place now, away from those terrible people. I love you.” I smiled at Dan’s words and hugged him, he didn’t know I was hugging him, but that didn’t matter, one day he’ll hug me back but hopefully not soon, I want him to live out his life.