The Darings

Finn

The loud burst of Red Hot Chili Peppers started Finn to alertness, her hand searching the nightstand, knocking over a glass of water, a book and a journal off before she found her phone, the source of the noise. She flinched away from the bright lit screen, her brother’s name flashing across the screen.

“Seriously, Xander? It’s Nine in the fucking morning.”

Laughter filled her left ear as she sat up in her bed, shoving the iPhone against her ear and reaching to turn her lamp on. A delicate glow filled the room. “Come on, Finny. You used to wake up early.”

“Yes, that was ages ago.”

“Well suck it up. Bran and I want to come visit you.”

“You act like you live hours away, you’re quite literally near by.”

“Yes, but can’t we stay the weekend at your place? See what UCL is like?”

Finn rubbed her face with the back of her hand, yawning. Her brothers attended Kings College, hardly a weekend trip away. The twins always enjoyed pretending their little sister didn’t exist unless they were bored. “Why do you bother me so, Xander?”

“We’ll be there within the hour, Finny.”

Finn laughed but peeled the blankets back. “Make it three.”

“Fine.”

Just as Xander hung up the phone, she heard Brandon yelling that he loved her through the line. She ignored it, rolling her eyes and getting to her feet, making a beeline for the shower and turning it to a scalding temperature to wake her up and ignite her senses.

In the shower, Finn let her mind wander. Firstly it went to their meeting with the Dean just a few days earlier. It still made her curl her lip in irritation that they had been pinned for the bubbles in the fountains, no matter how guilty. The staff’s habit of assuming was quite bothersome.

Then Finn’s mind wandered to dealing with her two whirlwind brothers. They were nice enough, but they were always a handful to take care of, wanting to meet her friends, wanting to throw parties and start fights with anyone involved in sports. They especially liked to tour the campus wear their Kings College jerseys.

Out of the shower and pulling clothes on, she let her hair hang damn, kicking her jeans from the day before up into the basket holding her laundry. Waltzing out of her room smoothly, she crossed the hall, knocking loudly on Ash’s door, a precaution if she was asleep.

Finn should have known better. Ash opened the door in a daze, blinking and smiling when she saw Finn standing there. The smell of tea and vanilla filled Finn’s noise. “Reading, are we?” Finn strolled past her. Music floated through the room, Finn’s eyes following it to a CD player. “Is that a CD player? Are you a dinosaur?”

“People still listen to CDs!”

“Yes, and those people are called ‘grandma’ and ‘grandpa.’”

“It isn’t that old, Finn.”

Ash sat on her bed, folding her legs into herself. A book sat next to her, a cup of tea perched carefully atop it. Finn chose to sit in a desk chair, spinning it so that it was backwards. “We’re having a party tonight.”

“We are?”

“Well, I haven’t told Niall yet. Technicalities.” She waved her hand and rolled her sea-green eyes. Ash listened to her. “My twat of a pair of brothers are coming to stay at my place for the weekend.”

“Don’t they go to Kings? Why do they have to stay here?”

“They’re unconventional. I’m sure it had something to do with the egg splitting in my mothers womb.” Ash made a face at the mention of another woman’s womb. It made Finn smile a bit. “Anyways, they’ll be here within the hour to drive me absolutely insane, I’m sure of it. Your job? Lessen the blow.”

“How do I do that?”

“Catch my hand when I go to smack one.”

“You literally meant ‘lessen the blow’ didn’t you?”

“With twins like Xander and Brandon, hitting is often and swift.”

Finn lounged across Ash’s bed as the girl pulled on jeans and a shirt. Finn’s hair fanned across a pillow as she flipped through a magazine, her lips pursing and brow arching as she read an article about love and how to make a guy fall for you. She rolled her eyes and shut it, tossing the object to a pile where others sat.

When Ash was dressed, the two of them head out of the school, the sunshine high in the sky as they set to the streets, swerving around people as they walked to the tube where they would meet the Wattz twins. Finn was silent as they walked and Ash busied herself with looking at her surroundings.

It struck Finn that she ought to take Ash to Manchester. She wasn’t a city girl like Finn, but Ash would probably love the sight of Finn’s home city. London was just as wonderful, but there was nothing like the streets of Manchester, floods of people, loud sounds and constant business.

“Are you excited?” Finn came out of her daze, looking at Ash. Her hands were shoved in her pocket, blonde hair swept over her shoulder, a simple t-shirt clinging to her body. “For your brothers to be here? I know you said they’re annoying but… they’re family.”

“I suppose. Xander and Brandon are great older brothers, they made me tough. But they can be a headache sometimes, especially when it comes to me being single.”

“They care about that stuff?”

“They think I’m too closed off, too bitchy.”

“I don’t think ‘bitchy’ is the right word.” Finn looked at Ash, giving her an exaggerated frown. “Okay, so maybe you’re bitchy. But not in a bad way.”

“You’re so weird, Ash.”

She smiled. “I know.”

It took thirty minutes for Finn’s brothers to arrive. While waiting, Finn and Ash drank Starbucks and nibbled on muffins. Sitting on benches on the platform, swinging their legs back and forth, Finn sharing stories about her brother. It was strange, to tell someone all about her siblings that were not related to how attractive they were.

The sound of the train coming down the tracks echoed down the underground. Finn felt a bubble of excitement but she remained seated, leaning back and crossing her legs, one over the other. She was not going to get up and jump for joy for her brothers. She would patiently wait for them to exit the train.

Rushing, the tube came by, slowing down until finally it stopped, the pressure locks on the door popping. Glancing up and down the platform, Finn spotted two twin brunettes hope off, each carrying a backpack on their right shoulders. The twins were alike Finn in their jaw line and eyes, but other than that, they were completely different, brown hair styled in a messy fashion, bright smiles on their face.

Spotting Finn, the two brothers glanced at one another and then took off at a run towards her. Finn made a noise of alarm as she stood, trying to get up and get away from them as they barreled into her, catching her as to keep her from falling and squeezing her in between them.

“Finny!” They yelled at the same time, squeezing still. Finn rolled her eyes, squeezing them back the best that she could as Xander continued, “Hi love. How ya been? Who is your attractive friend?”

Stepping back, Xander and Brandon both turned to Ash, who’s cheeks flared red as she waved awkwardly at them, brushing her hair back behind her ear. “Xander and Brandon, this is Ash and she is absolutely off limits, touch her and I’ll never speak to you again.” Both of the twins sighed and nodded, knowing Finn wasn’t to argue with. “Ash, the blue shirt is Xander, red shirt is Brandon. Brandon is three minutes older and he won’t let you forget it.”

Both brothers grabbed Ash’s hand in turned, pulling it up and kissing it. Ash’s cheeks remained red as Finn looked at the brothers pointed. “Okay now that Romeo and Paris have introduced themselves, let’s get out of here. The smell of damp and graffiti is bothering me.”

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

“You mean to tell me,” Brandon groaned, leaning against the wall of the hallway, “That this is the flat of Niall Horan, captain and best player of our rival football team? Great idea, Finn.”

Finn ignored him, knocking on the door. “Any problems from you two and you’ll regret the day I was made your sister.”

“Does fancy him?” Xander whispered to Ash, his tone still audible. Finn cut her eyes sideways, raising a single brow. Ash saw the gaze and shook her head vigorously, not replying at all. “Awe, don’t let Finny scare you. She’s all mean and grizzly on the outside but she’s a right fucking softy on the inside.”

The door to Niall’s flat opened, music blaring from the inside already. Niall was dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt, his hair styled to the high heavens. Finn breezed by him, patting him on the chest in a greeting as she walked by. Xander and Brandon both introduced themselves though they met him on the field; it was a bit more formal, this way.

Girls and boys alike filled Niall’s flat. As Finn made her way to the kitchen, she was stopped several times, all of which she simply murmured a hello and continued on her way, whisking into the kitchen where she pulled Harry away from the fridge by the collar of his shirt, sliding herself in his place.

Removing two beers, she turned, bumping it shut with her hip and grinning at him. “You’re bird is in the living room, go save her from my idiot brothers, will you?”

“Your brothers are here?””

“Mhmm.

“And they’re not going to pick a fight with the captain of our football team?” Finn gave Harry a fleeting look that made him chuckle, bringing his cup to his lips. “And Ash isn’t my bird.”

“Better make her yours quick then.”

Before Harry could respond, Finn was handing Ash a beer, acknowledging Tera from across the room as she waved excitedly before excusing herself and making her way over, making Finn straighten. “Glad you guys finally came. Love your shirt Ash.”

Ash glanced at Tera. “Thank you.”

“Brilliant color on you, don’t you think, Finn?”

“It brings out her eyes, which is precisely why I told her to wear it.”

“Are these your brothers?” Xander and Brandon were both eyeing Tera. She gave them a smirk, making Finn narrow her eyes. “I thought so. Hi, I’m-"

“She’s Tera,” Finn cut in, tilting her head slightly. Tera looked back to Finn, seeing that the red head had narrowed eyes and pursed lips. Tera took a single step back. “She’s a girl who lives down the hall from me.”

The finality rang in Finn’s tone, making Tera nodded her head once and turn, walking away. Ash stood up next to Finn, leaning over and whispering slightly, “Maybe you are a bit bitchy.”

“No one flirts with my brothers.”

“Protective Finn. I like it.”

“Watch it, Ashley.”

Together, they all sipped on drinks and exchanged stories. The twins were raucous, laughter following them like the sun following the horizon. Finn sat on the arm of the couch, Niall beside her on the cushions. His hand was resting on her knee, a fact that she selected not to acknowledge as they sat in a sort of semi-circle.

Ash and Harry were on the floor in front of them, their knees pressed up against one another, Harry throwing Ash coy smiles that Finn could only interoperate as a them sharing something she didn’t know. She chortled lightly to herself, turning away to her brother.

“So Finny got called to the deans,” Brandon chided, waving his bottle towards Finn. She shrugged delicately. “I wish I could say that’s surprising, but it’s not surprising, is it Xander?”

“Quite not. Finny here get’s in loads of trouble all the time at home. She’s not one to back down from pride, oh no.”

“What did Finny get called down for, anyways? Any idea, Xander?”

“Not a clue.”

Finn rolled her eyes. “They thought we put the bubbles all around the fountains on campus. Said we’ve had a history of interesting behavior, thought it was us.” Brandon made a face at her, tilting his head. She sighed. “So it was us- it was just a bloody dare, Bran.”

“A dare ay?” he responded, taking a swig. He looked interested then. Both of the twins did, exchanging glances and leaning forward. They were the only two outside Finn, Niall, Harry and Ash that were told about the dares. “You’re into daring now? Sounds a bit grade school.”

“Or it’s a bit different,” Finn countered, narrowing her eyes at him. “It’s exhilarating and you find out how you react to things.”

“Fine,” Xander chirruped. “Finn, I dare you to kiss Ash right on the mouth.”

Ash’s eyes widened in alarm as Finn rolled her eyes, leaning forward off the couch and grabbing Ash’s face between her hands, squeezing her cheeks as she grinned and laughed, “Pucker up blondie.”

Finn pressed her lips against Ash’s in a quick pop kiss, making Harry and Niall cheer loudly. Finn shook her head as she leaned back onto the arm chair. Niall clapped her on the lower back and shot her a grin. “That was hot.”

“Shut it, Horan.”

“Oh this is good,” Brandon clapped, rubbing his hands together. “Hey Ash, I dare you shot gun a beer.”

For a minute, Ash just stared at Brandon. She looked to Finn who tried to give her an apologetic smile as Ash stood up, walking by herself to the kitchen to return with a full can of beer, her hands going to her jeans, searching for a key. Finn fished hers out of her purse, jingling the keys in her hand and offering them to Ash. She took them with a smile.

Finding a particular key, Ash cracked a small triangle into the aluminum can. She returned the keys to Finn. Cradling the can between her hands, she popped the top on the can, and brought the can to her lips, tilting her head back as she opened her throat, chugging the beer back.

Xander and Brandon cheered loud enough to startled the crowd at Niall’s, everyone turning around and looking at them. Ash finished, making a disgusted face momentarily before a smile popped on her face, squeezing the can in her hand. Finn stood from the couch then and took Ash’s hand, raising it up and screaming, “Shot gun queen!”

Everyone at the party screamed. When Finnley Wattz cheered about something, one was to follow suit. When Finnley Wattz liked someone, so did everyone else. And Finnley Wattz was beginning to consider Ashley Hughes her best friend. And she wanted that to be understood.
♠ ♠ ♠
They're besties I can't even.
Sorry this took so long!
ASHINN FOR LIFE THO