Sequel: Change

Wasted

One Song...

Hey party people! It’s me, Steph, as usual. And do I have a lovely story for you!

So as you all probably know I was born and bred in Pittsburgh and pretty much bleed all things black and gold. What some of you may not know is that I was also a busy babysitter in my teens. But what can I say? I was a well-rounded individual. Between competitive cheer, cheering for our sucky football team, studying, and oh yeah, breathing, I babysat for a family by the last name of Saad.

You might have heard of one of their sons, Brandon. Four years my junior, I watched him from the time he was seven to eleven, often for extended periods of time while his parents ran around with his older brother’s hockey. When I left for college at Northwestern in Chicago, I knew to be on the lookout for ‘my favorite Saad’. (He called himself that, I swear.)

Now, we jump ahead quite a few years…

I have a close friend who goes to NIU which is relatively close to Rockford where a Blackhawks AHL team resides. Due to the NHL lockout, a lot of new prospects were assigned to spend the duration out with the Icehogs, Brandon being one of them. My friend had tickets to last night’s game and being the rabid hockey fan that I am, I wasn’t going to turn down the chance to see it live. And with the added possibility of seeing an old friend, I made the drive out to NIU.

My friend convinced me to be the annoying fan and actually made me a sign. (She’s an art major.) Across the front of it, in perfect bubble letters might I add, was ‘It’s my favorite Saad!’. And on the back, ‘Babysitter from the past’. Embarrassing and really cheesy, I know.

By the end of warm-ups, he’d seen the sign and I knew he recognized me because before I knew it, a rink employee was handing us security passes to get down to the locker room after the game. Being around so much talent had me hoping that some of it would wear off on me.

Our reunion after the game was short lived; as the team was due to get on a bus to begin a road trip. But not before we got some good ribbing in. Some of mine to him,

“Look at you! All grown up, B!”

“Still no biceps I see.”

“You still got those Superman sheets?”

And his to me,

“Where are the hair bows?” (I was a cheerleader, okay? I actually still like them…)

“Still obsessed with Leonardo DiCaprio?”

And my favorite…

“Think I’ve got a chance now?” It was a joke, of course.

It’s no secret between us that he had had a not so secret crush on me growing up. Unrequited as I was four years older.

And now, my loyal PeaceLoveAndHockeyPucks readers, I’m off to fill off internship applications. I’m sure that since now I’ve got some contact info for my Saader, I’ll have plenty of shenanigans to recount for you all! And hopefully, he’ll actually be in Chicago soon!

Stay classy and sassy, never trashy.
XO- Steph

Current Music- About a Girl by the Academy Is
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short preview of what's to come! This was an introduction to Steph and her relationship with Brandon and not much else. Sorry 'bout that.

PeaceLoveaAndHockeyPucks is my actual blog, although it's not much hockey. SutterWorksTheCorner is where that happens. If you're interested, check 'em out on Tumblr! And if you're so inclined follow them as well as my fitness blog, WorkedTooHardToQuit.

Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!