Sequel: Change

Wasted

This Is Not My Heart...

What does one wear to a charity function with the Chicago Blackhawks?

That was the question I asked my best friend on Thursday evening and I believe she answered with flying colors. It might have dipped into my pocket substantially, but the minute she pulled the dress off the rack, I fell in love.

Okay, girl moment over.

Can you believe the season is a week underway? I know I can’t. It seems like yesterday we were stressing about finalizing a new CBA in time for the season to start. But, despite the cancelled games and an All-Star Weekend, it seems hockey fans everywhere are back for their beloved teams.

And thank goodness for that. Over the last few seasons, hockey’s fan base has snowballed and spread like wildfire. With the drafting of greats like Crosby, Toews, and Ovechkin *cough*I guess*cough*, new fans have been introduced to the sport. The best part, more are still coming.

Growing up in Pittsburgh, we weren’t a huge hockey town for the majority of the late 90s and early 2000s. But with the return of Le Magnifique and the winning of the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes, it was brought back and just a few seasons later, we had a Stanley Cup again.

When I moved to Chicago in the fall of 2009, I wasn’t expected anything over the top. But as the Hawks gained momentum that season, and even before, I saw signs that this was most definitely a city that loved its hockey team. And how could they not? It’s not like their other sports teams have too many recent exciting seasons. Although the Bulls could make an argument…

The point is, it’s great to see that the lockout hasn’t damaged hockey too much and I for one cannot wait to see how the rest of the season shapes up.

Stay classy and sassy, never trashy!
XO- Steph

Current music- Good Life by OneRepublic


*~*~*~*~*~*


“Let me see!” Maggie squealed through the web cam. “Let me see!”

Over Skype, she’d instructed me on my makeup and hair and once that was done, I went off camera to get dressed and to give her the ‘full effect’.

She’d done a pretty bang up job of picking out my outfit and accessories. The lace dress showed off my naturally tan legs and I could go without tights in the surprisingly and unseasonable day in Chicago. For a city that had a huge snow storm less than two weeks ago, the almost 60 degree was almost scary.

With the addition of my pearl drop earrings, I stepped back in front of my laptop and did a twirl.

“You like?”

“I love!” she bounced in her seat. “Back up so I can see the shoes.”

I did as instructed and let her gush about her creation, only listening halfway. I wouldn’t admit it out loud, but I was a little nervous about seeing Jon. Had he found himself another date?

“Are you even paying attention?” she snapped and I was brought out of my reverie.

“Sorry,” I blushed. “You were saying?”

Maggie rolled her eyes. “I was saying that you’re going to knock every single man’s boxers off tonight. Poor Brandon won’t know what to do with you.”

“Isn’t the expression ‘knock your socks off’?”

“Details, details,” she waved her hand about. “The sentiment is the same.”

“Guess it’s a good thing I’m the English student, huh?” I teased her and let her grumble a little. I heard the door being knocked and stood up. “That’s my ride. I’ll talk to you tomorrow?”

“I’ll be disappointed if that dress doesn’t end up discarded on the bedroom floor of a certain captain,” she said sternly as I disconnected the Skype connection and picked up the last of my things before going to the door.

“Hey,” Brandon smiled as it swung open. “Took you long-,” he looked me up and down. “Wow, you look great.”

I popped my hip. “One, don’t sound so surprised. Two, don’t ever check me out again.”

“Right,” he nodded. “I’ll leave that last one to Tazer.”

“Have you and Maggie been conspiring together?” I sighed. “You guys say, like, the exact same things.”

“Maybe it’s because we’re right?” Brandon shrugged as he helped me into his too big vehicle.

“Only in your dreams,” I retorted. “Where are we going?”

“Well actually, they wanted to throw it at Peplum,” he said. “But someone had booked it-,”

“Chicago Fire is there!” I screeched. “I can’t believe I’m missing it!”

He continued without acknowledging my outburst. “So it’s at a studio somewhere near the beach. By the Pier I think.”

“It’s gonna be cold then,” I grumbled. “I didn’t grab a jacket.”

“I’ll be the gentleman and give you mine,” he assured me with a teasing grin.

“This better be one hell of a first date,” I said.

“The food should be good,” Brandon shrugged. “Fancy chef’s cooking.”

“Open bar?”

“Yes,” he sighed. “Which I’m not permitted to touch, per Blackhawks management.”

“Aw, buck up, Saader,” I smiled as he helped me down from the car. “Maybe I can sneak you something good.”

“You do that,” he said as we approached the door.

Getting over the threshold, I froze. There were cameras everywhere. People with microphones and tape recorders stood at the ready. Brandon had said there might be a few interviews he had to give, but I hadn’t been prepared for this.

“Relax,” he rubbed my shoulder the way I used to do to him when he was little. “You can go over there. It’s just the players that have to do this.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. I could handle asking the questions, but giving the answers? That was asking for trouble.

I wandered over to the area Brandon had pointed out and found a number of the wives and girlfriends meandering around. Almost immediately, Amanda found me.

“You look amazing,” she smiled. “That color is so pretty on you.”

“Thank you,” I could feel a little heat creep up my neck. “You look great too. Everyone does.”

“Well except for her,” Amanda nodded over my shoulder discreetly.

Casually I turned around as we began walking in that direction toward the bar. It wasn’t very hard to spot the girl in question. She wore a black mini with side cut outs and a nonexistent back. My dress was on the shorter side, but it had a high neck and sleeves. My shoes were nowhere near the stripper height of her platform heels.

“Who’s she with?” I asked, fearing the answer.

“Who do you think?” Amanda raised an eyebrow at me.

“Jon,” we said together.

So he had brought a date. You would have thought he’d have found someone a little more… appropriate.

“They came in together and I was afraid I was going to have to perform surgery to get her hands off of him,” she said as she led me to another group of more women.

“Are the cameras here all night?” I asked hesitantly.

Amanda shook her head. “No, they stay to get a few interviews and by the time dinner is served, they’re gone. After that, it’s only the team’s cameras that are on and even then, they announce when the cameras are going to be coming around.”

“That’s a relief,” I said and she laughed.

“Don’t like the spotlight?”

“Not when it’s adding ten pounds.”

We talked with the other wives and girlfriends and I found that they were all easy to get on with. Soon enough, the guys began circulating and looking for their respective dates. I found a hand touch my shoulder blade before reaching for my drink.

“Hey!” I swatted Brandon away. “No alcohol until you’re 21!”

“Relax,” he rolled his eyes. “The cameras are off.”

“Can I help I still feel like your babysitter?” I said and Abby Sharp laughed.

“It’s what we all are,” she said. “Except you used to get paid.”

“Too bad I don’t anymore.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


Dinner blew by without incident and by the time dessert was served, I was relaxing into the warm atmosphere and the good wine. I was coming to find that it was really just one big dinner party to benefit charity. I liked it.

After stealing the last bit of cake off of Brandon’s plate, I excused myself to the bathroom to check my makeup and hopefully avoid a possible line.

I had barely opened the door when I heard a terrible retching. Worried that it would reach the guests, I shut it behind me and peered around the corner. Every stall door was open except for one and a very spiky looking pair of black pumps were visible beneath it.

“Uh,” I knocked on the door. “Are you okay?”

A flush happened and the door swung open. Jon’s ‘date’ almost bowled me over as she flew out of the stall. Wiping her face twice with a paper towel at the mirror, she turned and looked at me.

“T-t-tell Jonny that I’m sorry,” she stumbled and slurred her words around the tears that were flooding.

Speechless, I nodded and she all band ran for the door. If she wasn’t such a lightweight and so drunk, she probably would have. I’ll tell Jonny alright.

It wasn’t hard to find him at the bar. He and his date had been throwing back drinks like there was no tomorrow. If only the poor thing could handle her alcohol like he could.

“She run out?” he didn’t even turn around to look at me.

“Yeah,” I said. “Yeah she did. Said she was sorry.”

He chuckled bitterly. “I’m sorry too. Sorry that I had to bring her.”

“You didn’t have to bring a date, Jon. Wasn’t that part optional?” I hailed down the bartender for my drink.

“And what was I supposed to do?” he snapped. “The captain showing up without a date while the rookie does? Yeah, okay.”

“Don’t get short with me, buddy.”

“Hey, Steph,” Jon rolled his eyes. “You’re not my babysitter.”

“And thank god for that,” I decided not to wait for my drink and instead downed the rest of whatever was in Jon’s hand. “Next time, find a girl that can handle her liquor.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just two more to go! Would you like to see a sequel? Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

2nd update today!

Charity