Sequel: Change

Wasted

I'm Not in Love...

“Stephanie!” Mrs. Saad called over the din of the United Center. Even outside, you could hear it. “It’s so good to see you!”

“It’s great to see you again,” I smiled as she swept me into a hug. As busy as she was with her own children’s lives, Mrs. Saad always had an extra ear to listen or shoulder to lean on. “George!” Indeed, Brandon’s older brother had made the trip out too.

“How ‘ya doin’, kid?” I laughed at his question; we were nearly the same age.

“Hi, Mr. Saad,” our relationship had always been more formal than it was with his wife and sons.

“Hello, Stephanie,” he nodded. “Nice of you to make it out to the game.”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” I nudged George’s shoulder. “Had to see my favorite Saad play in the NHL.” I ignored his butt hurt reaction and turned to my guest. “This is my friend, Maggie. Maggie, this is Mr. and Mrs. Saad and George, Brandon’s older brother.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” she shook their hands and used the manners her mother taught her.

“Jon said you had our tickets,” I mentioned and Mrs. Saad rummaged through her purse.

“Right here,” she rummaged through her purse and handed over an envelope. “He seemed rather excited that you were here.”

“I’ll bet he is,” Maggie muttered and I stomped on her foot. I’d made the mistake of telling her about the conversation I’d had with Jon at the bar.

Entering the United Center, I could see exactly why it was called the Madhouse. The building was electrified and there was still almost an hour until puck drop. In all my years in Chicago, I’d yet to attend a game at the Madhouse but the occasion that I was here for now made it all worth it.

“So what are you wearing to the party this weekend?” Maggie asked as we settled into our seats. “Have you decided?”

“Uh,” I sighed. “No? I’ve been a little busy.”

She frowned at me. “Expect me over tomorrow after class. It’s Sunday right? That means we have, like, no time.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever you say, Mags. Whatever you say.”

“Do you like Chicago?” Mrs. Saad asked. “We’ve missed having you around in Pittsburgh.”

“I love it here. It’s a beautiful city,” I said. “And I miss certain things about Pittsburgh too. You guys being one of them, of course.”

She laughed. “It’s a shame you feel like you have to stay out here all the time. If you ever want to come home, you know you have a place with us.”

I smiled at her genuinely touched by that. “Thank you, Mrs. Saad.” I hugged her briefly. “Really.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


After the game-a win for Chicago- we only trooped down to the locker room, where we caught up with other family members. Most of them had been up in boxes, with the exception of any of the rookies’ families.

We waited around for a while and eventually, the players began piling out of the locker room and into the lounge. Kids swarmed their fathers and wives and girlfriends pecked them on the lips. I saw a few outsiders, puck bunnies maybe, who watched the team like hawks as they looked for their prey.

“You made it!” Brandon beamed as he moved from his parents onto me and Maggie. “Can you believe this, Steph?” In his excitement, he swept me off the ground and then Maggie. “I did it.”

“I never had a doubt that you wouldn’t, Saad,” I slugged his shoulder. “I’m so proud of you.” I opened my arms again and hugged him. “You played a great game and your first goal is on its way.”

He laughed. “Thanks. So Sunday, I’ll pick you up at five?”

“Sure,” I nodded. “Our first and only date.”

“Can’t say I haven’t tried,” Brandon shrugged. “A bunch of us were going to go out. Do you want to come?”

I could practically see Maggie shaking like a puppy in her excitement and I hated to kill it, but we both had class in the morning.

“Next time then,” Brandon said after I delivered the news. “No excuses.”

We stayed a while longer in the lounge with Maggie looking to get another peek at Sharpie and Jon. I saw him by the back wall talking with Hossa and his wife, but I didn’t point it out to her. He looked a little disgruntled which confused me. He’d played a great game even without a goal.

“He’s mad at me,” Brandon said quietly as I gathered up my purse and adjusted my oversized jersey.

“What are you talking about?” I shook my head at him and my natural waves flopped around.

“Jon,” he jutted his chin in his captain’s direction. “He’s pissed that I got to you first for the event this weekend.”

I rolled my eyes. “He can get over it. But I doubt he’s mad.”

“Jon was going to ask you at the bar,” Brandon repeated almost verbatim from Maggie. “And then you dropped the bomb that I was taking you.”

“I wasn’t aware it was a bomb,” I rolled my eyes. “And it’s not like we won’t all be there together.”

He shrugged. “I guess. Maybe you should say goodbye?”

I looked back at Jon who was now on his phone. “Yeah, maybe I should.”

I told a still disgruntled Maggie that I would meet her at the door and wove my way through the crowd to Jon. He was still tapping away on his iPhone, so he didn’t notice me approach.

“Hey,” I spoke over the still thick crowd. “Don’t look now, but it seems like the vultures are ready to swoop in.”

His head jerked up at my voice and he even broke into a little smile. “Guess it’s a good thing you’re here to save me.”

“Probably so,” I agreed. “I’m headed home now, so I just wanted to say goodbye and congratulations on a good game. Hell of a way to open the season.”

“Yeah,” Jon nodded. “It sure is.”

The feared awkward silence settled in and I shifted around on my feet. “Well, I will see you Sunday at the charity night?”

“Yeah,” he sighed again. “You will.”

As I began to move past him, I placed a hand on his forearm and gave a quick squeeze. “Good game, Master Derp.”

I heard his laugh even as I left the lounge.

*~*~*~*~*~*


Chelsea, Chelsea I believe!

Pardon my excitement; I just got back from my first Blackhawks game at the Madhouse! I can see why it’s one of the most popular venues to watch a game at. Holy shit, you guys, that place was insane!

It’s pretty late right now and I have an early class in the morning, so I just wanted to put a quick update out to talk about the game and such.

I brought along a close friend and was reunited with my second family; the Saads. It was so good to see them again after missing out on my motherly dose since high school. They really haven’t changed at all. Sitting in the stands with them, it felt a lot like when we’d all catch a game of Brandon’s or his older brother’s, George. I got a little nostalgic.

The game was maybe even a little bit of a nail biter with the San Jose Sharks. Putting up quite a fight for the ‘W’, they answered Chicago’s three goals with two of their own. Scoring for the Hawks opened with Hossa in the middle of the first, followed up by two Sharks goals early in the second, a game equalizer by Seabrook, and the winner by Kaner.

All in all, a good night.

Stay classy and sassy, never trashy!
XO- Steph

Current music- Adele is on loop right now. I don’t know why.
♠ ♠ ♠
I keep forgetting to mention that I've grown up just about fifteen minutes from where both Brandon Saad and the Pirates player Neil Walker grew up in Pine Richland. I don't go to school in that district, but I've been to the schools for swim meets and band events.

Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Home Opener