Status: In progress.

Why Do You Make Things So Complicated?

Chapter ten

Another typical, dull Friday night. I couldn't find a way to kill time, and even though I was bored to death, I wasn't in the mood to hang out with my friends.
My ringing cell phone brought me back to reality. I picked it up from my desk and looked at the caller. I didn't know that number. I answered it, though. “Who is it?” I asked and stifled a yawn, not bothering to be kind since I didn't know who called me.
“Um...hi Emily, it's Jason.” I thought of the popular, fair haired guy who took the role of Romeo, a big disliking to Neil, a huge liking to me and Gabriella's heart, and smiled. By saying that Jason took a huge liking to me, I mean an immense one. He's always good and really kind and friendly to me, and always makes small talk with me.
Wait. How did he find my phone number?
“Hi,” I finally spoke. “What's up?”
“I am fine, what about you? I was wondering if you...wanted to hang out with me and my friends tonight?” he asked me.
The words couldn't come out of my mouth. I didn't know what to tell him. On the one hand, he was really kind to me, and I liked him. I wanted to hang out with him. I have known this guy for two weeks and he never said something bad or made fun of me. On the other hand, though, his friends will be there as well. And, as you already know, I don't hang out and get on well with the popular crowd.
But I couldn't tell him no, could I?
“Okay,” I said, “I'll hang out with you guys.”
“That's awesome!” he exclaimed. “I will pick you up around eight.” With that, he hung up.
Wait. Apart from my phone number, how does he even know where I live?
So...what to wear..?
After spending an eternity looking through my clothes and shoes, I finally settled on some black skinnies, a gray sweatshirt, a black leather jacket and my gray Converse sneakers, put on some eyeliner and gray eyeshadow, grabbed my stuff and walked downstairs.
Mom smiled at me. “You look really nice, have fun!” she told me.
I nodded and thanked her. As I was about to ask her what time it was, my eye caught someone, who turned out to be Jason, standing on the pavement while waiting for me. I waved Mom goodbye and walked out of the house.
“Hey!” I smiled at Jason. “You could have come inside, the weather's cold tonight.”
He just shrugged and smiled back at me. “It's okay. Now, let's go, my friends are waiting for us.”
I nodded and we started making our way to the park. “Do I know your friends?” I asked him. Oh. What a stupid question, Emily, I thought and mentally face palmed myself. Please refrain from asking such stupid things next time, of course you know them. I mean, they are popular!
Oh, brain. Didn't I tell you to shut up already?
As we reached the park, I saw Jason waving at someone, who turned out to be the tall, dark haired boy who had insulted Neil when he had asked me if I wanted to take part in that play that the school is organizing. I saw a tall, blonde haired girl who was dressed in a short dress and a pair of hideous bright purple high heels clinging on him.
Oh. They turned out to be Gabriella and her boyfriend.
“This is Emily,” Jason introduced me to his friends and turned around to look at me. “Emily, I think that you know Daniel and Gabriella, right?” he asked.
I shot Jason a death glare. If looks could kill, he'd be six feet under the ground now. He seemed to be taken aback by my reaction. “No need to introduce me, Jason.” I spoke. “I already know your so called friends,” I said. That caused Gabriella's boyfriend, whose name I didn't bother to keep in mind, to glare at me. I glared back at him.
“Oh God!” Gabriella screamed. “That's the girl you wouldn't stop talking about?!” she questioned and pointed an accusing finger at me. “I can't believe my eyes, Jason!” she went on talking. “How could you hang out with her? Seriously? How could you hang out with a freak like Emily?!” She obviously didn't expect to see me.
Ha. Take that, you fake.
I mentally slapped myself for agreeing to hang out with Jason and his friends. I knew that his friends are as popular as him, but I didn't know that he and Gabriella are friends.
I sighed. This is absurd. I'm not going to hang out with my worst enemy.
“Well,” Gabriella went on talking, “if you think that I am going to hang out with a freak like Emily, then you're so wrong. I will never, ever hang out with her!” she yelled and pointed another accusing finger at me.
I ignored Gabriella and her ceaseless whining and turned around to look at Jason. “I want to have a word with you.”
He motioned for me to follow him, and sat down on a bench at the other side of the park. He patted the empty spot next to him, motioning for me to sit there. I shook my head and glared at him. “I don't want to sit next to you!” I yelled. “All I want is an explanation, which I do deserve! Are you insane?” I screamed. “Do you realize what you have done?”
“Tell me.” he said to me, his voice calm. “What have I done?”
I tried my best not to punch him. “Tell me, what have I done?” I mocked him. “You know how much Gabriella and I loathe each other! She hates me, and I hate her pathetic excuse of a human being! You are aware of the fact that she's bullied me lots of times, and she still does, and don't deny it, because I know you know that!” I screamed.
No answer.
“How did you find my phone number?” I questioned.
“Let me explain,” he finally spoke. “You are right. I know that Gabriella and you hate each other. But I thought that if we'd hang out all together, she'd get to know you better. I wanted her to find out that you are really awesome because I want to be friends with you and hang out with you, but we...well, let's just say that we are different.”
“We are different, Jason.” I sighed and sat down next to him. “We could never be best friends. Your friends loathe me, and mine hate you and your friends.”
He just nodded.
“Now, tell me,” I went on, “how did you find my phone number?”
“I will tell you,” he said. “Um...a few days ago, Neil gave me your phone number and suggested that I check you out, but-”
“What the hell are you talking about?!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.
“-but that wasn't my intention, I swear!” he finished.
I shook my head. “I don't believe you. You're lying. I know that Neil would never do something like that. Besides, he would never tell me lies, like you do now. He's not a liar, like you are.”
“But I'm telling you the truth!” he yelled. “You have to believe me!”
“You don't!” I screamed at him as I stood up. “You are a liar, and a fake! I don't believe you! And I don't want to hang out with people like you! You are a horrible person!” Without a second thought, I slapped him hard across the face and walked away.
On my way home, my eye caught a tall, skinny boy dressed in black ripped up skinnies and a black tight fitting T-shirt sitting cross legged on a bench. He was looking down at his hands, and even though his black side fringe and bangs covered his face, I could tell that he was crying.
I didn't know that boy. But all I wanted was to help him.
I sat down next to him and took my hands in his. “You alright?” I asked. “Can I help you?” The boy gasped as he looked at me. Poor boy. Sorry for terrifying you.
“I don't need anyone's help, Emily.” he told me and glared at me.
“No, you do,” I protested as I gave Neil a hug and looked at him. He looked horrible. His eyes were red and swollen, and black eyeliner was running down his cheeks.
I fished a tissue out of my bag and wiped the tears and the running eyeliner off his face. “Here you go,” I smiled. “Now you look better.”
“Thank you Emily.” His voice was soft and low.
“Now, tell me, what's wrong with you?” I asked and put an arm around him.
He shook his head and looked at me. “I am fine,” he told me and forced a fake smile.
“No, you're not,” I argued. “But it's okay if you don't want to talk about it,” I smiled at him.
He smiled back at me. This time, his smile was real. “I don't want to talk about it. Thanks anyways. You are amazing.” He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a massive, tight hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his shoulder. His hug was comforting. He made me feel better.
And before you ask me, no, I'm not falling for him.
“What's up with you?” he asked. “You don't seem to be happy at all.”
I looked up at him. He didn't seem to be upset and sad anymore. “Oh, me? Remember Jason?” I asked him.
He looked at me with a baffled expression on his face. I tried really hard not to laugh and tell him how cute he looks. “Is he the dark haired boy that got on my nerves?” he asked.
I shook my head. “No, it's the other one. The fair haired one.”
He nodded. “What about him?”
“He asked me if I wanted to hang out with him and his friends, and I, being the stupid girl that I am, agreed. His friends turned out to be Gabriella and her boyfriend.” I said.
He frowned and pulled a disgusted face, which made me giggle. “I don't get it why the majority of the students worship that girl. She's fake and really mean.” he said.
I nodded in agreement.
He held my hand in his, which made me blush. “Don't worry. He didn't deserve to be your friend anyways.”
Oh, you like him, you like him, and you-
Shut up brain.