Status: In progress.

Why Do You Make Things So Complicated?

Chapter four

"Hey," Mom spoke as she walked into the house and dumped the food she bought on the kitchen counter. "Remember the raven haired boy with the lip ring?" she asked.
I groaned. "Yes, Mom," I sighed. "I do."
She started laughing and sat down on the couch next to me. "Didn't you like him? I can tell that it was obvious that you did," she said and winked at me.
I punched her playfully. "I didn't," I blushed. "He annoyed the hell out of me, Mom!"
Mom just grinned. "He annoyed the hell out of you, and then you annoyed the hell out of him, and then you started fighting and yelling at each other," she laughed. "I happened to be outside the door when you were yelling and cursing at each other. It was really amusing."
"Mom!" I said, half yelling, half laughing, and threw the pillow I was playing with at her. It hit her square on the head. "I didn't like him at all!"
Mom looked at me as if she was doubting my words. She was right. I was lying. I sighed. "Okay, you won," I said and held my hands up in surrender. "He is handsome. He's really hot! Okay? Happy now?"
She laughed and nodded. "You know, I think that he's a good guy," she started. "I mean, if he was a bad lot or something like that, he wouldn't have helped you out the other week, right?"
I reluctantly nodded, showing Mom that I knew she was right. I just didn't want to admit it. "Yeah, it was really kind of him to help me, and he didn't even know me!"
"See?" Mom smiled. "I found out that his family moved into that house which was on sale. It's a few blocks away. I accidentally ran into his father before. He's such a kind man!" she exclaimed.
"Yeah, yeah, admit that you are developing a massive crush on him..." I teased her.
She threw the pillow back at me. "I am not!" she laughed. "He's nothing more than a good neighbour!"
"For the time being..."
"Oh stop!" Mom giggled and punched me playfully.
"Okay," I laughed as I stood up and placed the pillow on the couch. "I will. I have to get ready for school anyways," I spoke as I glanced at the clock. I only had thirty minutes to get ready.
I stood in front of my closet, wondering what to wear today, and face palmed myself. I hated the fact that even though he had made it clear that he didn't want to be friends with me, I was still thinking of him. I still wanted to be friends with him and get to know him better after all those things that we had said to each other. Okay, I admit that I had irritated him by talking way too much to him. But he was annoying as well.
Whatever. Now back to what I was talking about before. What to wear?
After a few minutes, I threw on my light blue ripped skinnies, and settled on a light pink tank top and Mom's same coloured Converse sneakers. I decided against wearing a jacket due to the warm weather. I put on some eyeliner, grabbed my stuff and walked downstairs.
"Bye Mom," I spoke as I opened the front door. She said something, but I didn't hear her. I was already out of the house and on my way to Hell-oh, I meant on my way to school. I never liked school, but I did not like arriving late either. I always wanted to be wherever I had to be on time.
I frowned as I had to part with my earphones and cell phone. Today's first lesson was Algebra, and the teacher had already caught me sending messages in his class. He made me promise him that I wouldn't take my phone with me in his class again. So I left it in my locker with some other books that I didn't need and started making my way to my first class.
A couple of minutes after the lesson had started, someone knocked on the door. It turned out to be a tall girl with long, blonde hair. "I am sorry for being late," she said, "but I am new here, and I was lost."
The teacher nodded and went on writing a problem on the board. "It's okay," he spoke, "go find a place to sit."
The girl nodded and looked around the class. There were some empty seats near some popular girls and their boyfriends. The girl frowned. It was obvious that she didn't want to sit with them. Then her gaze fell on the empty seat next to me. She looked at me, silently asking me if she could sit next to me. I smiled and nodded at her. I wanted to make a new friend anyways, and she seemed to be really cool.
"Thanks for letting me sit there," the girl said to me as she sat down on the seat next to me and dumped her bag on the floor. "I didn't want to sit with those girls," she told me, referring to the populars.
The teacher turned around and glared at us. I didn't want to get a detention again. I stopped talking for a while and pretended to pay attention to his boring lesson. Luckily, the girl passed me a note. "God, he's so strict...I wanted to keep talking with you..." the note said.
I looked at the girl, who looked back at me. "He is really boring, and I despise his lesson. You're new here, right?" I wrote on the paper and passed it to her.
We ended up passing notes to each other. I found out that her name's Isabella. We decided to meet each other at lunch and sit together.
Luckily, after what seemed like an eternity, the class was over. As the bell rang, I jumped out of my seat. Damn that bell. Every time it rang, it terrified me. It was so loud that there were times I even had to cover my ears for fear of becoming a deaf person. I know, I am exaggerating, but...well, you get me, right? I looked around me and tried to hold back my laughter. Most of the students had fallen asleep, and I admit being one of them. I fell asleep towards the end.
Lunch time with Isabella turned out to be great and really fun. We sat together and got to know each other better. "Oh God," Isabella laughed, "did he really do it?" she asked.
I nodded and burst out laughing. I had just told her about the kid that the Algebra teacher had told him to solve a difficult problem the other day. He grabbed the sponge and erased the numbers. "Problem solved, sir." he had told him. "Yeah, he did. It was really hilarious," I said as I finally managed to stop laughing.
"I should have been there to see that," she laughed. "Too bad I only got enrolled here a couple of days ago..."
I shrugged. "I don't know if you will like it here, though..." I said.
Her smiling expression changed into a puzzled one. Oh no. I didn't mean to scare her or confuse her. "Sorry if I frightened or puzzled you." I spoke.
Isabella just shook her head and smiled at me, showing that it was okay. "It's alright, I understand what you mean. People aren't always nice, and, of course, there are all those students who are mean to others for no reason...or for a reason that only they know..." she said.
I nodded in agreement. "I finally found someone who agrees with me on that. I don't get it. There are those people who make fun of you for no reason, and other people laugh with them, as if that's funny." I told her. Oh, being laughed at was one of the things that happened almost every day, if not every day, due to all those people. They're getting better and better in breaking your heart and hurting your feelings. As if I annoyed them or something. No, I didn't.
"Oh, I finally found you!"
We both turned around to see who talked to us. A tall girl with long, brown hair and glasses, dressed in jeans, a sweatshirt and Converse sneakers was standing there, looking at Isabella.
"Hey, want to sit with us?" I offered and smiled at the girl. Wow. I never expected myself to be social and make friends with other kids. But here I was. I was going to make two friends. That's a new record for me.
The girl smiled at me. "Thanks, I would love to," she smiled and sat down on the seat next to Isabella. "I am Maria, by the way. Nice to meet you," she told me and held out her hand.
"My name's Emily," I said and we shook hands. "How do you know Isabella, by the way?" I asked her.
"Oh, I am new here, and I got lost. A teacher told her to show me around." Maria said as she started eating.
I nodded, then looked down at my lunch and frowned. There were, and still are, times when the food here is awesome. But there are also times that the food sucks. Example given, today's food. I pushed the tray aside and went on talking with Maria and Isabella, trying to get to know them better. I didn't want to eat. All I wanted was to make some friends, and I think I'm actually succeeding in doing so.
"Hey, what's your next class?" Maria asked us.
"Mine is Music!" Isabella said excitedly after she looked at her new schedule. "It's going to be awesome!"
"Lucky you," I sighed. "Mine's PE. I really loathe that lesson...and I can't sit at the back of the class and sleep like I do when the lesson is dull."
Isabella shrugged. "I really feel for you. Luckily, it's the last class."
"Oh, look! The freaks decided to make friends with each other!"
We turned around to find out who was that jerk who laughed at us. It turned out to be one of the popular guys. He looked at his friends. Some of them weren't laughing. When their leader, or whatever that idiot was, looked at them, they automatically started laughing. I frowned again. I really felt for them. They were all fake. At least I wasn't doing what other people wanted me to do. I was doing what I wanted to do. I was being myself. And that made me happy.
I looked at those boys. I could see pain and sadness in their eyes, that's the only thing they expressed. I could tell that, but their so called friends couldn't. To put it simply, they don't care about them. All they care about is their selves.
"Oh, did you guys decide to make fun of us because you know we're better than you are?" Isabella retorted and smirked at the jocks, who looked at each other in disbelief, obviously not expecting to be scolded. Before they could speak, Isabella went on talking.
Maria and I tried our best to keep a straight face, but failed in that. "Oh, it's about time someone told those guys off!" I laughed.
One of them glared at me. "We will deal with you later." Then they walked away. One of them stayed where he was and didn't follow them, though. "Who the hell are you to tell us off?!" he yelled at Isabella.
Isabella just shrugged and took a bite of her sandwich. "Just a girl who's obviously better than you could ever be," she said.
The guy walked away without saying anything.
"Oh God, that was awesome!" I laughed and high fived Isabella. "Rarely ever do I tell them off!"
Isabella just smiled at Maria and me and shrugged. "I'm used to telling off annoying people. I can't put up with a person, especially a guy, who is rude and insults me."
"Tell me about it..." Maria shrugged. "They are so damn immature that I'm under the impression they will never grow up."
Luckily, my last lesson went by quickly, to my surprise. When I got back home, I saw Mom doing some paperwork. She looked up at me and put the papers aside. "Oh, you're back," she smiled at me. "How was your day?"
I smiled as I took off my shoes, dumped my bag on the floor and sat down next to her. "It was actually good. I made friends with some girls."
"That's awesome!" Mom said.
I nodded. "Yeah, both of them are pretty cool. Isabella is really good at telling off stupid people. She scolded some guys who were annoying us." I laughed. "I was thinking of inviting them over in the evening, is that alright with you?"
Mom, being the friendly and really easy going person that she is, nodded and smiled at me. "Of course yes!"
Time seemed to be going by quickly. After I had finished my homework, I slipped on my shoes, grabbed my stuff and made tracks for the music store. I go there at least once a week. Killing time by looking at various music instruments and other things can be pretty entertaining.
As I walked into the store, I bumped into someone. "I am sorry," I started talking, but the person cut me off. "No need to apologize to your friend, you idiot," she said. I looked up. It was Isabella.
"Hey," I smiled, "you here too?"
Isabella nodded. "Yeah, we moved here a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to come and check that store out. It's awesome!" she exclaimed. "My eye caught an awesome bass guitar before," she smiled. "I'm planning on saving up money to buy it."
"Oh, that's cool!" I nodded in agreement. "I got the guitar that I wanted a couple of months ago."
Isabella smiled, and we went on talking for I don't know how long. While talking, she stopped. She was looking at a guy who was gazing at a beautiful guitar. "Wait a second, I'm going to greet Neil, the guy over there," she said, pointed at a tall guy and walked up to him.
I took a good look at him. He seemed to be familiar to me. He looked a lot like the annoying guy who had helped me out all those weeks ago, and annoyed the hell out of me in hospital. He was dressed in black skinny jeans, black Converse sneakers and a plaid black T-shirt.
"Hey, Emily," Isabella called out, "come here!"
I didn't say anything. I just walked up to them. I looked up at the guy. I hated the fact that both he and Isabella were so tall that the only way to look into their eyes was to look up at them. When I looked up at the guy, he looked down at me. When I looked into his amazing light gray eyes and found out who he was, I almost screamed and refrained myself from punching him.
"You again?" I glared at him.
He frowned and sent me a death glare. "You again?" he mocked me.
I sighed. I was standing there at a loss of words, unable to tell him off for being so irritating. In the end, I started talking again. "Don't mock me, you idiot!" I hissed and pointed an accusing finger at him.
The guy just shrugged as he put his hands in his jeans pockets. "Hey, what did you expect me to do? It was you who wouldn't stop annoying me!" he yelled.
I raised one eyebrow. "Oh really?" I glared at him. "But it was you who was so fucking rude and ignored me!"
He started laughing. "What?! Did you expect us to become best friends or something?"
"What?!" I mocked him. "Of course no! Who told you that I want to be friends with someone as rude and annoying as you?!"
"Hey, you-" he started, but I put my hand over his mouth and cut him off. "Shut up!" I yelled, trying not to scream and make an exhibition of myself again.
Out of the blue, Isabella burst out laughing. "Oh, you're so funny when you're fighting!" she giggled.
The guy and I looked, actually glared at each other, and the glared at Isabella. "What?!" we both exclaimed at the same time. I looked back at the guy. "Damn you! Stop mocking me!" I shouted at him.
The guy just ignored me.
"How do you two know each other?" Isabella asked us.
"Unluckily, we were sharing a room where we were hospitalized," I sighed. "I still don't know why I didn't tear off his head." I said and glared at him.
"I'm still wondering why I didn't kill you," he retorted and glared at me for the trillionth time. If looks could kill, I'd be dead now.
"Come on, Isabella," I sighed and dragged her out of the store with me, "it's about time we walked away."
Isabella was laughing on the whole way from the store to my house. "You two are hilarious!" she exclaimed.
"Whatever." I shrugged.
"Hey," Isabella started as she finally stopped laughing, "I caught you two staring into each other's eyes before."
"So what?" I asked. "This doesn't mean anything."
"It does," Isabella sang. "You like him, and he likes you back!"
I shook my head. "No. Why would I like a rude, annoying idiot?" I asked her. "He hates me, and so do I!"
Isabella shrugged. "At least admit that he's really hot."
I shook my head. "He is not." I lied. "I don't like him." As I had told you when I first saw him, he's not just handsome. He's beautiful. But, of course, I'm not going to admit it.
"I think that you're going to fall hard for him," Isabella told me.
Again, I shook my head. I wasn't going to fall for a rude, annoying idiot.