Status: In progress.

Why Do You Make Things So Complicated?

Chapter six

Waking up to a cloudy sky and rain sucks. I woke up and reluctantly got out of my warm, comfortable bed, only to see that it was raining cats and dogs.
Having to go to school when the weather brings you down and the rain won't stop falling sucks even more.
I sighed as I walked out of the bathroom and looked at my clock. I only had a quarter to get ready. I quickly threw on a pair of gray ripped skinnies with a dark purple sweatshirt and my black combat boots. I fixed my long red hair and put on some eyeliner before putting my books and the stuff that I needed in my gray messenger style bag, then ran out of the house, hoping that I would make it to my first class on time. Luckily I had dumped an umbrella in my bag the other day. I could as well use it.
My cell phone buzzed in my jeans pocket. It turned out to be Isabella. "Take a wild guess! ;)" the message said. Oh, no. I wasn't in the mood to guess what the matter was. I would find out in a few minutes anyways. Besides, I was tired. I couldn't care less. I just wanted to go to my class and sleep. At least it wasn't raining in there.
I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't see the rock in front of me and slipped on it. I fell down on the cold, hard, wet pavement. Oh. That hurt a lot. What a way to start your already bad day. I stood up quickly, so I managed not to get wet.
A few seconds later, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a boy around my age looking at me with a worried look on his face. "Are you alright?" he asked. I almost jumped up, he scared me a bit. I didn't expect that someone would come up to me.
"Sorry if I scared you," the boy apologized. "I just wanted to see if you're okay."
I nodded. "I am okay, thanks." I said. I took a better look at the boy. He had slightly tanned skin, short dark hair and brown eyes. He looked like a typical jock.
The guy held out his hand. "I am Taylor, nice to meet you." he said and smiled at me.
"I am Emily," I told him and we shook hands. Turns out that he's enrolled in my school. He got under my umbrella and we made our way to school together, talking about random stuff.
"It's the first time I have seen you around," I said.
Taylor nodded. "Yeah, my family moved here the previous week. What about you?" he asked me, still looking at me.
I shrugged as I kicked a rock with the toe of my boot. "I have been living here since I was born." I said.
"I don't want to insult you," he started, "but you're not one of those annoying popular girls, are you?" he asked.
I shook my head. "No, of course not. I don't get along with them. And, believe me, I am everything but popular." I said. "I'm obviously their worst enemy," I went on talking. "I don't understand why they hate me so much, they have just developed huge hatred for me, and it won't go away."
Taylor frowned. "Oh, I'm sorry...that sucks."
I shrugged. "Don't be. No need to apologize."
He just smiled at me. I had a feeling that Taylor and I were going to become good friends...unless he was planning on becoming one of the populars. Who knows what might happen in the future...there are some people who get to know you well, and then they show their true colours and break your heart in two. There are people who are not what they want to be or what they really are, and you trust them. Then they betray you and show you how horrible they are. My point is, I hope he won't be one of them.
"Welcome to Hell," I joked as we walked into the school building. Nice. At last I was indoors, where it wasn't raining.
"Oh, thanks," Taylor laughed. He was about to say something, but stopped when a girl walked up to us and winked at him. She wrote something, probably her phone number, in a piece of paper, and gave it to him. I looked up at her. It turned out to be Gabriella. How come her girl friends weren't running after her, I didn't know. I wasn't interested in knowing why either.
Gabriella shot me a death glare, then kissed Taylor, who was taken aback by surprise, and walked away. The clicking sound that her hideous green high heels freaked me out for some reason. Taylor turned around to look at me. "What was that for?"
I shrugged. "She is popular, she is a bitch, and she is crazy." I said. "Didn't you like her? The majority of guys have fallen for her."
He pulled a disgusted face and shook his head no. "I didn't. She is fake. She is under the impression she's pretty, even though she's not." he said while throwing the piece of paper in which Gabriella's phone number was written in the trash bin, where it belonged. He turned around to look at me. "But you," he pointed at me, "you are really beautiful."
I just mumbled a thanks, since I didn't know what to say. Rarely ever did someone say that they think I am beautiful or something. I turned around and opened my locker so as he wouldn't notice that I had blushed fiercely.
I took the books that I needed for my first lesson and turned around to look at Taylor after I made sure I wasn't blushing. I sighed. Boys are so weird. They compliment on you, and the next minute, they're the ones to tell you that you're ugly and that those popular girls are so much better than you could ever be. I never said I believe in what they say, but telling others whether or not you think they look nice is a waste of time, since after that you lie to them and say completely different things.
They can be idiots at times. They can be sweet and cute and tell you lots of sweet things that you're going to believe in, and after a few weeks they are like "I never loved you" and "We are over." It's just stupid, isn't it? What I want to say is that they can break your heart and hurt you.
"Oh, we finally found you! Where were you, Emily?"
I turned around to see who was talking to me. Isabella and Maria were standing there. Both of them were smirking, and I could say that they were up to a mischief or something.
"Hey," I smiled as they walked up to us. "What are you up to?"
They looked at each other, giggled, then looked back at me. "Guess what!" Maria smiled after they had introduced theirselves to Taylor.
I sighed. "Yeah, Isabella's text said the same thing. What's the matter?" I asked them.
Isabella smiled at me. "I found out who's the new guy in my Art class. And I am sure you want so bad to meet him."
"But I don't even know the guy," I protested.
Maria shook her head and giggled. "No," she told me, "you do know him."
"Then who is he?"
Isabella pretended to zip her mouth and Maria giggled even more. "It's a surprise!" she grinned. Oh. A surprise. Surprises are annoying. End of story. And I'm not told who the new guy is either. Ughhh.
"Oh, there he is!" said Maria. "No need to guess." She looked at Isabella, who looked back at her, and they started giggling again. Then they turned around to look at someone who just walked in. They're probably up to something that has to do with that guy and me.
I turned around to look at the kid they were looking at. I did everything within my power so as not to stare at him like he was an angel that fell from Heaven or something.
The kid Isabella and Maria were talking about was Neil.
No matter how much I wanted to stop staring at that annoying, yet beautiful idiot, I couldn't. He was standing only a few feet away from me, trying to open his locker. He was dressed in a pair of black ripped skinnies, the black combat boots he wore when I first saw him and a black sweatshirt, which was wet due to the heavy rain. His raven black hair were wet as well, even though he was wearing the hood of his sweashirt. Only when he looked at my direction did I notice that he wore a lip ring and those awesome black fingerless gloves. I didn't see his eyes, though. He wouldn't look towards me.
"I knew that you'd end up staring at him!" Isabella squealed.
"I didn't!" I argued and punched her playfully. Well...I admit staring at him. What?! I couldn't help it! The fact that he looks perfect and flawless is not my fault! And do you know what the worst part is? I think he caught me staring at him. I also think that he blushed when he caught me staring at him.
"Why don't you go and talk to him?" Maria suggested.
I looked at her as if she was crazy, which she was. "What?!" I exclaimed. "No! If I try and make friends with him, he will either start chasing me around the school with a kitchen knife or shove me into his locker! That's how much he hates me!" I sighed. The truth is that I really wanted to talk with him, I wanted to be friends with him so bad that you can't even imagine...Even if he was nothing more than a annoying, yet beautiful idiot to me, I still wanted to get to know him better.
I am pathetic. End of story.
"Maria is right," said Isabella. "And believe me, that kid wouldn't even hurt a fly! How could he hurt you? You are going crazy."
"I think that he has anger management issues," I went on talking, "and I also think that he takes out his anger on me."
Maria and Isabella sighed. "You are going crazy," Isabella repeated.
I shook my head no.
"Yes, you do." they both said in unison and nodded in agreement.
I was about to go on arguing, but was cut off by a loud bang. I turned around to see who was causing noise. It turned out to be Neil, who punched his locker. I started laughing. The sight of him trying to open his locker was really amusing.
"I will go and talk to him." I announced, grabbed my stuff and walked over to where he was. He kicked his locker, but didn't succeed in opening it. "Do you need help?" I asked him.
He stopped attacking his locker with kicks and punches and turned around to look at me with a look full of anger. "No. I can do this on my own." He glared at me. "You know what, I don't need any help. Especially yours. And, just to know, you're the last person I wanted to see today."
"You're really talented and your voice is awesome," I said, changing the subject.
He went on trying to open his locker, but, on hearing my words, he stopped kicking his locker and looked at me. "Thanks." he said. He didn't seem to be angry. His voice was low, and barely audible, as it was when he first talked to me and asked me if I was okay. To my surprise, he was looking at me in the eyes. Only then did I notice that he was listening to the music. I grabbed one of his earphones and put it on. Oh, that song...
"Do you like Paramore too?" I smiled.
He didn't look at me or smiled back. He never smiled anyways. "They're one of my favourite bands," he said, still looking away. He went on talking after a couple of seconds. "Why don't you go and hang out with your friends?" he asked and looked at me. I felt like an ice cream melting during a hot day. I just couldn't stop looking into those amazing eyes of his. "No one wants to hang out with me anyways."
"I just want to find out why you hate me so much." I shrugged and looked away.
"Who said that I hate you?"
I looked at him again. He was looking at me. I looked into his breathtaking eyes one more time. I could tell that he wasn't lying to me. He said he didn't hate me. And even though he didn't like me, I believed him. I didn't know why. I just did. "Won't you tell me the reason why you act like an idiot?" I asked.
He sighed as he kicked his locker for what seemed to be the trillionth time. This time, he succeeded in opening his locker. "You know what," he started, "just go away. Stay away from me. You don't want to hang out with a loser like me anyways. I am a freak. Go away."
I frowned, then looked at him in the eyes. "You are not a freak." I told him. "Do you know what? All I wanted was to get to know you better, but you don't let me do so. It's obvious that you don't like me." I walked away from him. When I turned around to see if he was still standing there, I caught him staring at me. He blushed and looked down at his feet.
"Hey, what did he say?" Isabella asked me on our way to our first class.
I shook my head. She understood that I wasn't in the mood to talk. "Nothing. I am still wondering why I decided to go and talk to him."
Isabella shrugged. "Sorry. I thought it was a good idea to talk you into talking to him."
I smiled at her. "Hey, no need to apologize. I was the one who decided to talk to him. I don't get it how he can be kind but also a jerk at the same time," I sighed as we sat down on a desk at the back of the class.
I saw Taylor sitting on the desk in front of us. "Hey, just ignore that idiot," he smiled at me.
"He is not an idiot!" I protested. The reason I protested is something I still don't know. I just did. I felt the need to do so.
"He's not worthy of you." Taylor argued. I just ignored him. Taylor gave me the impression that he really despised Neil for some reason.
Is it so bad that I want to get to know an annoying, aggressive, yet beautiful idiot better..?