Status: In progress.

Why Do You Make Things So Complicated?

Chapter eight

The flowers were being too bright and colourful for my liking. The majority of the students were being way too kind and cheerful. The sun was really bright. In addition to all those annoying things that got on my nerves, I saw a really bad dream, due to which I woke up at three in the morning.
According to my dream, I was out, and it was scary. Then someone, who turned out to be a girl, started screaming at someone else, who turned out to be a really terrified guy. The girl was screaming things like “Why can't you be normal?!” and “You're such a pathetic loser!” She was beating him. I found myself wanting to help the boy, but I couldn't. The boy turned out to be Neil, and the girl turned out to be Gabriella. In the end, she stabbed him with a knife and killed him.
My day sucked, to say the least.
I fell asleep as I got back from school. I saw the same dream again, and I woke up screaming. What had happened? Was Neil alright? Did something bad happened to him?
I looked around me. It was still four in the afternoon, and the sun was shining. I breathed a sigh of relief. It was nothing more than a dreadful nightmare.
My phone rang. I had a message from Neil. I smiled. When I read his message, my smile was replaced by a frown. “I am still really sorry about the way I treated you.” it said.
I sighed. It's been two weeks since we became friends. We started talking more, sat together in some of our common classes, and we even went to the cinema. He keeps telling me that he's sorry about the way he treated me in the past, though, and seems to be really guilty every time he talks about it and apologizes. I got tired of telling him that there's no need to apologize anymore. He still apologizes, even though I have told him a gazzilionth times what whatever happened belongs to the past now, and I have forgotten about it. If I wouldn't accept his apology that day, then we wouldn't be friends now. Me accepting his apology means that every thing's alright.
He doesn't seem to understand it, though. I sighed and decided not to text him back.
Or maybe I will...
“Don't you dare apologize again or I will steal your cell phone away from you so as you won't apologize again.” I pushed the send button.
To my surprise, he didn't apologize again, which is good. “You can't. I will turn on the alarm -.-” he teased me.
I laughed. “Whatever ._.”
A question popped into my head. Why don't all those people want to get to know him better? When I first saw him, which was the day when he helped me out at the park, he looked really angry and frightening, but that was only because he was yelling and cursing at Gabriella and the others.
Why don't they..?
Oh. Another brainstorm.
“Hey, Mom,” I spoke as I walked downstairs and sat down next to Mom, who was reading a romance novel, “I came up with a really nice idea! Can I invite over all of my friends?”
She turned around to look at me and smiled. “Of course yes! Plus, I still haven't met Isabella and Maria! And I only saw Neil once while walking down the street. He is really kind.” she said.
I nodded, and, for some reason, I blushed. “Yeah, he is really nice.” I nodded in agreement.
“Oh, you like him!” Mom smiled.
I quickly shook my head and laughed. “No, I don't. I only like him as a friend!” I protested.
“But you laughed!” she retorted.
I shrugged. Oh, well, I did. It is so annoying when you are honest and tell the truth but happen to laugh at the same time and nobody believes you. “I told you the truth.” I said.
Mom just grinned. “You may as well order pizzas and rent a movie,” she suggested and pointed a finger at the counter. “I am going to leave some money for you there, then I will go out with Christa,” she said, referring to her best friend since middle school.
I nodded and texted everyone to come over around seven, then went through Mom's DVD collection and chose a movie that was both a thriller and a love story. Oh, that's going to be awesome...
That night turned out to be good. It turned out to be really, really awkward for me, though. I ended up sitting on the floor between Taylor and Neil, and that's what made the whole situation even more awkward for me.
Oh, let me tell you that I didn't go out with Taylor. I actually canceled it. Since the day he asked me out, all he's doing is staring at me, talking with me and hanging out with me. He's really nice, but that's kind of annoying. I mean, he shouldn't be dependent on me. He has other friends to hang out with as well. And so do I.
When he looks at me, he makes me blush. When he smiles and me, I blush even more. I don't know how to react, and the fact that I have a crush on him doesn't make matters any better. Right?
I can honestly say that I have feelings for him, but they're not so strong. Somehow I ended up being attracted to Neil, even though I am perfectly sure that I only like him as a friend, and he is a really good friend. Besides, he could never develop feelings for me, let alone fall in love with me.
Towards the end of the movie, the main characters kissed. It was then that Taylor wrapped an arm around me and kissed my cheek.
“You look cute together!” Andy squealed.
“Oh, shut up,” I laughed and looked down at my feet. I had blushed fiercely for the trillionth time that day, and I sure as hell didn't want Taylor to see me blushing one more time. It just wasn't necessary.
“I believe that Neil and Emily look adorable together.” Lewis said. Neil, who was too busy making small talk with Yvonne, turned around and looked at Lewis and me. Isabella just smirked, and then she and Maria nodded in agreement.
I turned around to look at Neil, who looked at me and shrugged, then grinned at me. I just laughed. I think that he actually blushed a bit, which was something I found really cute.
Oh well...stop thinking about it. He would never like me back.