Unexpected Love

NFC Championship Game

Colin had to buckle down the rest of the week and practiced harder than he ever had before. He wanted to win the championship more than anything. He would leave early in the morning before Eden was up and wouldn’t get home until late when she was asleep. Eden knew this game was important to Colin but she was starting to miss him. She never said anything because she didn’t want him to lose focus. The game was only a day away and Colin was tense. It was the first time they actually saw each other awake in 3 days. Colin took Eden out to dinner so they could have some quality time together. They sat in silence. They didn’t really have anything to say to each other. It felt like an awkward first date.
“How’s it going?” Eden asked Colin.
“It’s good. How’s it going with you?”
“Fine. I found a clinic looking for a partner so I’m looking into doing that with Evan. I should hear something within the next week or so.”
“That’s good. Now you won’t be so bored around the house.”
“I’m not bored. I go out and do stuff all the time. I’m hardly at home during the day.”
“I just meant it would be nice for you to start your career up again.”
“You made it sound like I don’t do anything but sit around.” Eden said defensively.
“Well I didn’t mean it that way. Sorry to offend you.”
They didn’t talk the rest of the evening. Tensions were high when they got home. From not being able to talk to each other for 3 days was taking its toll on both of them. It seemed like every time they talked to each other it would end up in an argument. And they were arguing about nothing.
“I don’t know what your problem is Eden but I’m tired of it!”
“My problem? You’re the one walking around with a chip on your shoulder pissed off at the world!”
“You’re so moody all the time I can’t talk to you without you flying off the handle!”
“You don’t talk to me at all Colin! We haven’t talked in 3 days! You’re walking around like everything’s just dandy and ignore me completely! If you talked to me you’d know that I got offered a position as a veterinarian at one of the top facilities in Hawaii but I turned it down to stay with you. Instead I wanted to become a partner in a smaller clinic so I could stay here. I would give everything up if it meant being with you. But you don’t even give me the time of day anymore. We haven’t even been together a week and we’re already at each other’s throats. Before everything happened we just clicked. We were never like this. I know you have a lot on you right now but you’re not supposed to shut the ones out who love you. Maybe we rushed into things, I don’t know but I don’t want to keep doing this if this is all we’re ever going to do. I’m going to go stay at my mom’s awhile and give us some time apart to cool off.”
“You’re running again.”
“I’m not running. I’m just giving us time to both think about what we want.”
“Are you still coming tomorrow?”
“I’ll let you decide if you want me there or not.” Eden said grabbing her bag, phone and keys heading out the door giving Colin a kiss on the head as she left.
What did Colin want? He always thought he wanted Eden in his life. He loved her but she was right about the fighting. His house felt empty without her, like she was meant to be there regardless. Yes he wanted her but she was right they both needed time to cool off to re-evaluate their relationship. He was so happy he’d got her back he never thought they were moving too fast but maybe they were. He heard the door open and turned to see Eden coming in.
“I forgot Brutus; I’ll be gone in a few minutes.”
“Don’t go. Let’s talk, no fighting or making each other mad just us talking like we used to.”
Eden sat her stuff down and walked over to the couch. Keeping her distance from Colin.
“I’m sorry I haven’t been able to be with you as much. My career is really important to me and this game is a really big deal. I don’t want you to move out or anything but maybe we should slow down and kind of start over. I think we’re both having trouble letting go of the past and we need to so we can move forward. I won’t keep you from going to Hawaii for that job if that’s what you want. I don’t want to hold you down and I don’t want you to feel like I do. I want you to be happy; if it’s not with me then I’ll let you go. I don’t want to but I love you and your happiness means something to me.”
“I’m not going to Hawaii. Sure it would be a great job but I told you before there’s nothing there for me besides my dad. I’d be lonely. You’ve never held me back. I get your job is important but so are the people you love. I want to be there for you every step of the way but we have to communicate with each other.”
“That job is perfect for you though. It’s a great opportunity.”
“Yea it is but something better can always happen later on. You only come once in a lifetime and I’d be a fool if I left you again.” She said going over to sit next to him.
“I’d be a fool if I let you leave again.”
“Yea you would.” Eden said smiling at him.
“So are we good now because I hate when we fight.”
“I kind of like when we fight.”
“Why?” he asked confused.
“Because we get to have awesome make up sex.” She said pulling him off the couch and up to their room.
Colin woke up the next day feeling relaxed. He had Eden to thank for that. He was ready to go play his heart out. He could taste the championship. He and Eden arrived separately at the stadium. She went to sit with his family. She was excited to finally see Colin play in person. She was nervous for him but she knew he’d do great. She sent him a quick text message before the game started telling him good luck and that she was proud of him no matter what. Finally the guys made their way on the field for warm ups. She spotted Colin right away. He spotted her right away as well and gave her a wink as he started to stretch. Eden thought he was purposely stretching in suggestive ways to get her all hot and bothered. He knew the kind of effect on her, that’s why she never went to work out with him. When he was done he turned and gave her a sexy smile that made her swoon in her seat. That man was going to be the death of her someday.
Finally the game started and Colin was doing great. But Eden was biased and thought he was better than any player in the NFL. She was getting nervous since they hadn’t done so great in the first half but she was optimistic they would come back killer in the second half. She wanted to see Colin win. Just as she predicted the guys came out in the second half killing it. The 49ers won 28-24. They were going to the super bowl!
After Colin celebrated with his teammates and did press interviews he met up with Eden who ran to him and gave him the biggest kiss she could.
“I’m so proud of you baby! You did it!” she said kissing him again.
“I didn’t think we were going to win there for a bit.”
“I knew you would. You wanted it too bad to not win.”
“I’m glad you have so much faith in me.” He said smiling.
“I always do.”
“Let’s go celebrate. Oh I got you a shirt.”
“I actually already got one. I bought it before the 4th quarter was over. I knew you’d win. And what do you have in mind Mr. Kaepernick?”
“Oh I think you know Miss. Eden.” he said winking.
“You’re a bad, bad boy.” She said play hitting him.
“And I’m going to make you a bad, bad girl.” He said pushing her up against a wall.
“As much as I love to stay here and keep this going, you’re parents are going to be here any minute to take you out. And I don’t want pictures of us getting it on, on the internet or newspapers in the morning.” She said pushing him away.
“You’re such a tease. As soon as we’re done tonight you’re all mine when we get home.”
“I figured as much. Let’s go meet your family before they come looking for us and find us in a compromising position.” She said walking away making her hips sway a little more than usual.
“That girl is going to be the death of me.” He thought to himself.