Unexpected Love

Just A Little Family Drama

After Colin winning the championship game he was in a better mood than he had in weeks. He also knew he had to leave in a few days to New Orleans for practice for the super bowl. He wasn’t sure how he and Eden would do apart. He was worried about another fight. He thought about asking her to come but he knew she would just say no. she didn’t want to be a distraction or in the way.
“Hey babe? We need to talk about something.” Colin said.
“Ok what’s up?” she said worried.
“So you know how I leave for New Orleans in a couple of days?”
“Yes….”
“Why don’t you come with me?”
“…”
“Did you hear me?”
“Yea. Why do you want me there? I mean I’m obviously coming for the game. I wouldn’t miss that for the world but why do you want me there for practice? I would just be in the way. I wouldn’t be of any use to you.”
“You could be of use in other ways.” He said winking.
“Colin.” she said giggling.
“Just think about it. Everyone else’s families will be there and I like to think you’re part of mine so I want you there.”
“Ok, I will think about it but I may have to come a different day. I’m supposed to sign some paperwork for the clinic this week.”
“Really? You’ll think about it?”
“Yes.”
“Do you promise?”
“Cross my heart.” She said crossing her heart.
“I really want you there.”
“I will do my best to be there. I’ll see if maybe we can push the paperwork sooner so I can leave with you.”
“YES!!”
“Oh my gosh you’re such a dork.” She said laughing at him.
“What are you cooking?”
“Some grilled shrimp stuff.” She said laughing.
“Can you cook?” he asked raising an eyebrow.
“Yes. I just don’t cook for you.”
He stuck his tongue out at her and gave her a kiss before he went upstairs to change. When he came back downstairs she was on the phone beaming. Before she hung up she was jumping for joy.
“Guess what?”
“You’re in a really good mood from that phone call.”
“Do you know why?”
“No.”
“I get to sign as a partner with the vet clinic tomorrow and I can start my own practice in as little as 2 weeks. Isn’t that awesome?”
“That is great babe! I’m so proud of you!” he said spinning her around.
“And there’s another plus.”
“What?”
“I get to go with you to New Orleans!”
“Hell yes. I say we celebrate! Forget this I want to take you out. Let’s get our families together tonight.” He said picking up his phone and sending out a mass text.
“What am I supposed to do with all the food I made?”
Brutus came trotting in and went up to the counter and started eating the food Eden made.
“I think you got your answer baby.” He said laughing.
“I guess I’m going to go change then.”
After an hour Colin and Eden met up with their families at a nearby restaurant to celebrate Eden’s recent success. Everyone was chatting and laughing and having a good time when Eden’s stepdad, Jack, asked an awkward question.
“So Colin, when are you going to make an honest woman out of my step-daughter?”
Eden almost spit out her drink and Colin looked like he was about to puke. The room was silent waiting for an answer.
“I, uh, I um, I don’t know?” He said in more of a question.
Jack sat there and stared Colin down and then started laughing.
“I’m just joking kid. I think it was too soon for that promise ring so I really think it’s too soon for marriage.”
“Jack.” Her mom said.
“Well it’s the truth. They don’t even really know each other. Just from when they were younger. They just jumped into a relationship. At least the first time she waited before moving in with him.”
Everyone was silent at the table. Eden was sitting silently unsure of what to do or say. Colin was getting upset and was starting to fume.
“Jack you need to stop. This was supposed to be a nice night out.” Beth said.
“Well what if this doesn’t work out. I hear the phone calls you get when they argue. They can hardly handle being together now. They could never handle being married. Eden I want what’s best for you. I’m not doing this to hurt you but you need to see that you’re never going to be truly happy in a relationship like this. You two fight more than you have happy times. You’re always unhappy when you come over. You gave up a once in a lifetime job. For what? To be some footballer’s side piece.”
Colin stood. Enough of the bashing.
“That’s enough! I’ve had enough of you and everyone else telling me and Eden that we’re no good for each other. Yes we fight but we always make up. If she’s unhappy she knows she can come to me and tell me and she knows she can leave if she wants to. I’m sick of always having to prove that what we have is real. If no one can accept us together than maybe you shouldn’t talk to us at all. Eden are you happy with me? Yes or no.”
“Yes.” She said quietly.
“Do you want to be with me?”
“Yes.” She said again quietly, looking Colin in the eye.
“You may see her as some side piece but to me she’s not. I don’t say anything to anyone because I don’t want the drama and I don’t want to hurt Eden or disrespect anyone but it’s got to stop. Let us live our own lives and let us make our own mistakes together. If it doesn’t work out you can all say I told you so. But I love her whether anyone believes that or not.”
Colin sat back down next to Eden who was trying to hold it together. He protectively put his arm around her and pulled her close to him and kept whispering sweet nothings to her so she would calm down. He could feel her heart almost beating out of her chest. Jeremy cleared his throat to get their attention.
“Colin I know you love her. I see it in your eyes. You look at her like I look at Tanya, like she’s the only girl on this planet. I want you to know I’m on your side rooting for you two. You’re my best friend and my brother. She’s my baby sister. I wouldn’t let you date her if I knew you weren’t a good guy. And I wouldn’t let her date you if I knew she wasn’t a good girl.”
Everyone except Eden’s stepdad and mother nodded in agreement with Jeremy. Eden had finally started to calm down and excused herself to go fix her makeup. Tanya went with her just to make sure she’s ok.
“You look like you could use a drink right now.” Tanya said.
“You have no idea.” Eden sighed.
“I’m really sorry about what jack said. He shouldn’t have done that. Everything was going great.”
“Yea I know. I do love him you know. We may fight a lot but when I want to leave I can’t see myself leaving without him. I don’t make sense without him.”
“Come on. Let’s go get Colin’s sisters and go out tonight. You could use a girl’s night to let loose and get drunk.”
“I really shouldn’t. I have to sign the paperwork tomorrow and I probably shouldn’t be hung over.”
“Just a few. I promise I won’t let you get too crazy.”
“Sure. Why not?” she said smiling.
They went back to the table to notice Eden’s mom and stepdad were gone. Eden went to take her spot next to Colin again.
“Where did mom go?” she asked Jeremy.
“The sitter called. They had to get home to Harper. She threw a fit earlier because she couldn’t come see you guys.” Jeremy said.
“Looks like me and Colin will have to make a date with her to go to build-a-bear or something.”
“I love your sister! We’ll do it as soon as we get back from New Orleans. We should totally keep her for a weekend.” Colin said.
“Oh my sweet, sweet boy you have no idea the words you’re saying right now.” Eden said patting his face.
“What? You’re sister loves me!”
“She loves anyone who will play dress up and be princesses with her and anyone who will spoil her. She’s two remember. Terrible twos. She can be mean.” Jeremy said.
“I think I look great as a prince.” Colin said boastfully.
“Yea in tights and leotard you’re totally sexy baby.” Eden said laughing.
“Shut up! Harper is my BFF.”
“We should leave Colin alone with her for a day and see if he can handle it.” Eden said to Jeremy.
“Fifty bucks says he can’t.” Jeremy said.
“I don’t know. He can put up with me, so I say he can.” Eden said as she and Jeremy shook on it.
“Thanks for believing in me babe.” He said kissing her.
Everyone else was wanting in the bet. Most bet that he couldn’t do it. While only Eden and Colin’s mom said he could.
After they finished at the restaurant Eden went out with Tanya and Colin’s sisters. Before they knew it, it was almost 3 in the morning and Eden was plastered.
Tanya was just as equally drunk.
“So Eden. What’s Colin like in bed? Is he like really kinky and stuff?”
Eden was laughing and turning red.
“Uhh it’s orgasmic is all I’m going to say.” She said laughing.
“That good huh?”
“Oh yea. We do it all the time. Like one time we did it like 8 times in a day. Every time I looked at him I had to have him.”
“Ok we don’t want to hear about Colin’s sex-capades.” his sister in-law said.
“Ladies I think it’s time I go home to my man.” Eden said stumbling to a waiting cab.
“I’m going to crash on your couch tonight. But I don’t want to hear any funny business with you two.” Tanya said to Eden.
When they made it to Eden and Colin’s house, Colin and Jeremy were waiting up worried. They hadn’t heard from the girls all night. When they heard them walking up they went to the door to let them in. both girls were laughing and drunk off their asses.
“Coooollliinnn! I’m home.” Eden sung out.
“Are you drunk?” he asked her.
“Just a wee bit.” She said holding onto the door.
Colin was mad earlier but now he just found this entertaining. Eden couldn’t even walk in a straight line. This is a side Colin had never seen of her.
“Tanya... We should totally play the WII. Let’s play Mario cart!”
“Hey Colin. I heard you’re totally orgasmic in bed. Well done my friend.” Tanya said patting Colin on the back.
Colin turned red. Jeremy was laughing at him. After about an hour the girls were almost passed out. Colin carried Eden over his shoulder upstairs as Jeremy and Tanya crashed on the pull out sofa.
“Co-Colin. I need to tell you some ting.” Eden said tapping his arm.
“What babe?”
“I want to, to to tell you that you’re the bomb. Like you just rock my socks. Ok you are seriously awesome.” She said slurring her words.
“Thanks babe.”
“Oh I forgot something else.”
“What?”
“I love you.” she said giggling like she was just revealing a big secret. Before she knew it she was passed out.
He smiled at the sight in front of him. Drunk or not, just her telling him she loved him made his heart swell.
“I love you too.”