Unexpected Love

The Bet

After the super bowl Colin seemed to be in a better mood. Mainly he was excited to see Eden’s sister Harper. She always put a smile on his face. She was 2 in a half and very sassy and much like Eden. When the doorbell rang Tuesday afternoon he sprinted to answer the door.
“Hi!” He almost shouted.
“Hi Cowin.” Harper said.
Eden came up behind them to say hi to her mom and sister. After they said goodbye to Eden’s mom they made their way into the living room.
“Guess where we’re going today Harper.” Eden said.
“Built a bear!” harper exclaimed
“Technically it’s Build a Bear but who cares.” Eden said.
“Is Cowin going?” Harper asked.
“Yes I am!” Colin said excitedly.
“Let’s go now!” Harper yelled.
“I’ll go put her car seat in the car.” Eden said as she left the other two alone.
“Harper come here. Can you keep a secret?”
“Yes!”
“Look what I got Eden. I’m going to make her a special teddy bear and put this around it.” He said showing Harper the ring.
“Pretty.” Harper said.
“You can’t tell her about it ok. It’s a really special surprise.” He said.
“Otay!”
“Ok guys the car seats ready. Are you two ready?” Eden said.
“We are so ready! Right Harper?” Colin said.
“Yep!”
The trio made their way to build a Bear and were happy when it wasn’t busy. Eden helped Harper pick out her bear which was hot pink and Eden picked out a brown one. Colin couldn’t decide between the panda bear and a dog that looked similar to Brutus. He knew Eden loved both. He finally chose the panda bear. They got their bears stuffed and did the wish with the heart. Harper had a hay day finding something to dress her bear in and finally settled on a Disney princess dress. Eden chose a 49er’s jersey for hers. Colin found a white shirt that said ‘Marry Me’ on it for his bear. He turned the shirt inside out so Eden couldn’t see what it said.
When it came time to naming the bears Harper had picked ‘Cinderella’. Eden named hers Colin Bear and Colin was stumped. He wanted something clever that Eden wouldn’t figure out what he was doing. So he just decided to name his bear Eden.
“So what’s your bear’s name?” Eden asked Colin.
“Fluffy.” He said.
“Cute.” Eden giggled.
“What’s yours name?” Colin asked Eden
“Don’t laugh.”
“I won’t.”
“I named him Colin Bear, that way when you have to leave and I can’t be with you I still have something named Colin to snuggle up to. And he’s wearing a Niners jersey.” She blushed.
“That’s sweet babe.” He said giving her a quick kiss.
“I wuv my bear.” Harper said to them.
“I’m so glad to hear that Harp.” Eden said.
They decided to grab lunch at Wendy’s and then headed home.
“Ok guys, I have to leave for a while to go to the clinic. Harper be good for Colin. Colin, win me some money.” She said.
After Eden left Colin was a little unsure of what to do with Harper.
“Ok Harper what do you want to do?” Colin asked the vibrant 2 year old.
“Dress up.” She said simply.
Colin texted Eden.
What do I do? She wants to play dress up!
She has a bag of dresses with her stuff and she can use my makeup. Have fun =]
He was not putting on makeup.
“Cowin, I got my dress. You have to have on a dress too.” She said
“What if I’m the prince?”
“No Brut is.” She said pointing to the sleeping dog.
“Ok then what do you think I should wear.”
Harper ran to her bag and pulled out a dark red dress with puffy sleeves and shoulder pads.
“Daddy wears this.” She said bringing him the dress.
“Are you sure you don’t need a prince?” He said holding the dress up.
“Yep. I need make up.”
“Let me go get Eden’s make up.”
He came back and Harper had set up a tea party.
“Yay! Make up! I put on first. Then I put on you.”
“Oh no that’s ok. I don’t need any.”
“Yes you do!” she said putting her little hands on her hips.
As she was putting on her makeup, Colin had to put on the dress which was 2 sizes too small and was really uncomfortable.
“Your turn!” Harper exclaimed
“Don’t put too much on.”
“Kay.” She said as she went to work.
When she finished, Colin had bright blue eye shadow across his eyes and bright pink blush all over his face along with bright red lipstick that didn’t even reach his lips. He looked at himself in the mirror and almost croaked.
“You’re pretty!” Harper exclaimed
“No I’m handsome!” he said defensively
“Pretty!”
“Handsome”
“I said pretty!” Harper said as she stomped her small feet.
“Gees fine. What do we do now?”
“Tea! You Ariel. I Cinderella.” She said pointing to a spot for Colin to sit.
“Oh joy.” He mumbled
During tea time he was instructed how to hold his cup and sip. After an hour he wanted out of that dress and rid of makeup.
“Hey Harper you want to help me put your sisters present together?” he said brightly hoping it would take her mind of the scene in front of them.
“Yes!” She jumped up.
“Ok but first we have to clean up then we can.”
“No!” She yelled as she threw a cup at Colin.
“That wasn’t very nice.” He said as he rubbed his head.
“We play princess!” She yelled.
“Ok we’ll play princess.”
“Yay!”
So they played princesses for a while. Afterwards Harper decided she wanted candy.
“I want candy.” She said to Colin.
“Your mom said you couldn’t.”
Harper started to pout which was making Colin feel bad.
“I’m sorry Harp but you can’t have candy.”
“I…. Want. CANDY!” She yelled.
“Ok fine…” He walked into the kitchen and got out a small bag of Sour Patch Kids. He didn’t think she’d like them.
“Tanks Cowin!” she said as she ran off.
He walked into the living room where she had paper and crayons sprawled across the floor and the candy was gone.
“Let’s color now.” Harper said.
“Ok what are we coloring?” He asked.
“Here.” She said as she handed him a Barbie coloring page.
“Can I color SpongeBob?” He asked.
“No.” She said simply.
“Why?”
“Cause I said so.”
“You are just like your sister.”
“Yep!”
The candy started kicking in and Harper was running all over the house. Colin didn’t know how to get her calmed down.
“Hey Harper, lets watch a movie!”
“Otay!”
“Let’s watch ‘Finding Nemo’.”
“No. I want Belle.”
“I don’t think we have that one.”
“I do.” she said as she ran to her bag and pulled out ‘Beauty and the Beast’.
“Look Cowin it’s you and Edy!” She said pointing to Belle and the Beast
“So now I’m a beast?”
“Yep.” She giggled.
He put the movie in and they both sat on the couch. He noticed she was starting to fall asleep. He was happy she was coming down from her sugar buzz. He got her a blanket and a pillow and she was in a deep slumber. Colin was tempted to go to sleep himself but he looked around and saw a mess. As he was picking everything up Eden came home.
“Hey! How’s it going?”
“Shh! She’s asleep… Finally.” Colin pointed to a sleeping figure on the couch.
“How did it go?”
“Great.”
“No seriously how was it?”
“It went good.”
“Did you play dress up?”
“No.”
“You sure? You got some glitter on your face.” She said laughing.
“I thought I got it all.”
“What dress did you wear? I’ll have to ask Harper if you made a pretty girl.” Eden said laughing.
“I’m going to go take a nap with Harper. You can finish this.” He said handing her Harpers toys.
“Go ahead. I know how she is.”
Brutus came trotting by with a blue tail.
“Colin what happened to Brutus’ tail?”
“Harper decided he needed to be pretty too.”
Eden just laughed and shook her head. While she finished picking up, Colin went upstairs to put her bear together. He had to change the shirt inside out so now you could see the ‘Marry Me’. He took a piece of ribbon he “borrowed” from Harper and tied it around the bear’s neck with the ring. He placed the bear back in the box and put it away so Eden wouldn’t find it. Now he just had to pick the perfect time to do it.