Unexpected Love

The Honeymoon Is Over

After a week in Italy the newlywed couple was happy to return home. As Colin predicted they didn’t make it out of their hotel room very much. They were too wrapped up in their newlywed bliss to care about the world around them.
“I’m so exhausted.” Colin said dropping their bags in the hallway.
“That flight took forever. Two frigging layovers. It was ridiculous.”
“The trip was good though.”
“It was. I think I gained a hundred pounds.” She giggled.
Colin just shook his head at her and sorted through their stack of mail.
“Here you got a letter.” Colin said handing her the envelope.
Eden opened it and frowned while reading who it was from.
“What’s wrong?” Colin asked.
“It’s from my ex. He wants us to meet up and talk. That is never going to happen. I have nothing to say to him.” She said ripping the letter to shreds.
“Can I ask you what happened?”
“You don’t want to know. But I will say he just wasn’t a very nice guy.”
“I do want to know. How long were you together?”
“Fine I guess I’ll tell you but you’re not going to be happy. But we were together a year. We broke up three months before you came to see me at the zoo.”
“Did you love him?”
“At first. Then his true colors showed and that changed everything.”
“What true colors?”
“He was controlling. He wanted to keep me from my family and friends. At times he was abusive, verbally and physically. That’s why I had such a hard time letting you in. I knew you weren’t like him but it was a constant fear.”
“He hit you?”
“Yes.”
“All the time?”
“No just when he drank and got pissed about something. I couldn’t take it anymore after the last time. While he was at work one day I packed up my stuff and left. I stayed at my parents’ house until I got my own and that was the end of the relationship. Then I got my job at the zoo and then you came along again. He tried to contact me but I cut off all ties to him.”
“I’m sorry that you went through that.”
“It’s not your fault. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right?”
“Yea but you shouldn’t have had to go through that. No one should have to.”
“It happens every day Colin.”
“Yea I know.”
“I shouldn’t have told you.”
“Yes you should have.”
“No because I can see the wheels in your heard turning, you’re going to think about it until it drives you crazy.”
“No I’m not. I’m just pissed off that he made it to where you almost wouldn’t give me a chance.”
“But I did.”
“Yea I guess you did.”
“You don’t have to worry. We’re good.”
“I don’t want him contacting you again.”
“I don’t either.”
“I’ll make sure he doesn’t.”
“Let’s not talk about it anymore.”
“I just want to know one thing.”
“Ok.”
“How does he know where you live?”
“I have a feeling my mom told him. She always thought he was just the best. Even after everything she said it was my fault he was the way he was.”
“Are you kidding me?” he said enraged.
“Colin calm down.” She said placing a hand on his.
“No your mom has been against us from the beginning just because she thinks I’m some player because of my college days. I actually treat you the way you should be and I’m not good enough but you let a guy like him into your life who treats you horrible and he’s the best thing for you. I’m tired of it. Its bullshit.”
“This is why I didn’t want to tell you.” She said just above a whisper.
“Why?”
“You’re pissed off and probably wanting to find him to kick his ass. We just got back home from an amazing trip and now we can’t enjoy our last night alone together before you have to start camp. What’s past is past. Please just let it go. You got the answers you wanted.”
“I just need time to cool off.” He said heading to their room.
“Let me know if you need me.” She said after him.
Colin stayed in their room the whole evening. Eden went to get the dog from her brothers and did their laundry. She was exhausted but she wanted Colin to have his time to chill out. By ten pm she was ready for bed so she went into their room and saw Colin staring at the ceiling. He glanced at her when she walked in but immediately put his eyes back on the wall above him. Eden sat down next to him
“I’m not going to ask if you’re ok because I already know the answer but is there anything I can do?”
Colin shook his head no and kept his eyes away from hers.
“You can’t avoid me. I am your wife you know.” She said nudging him smiling.
Colin smiled a little but still didn’t look at her. Eden climbed on top of him and brought her eyes to his making him look at her.
“You’re letting something you can’t change bug you and you need to stop. It was so long ago that I forgot until today. I don’t want something from my past messing up my future. Are you going to let it get in the way of us?”
“no.” he said looking away from her.
“Look me in the eyes and tell me.” She said as she watched his eyes come back to hers.
“I’m not going to let it get in the way of us. I just really want to beat the hell out of him.”
“Jeremy beat you to it a long time ago.”
“Well I’m glad you had someone on your side.”
“Jeremy always protected me.”
“I’m just glad you’re with me now.”
“I am too.”
“Can we just go to sleep? This day has been draining.” Colin said rubbing his temples.
“Yea let me go change and we can.” She said getting off Colin and going into the bathroom.
Colin didn’t have much time before Eden came back so he had to work fast.
Jeremy I need your help. I want to find Eden’s ex and “talk” to him. Just give him a little warning never to come near or contact her again.
I’m down with that. When?
After Eden’s asleep. I’ll text you as soon as she’s sleeping.
I’ll be waiting.
“Whatcha doing?”
“Just going through emails and twitter.”
“Anything exciting?” she said lying down beside him
“Not really.” He said putting his phone down.
“I think I’m going to have to start wearing your shirts to bed. Mine are getting too small.” She frowned
“Or you could wear nothing.”
“You’re so funny.” She said sarcastically.
“I love your body. Baby and all.”
“It just means you’re taking care of our son.”
“Stop having an answer for everything.” She playfully elbowed him.
“Get over it. You’re beautiful no matter what you think and I’m going to prove it to you every day.” Colin said leaning in to kiss her.
“You’re too good to me.” She said.
“I’m supposed to be.”
“I love you so much.”
“I love you too but more.”
“Nope.”
“We’re not going to get into this. I love you more so just deal with it.”
Eden shook her head and yawned.
“Come here.” He said moving her so she was snuggled into his side.
An hour later Eden was sleeping soundly and Colin was carefully moving her so she wouldn’t wake up and slipped out of bed. He put on a pair of black pants and black shirt along with black shoes and texted Jeremy.
Be there soon to pick you up.
See you in a few.
As he said a few minutes later he picked Jeremy up and the two took off into the night.
“So you want to tell me why you want to ‘warn’ this guy.”
“He sent Eden a letter in the mail wanting to see her. She told me what an asshole he was and I just want him to know she’s not available to him anymore.”
“I take it Eden doesn’t know you’re here? And I was thinking we probably shouldn’t be doing this.”
“No and you’re not going to tell her.” Colin said sternly.
“Alright.” Jeremy said holding his hands up in defeat.
“So where’s this douche live?”
“Make a right on this upcoming street. Its three houses down.”
“That’s where Eden’s old house used to be.” Colin said.
“The guy was obsessed with her. It was bad.”
“I don’t think I should no anymore or I’ll end up killing him.”
“Listen dude, I think it’s great you want to protect my sister and all but you seriously just got back from your honeymoon. I’m not going to tell her but Eden will find out. She’s awesome like that. So really think about what you’re going to do. She doesn’t love him. She loves you. She married you.”
“I’m not afraid of losing her. I mean I am but not to this guy. I just want him to feel the pain he made her feel.”
“I can’t change your mind?”
“You were all for helping me earlier why the sudden change?” Colin said.
“I just don’t want anything to happen to you for Eden’s sake.” Jeremy said as they pulled up to the house.
“Let’s do this.” Colin said getting out of the car.
Colin walked up the door and banged on it. He heard shuffling and the door creaked open enough to see who was behind it.
“Can I help you?”
“Yea are you Mason?”
“Yea who are you?”
“I’m Eden’s husband.”
“I don’t know an Eden.”
“I think you do. She got your letter in the mail today. She wasn’t too thrilled to hear from you. Let me give you some advice. You stay the hell away from my wife. Don’t contact her, try to see or anything.” Colin warned.
“And what are you going to do about it if I do?”
Colin didn’t give the guy time to remove the smirk on his face before he punched him to the ground.
“You’ll get a whole lot more if you don’t stay the hell away.” Colin said hitting him one more time.
Jeremy tried to pull Colin off Mason but Colin was just too strong. Jeremy heard sirens in the distance and tried warning Colin.
“Dude you need to stop. The cops are coming!” Jeremy yelled.
Colin stopped what he was doing but it was too late the cops were there and were starting to arrest him.
Eden sat up awake worried about Colin. He had left in the middle of the night and she didn’t know where he was. Her phone started to ring and she picked it up.
“Hello this is Sergeant Miller. I have reason to believe I have your husband in custody. Is your husband Colin Kaepernick?”
“It depends on what he did.” She said worried.
“He assaulted a man named Mason Smith. Do you know him?”
“Yes I’ll be there as soon as I can.”
“We also have a Jeremy Montgomery in custody as well. He says he’s your brother.”
“Like I said I’ll be there as soon as I can. Thank you.”
Eden changed into a pair of jeans and a hoodie, threw her hair into a messy bun and headed towards the police station. When she got their one of the officers took her to Jeremy and Colin’s holding cell.
“Eden before you say anything Colin just wanted to defend your honor.” Jeremy said, thankful there was a row of bars separating him from his angry sister.
“I don’t want to hear it.” She said icily.
“Is Tanya here?”
“No but when you get home you’re going to tell her. She’s worried out of her mind over you.”
“Ok.” Jeremy said quietly.
“Eden I’m sorry.” Colin piped up.
“I don’t even want to look at you right now.” She said not making eye contact. Colin didn’t say another word and waited until the officer came to let them out.
“Alright boys you made bail. The guy decided not to press charges.”
“Thanks officer.” Eden said.
As they made their way to Eden’s car Colin stayed a few steps behind. He knew Eden was disappointed in him and he couldn’t stand the look on her face when she looked at him. It was a long silent drive for a while before Colin spoke.
“Eden I’m really sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking. I just wanted him to leave you alone.”
“I don’t want to hear it Colin.” She snapped.
“I know I messed up.”
“Yea you did. Big time. I told you to let it go but you couldn’t and now look where we are.”
“It wasn’t right what he did to you.”
“No it wasn’t but it wasn’t right what you did either.”
“Why are you defending him?”
“I’m not defending him. You went to his house and beat the hell out of him for something that happened a long time ago. I moved on from it and I let it go. It would have been different if he came to me or threatened me or something but he didn’t. You can’t just go and do crap like that Colin.”
“I know.” He said quietly.
“Do you have any idea how worried I was when I woke up and you weren’t there? Your truck was gone and you were nowhere to be found. Tanya called me frantic because Jeremy was gone too. I’m pregnant Colin. I don’t need this stress and drama; it’s not good for me or our baby.”
“Maybe you shouldn’t have told me about him.”
“Don’t you dare put this on me. You wanted to know about him and I told you. You want to know everything about me now. And if you don’t like the answers I give you maybe you should think about what you’re asking me.”
Colin stayed quiet the rest of the way home. When they made it through the doorway Colin headed towards their guest room.
“Where do you think you’re going?” she said with her hands on her hips. Colin thought she looked cute but he knew better then to tell her when she was mad.
“I’m going to go sleep.”
“Let me fix your hand up first.”
“It’s fine I’ll do it myself.”
“I don’t think so. Just because I’m mad at you doesn’t mean I want your hand to get infected so you can’t play football. Then the whole world will really hate me.” She said dragging him into the kitchen.
She pulled out her first aid kit she keeps for emergency calls and started to work on Colin’s hand.
“At least you hit him with your left hand so your coach wont bitch at you too much.” Eden said.
Colin didn’t say anything. He knew he made a big mistake but he didn’t know how to fix it.
“All done.” Eden said cleaning up Colin’s bloody mess. She went into her bedroom and changed into her scrubs and came out.
“You’re going to work?”
“Yea.” She said putting her shoes on.
“I thought we were going to spend the day together since I start camp tomorrow.”
“I’m sorry I just can’t be around you right now. I just need time away to think.”
“Are you leaving me?” He said sadly.
“No I’m just mad at you right now. I made vows to you and I don’t plan on breaking them.”
Colin just nodded and walked to their room. Eden sighed and left. While she was at work her ex-boyfriend came by. She was alone since it was only seven in the morning. She wouldn’t admit it to Colin but she was impressed with what he had done.
“What are you doing here Mason?” Eden hissed.
“I wanted you to see what that asshole you call a husband did to me.”
“I do see. I’m impressed he let you live.” She said turning to walk away but he grabbed her wrist harshly.
“Let me go now.” Eden said.
“Or what? Your precious husband isn’t here to protect you now.” He said pushing her into her office and locking it. Sudden realization hit Eden.
“You were the one who broke into the clinic that night.” Eden said in horror.
“At first I just wanted to scare you but you just had to call the cops and I got arrested. So now you’re going to pay for it.” He said pushing Eden into a chair. He started to tie her up. He started pulling out a knife.
“Scream and it’s over. Now you’re going to listen to me very carefully. You will leave Colin and come back home to me and we’ll raise the baby as mine. Are we understood.”
“I won’t do it.” Eden said.
“And why is that?”
“Because I hate you! You’re crazy!” she spat out at him.
“You made me this way.”
“No you were already this way. You hit me all the time and screamed at me. You didn’t love me. You just loved toying with me and made me miserable.”
“Maybe if you had listened.”
“I wasn’t something you could control and I’m not now.” She started to feel sharp pains in her abdomen but she kept her cool trying to calm down for Chance’s sake.
Mason was about to say something to Eden when the doorbell went off letting them know someone was in the building.
“Hey Eden are you here?” Colin’s voice rang out. He started walking towards her office when he felt something wasn’t right. He was quiet as he could be when he heard whispering for Eden to shut up and he heard Eden crying. Colin walked out of the building and called the police.
Eden felt a spark of hope when she heard coins voice but then it stopped so she thought she was hearing things. The pains in her stomach got worse so she started crying to cover up the pain she was feeling for fear. Half hour later while mason was rambling on about the life they would have together she saw a figure outside the window. She caught a glimpse of a badge. She looked away so Mason wouldn’t get suspicious.
After the cops gave the signal the busted through the door and took Mason out. Two officers worked to untie Eden while they brought in a stretcher to take her to the hospital. She didn’t even know she had started bleeding and she started to panic.
“Is my baby ok?” she cried.
“We’re going to do everything we can. Do you want your husband?” the asked putting her into the ambulance.
Eden nodded through tears. She didn’t care anymore about what Colin did. She wanted him there with her and their son to be ok.
“Hey baby. I’m here. It’s going to be ok. I’m so sorry. This is my entire fault. I shouldn’t have gone to his house. This would have never happened.” He said starting to choke up as he sat down next to her.
“Yes it would have. He had planned on coming to see me for months. Ass kicking or not he would have gotten to me.” Eden said through tears.
“I shouldn’t have let you go this morning. I had this sickening feeling something bad was going to happen.”
“It’s not your fault. We didn’t know he was capable of taking me hostage.”
“Some of it is my fault.” He said hanging his head low. He noticed she was started to bleed more.
“None of its your fault.” She said crying harder.
“Babe you have to calm down. You’re starting to lose more blood. Think of Chance. We want to meet him but not this soon ok. Tell me what you’ll think he’ll look like.”
“Um he’ll be really long since we’re both tall and he’ll have a head full of dark hair. I hope he has your eyes. I hope he looks like you in general.” Eden said starting to relax.
“I hope he has your eyes but the rest he can be like me.” He said making her smile.
“I hope he doesn’t have your cockiness.”
“It’s not cocky. Its confidence.” They said together.
“Is he moving?” Colin asked.
“No.” Eden said crying a little.
“He’s ok. He’s a strong like you and me.” He said rubbing soothing circles on her hand.
“I want him to be ok.”
“Me too.” Colin said quietly.
“Sir when we get past the doors you’ll have to stay behind and the doctors will come out to talk to you.” The paramedic said.
As Colin was waiting in the emergency room lounge he texted Eden’s family and his letting them know what was happening. He heard his phone ring and immediately answered.
“Hello?”
“Colin? It’s Steve. Have you heard anything on Eden?”
“Not yet. I know they had to take her into surgery but that’s all I know for now. Can I ask you a favor?”
“Anything.”
“Would you be willing to be Eden’s bodyguard or something like that. I don’t want anything else to happen to her. Especially when I’m away or do something stupid.”
“Son you can’t blame yourself for what happens to Eden. But I will do it. I’ll be on the next flight out. I have to go talk to Catherine. Keep me updated. See you soon.”
“Thank you sir.” Colin said hanging up the phone. He sat in the chair and prayed everything would be ok.
An hour later a doctor came out to talk to him.
“Mr. Kaepernick? I’m Eden’s surgeon. Your son is ok, we didn’t have to take him out but Eden will be a touch and go situation for the next forty-eight hours. She lost a lot of blood. We’re giving her a transfusion now. She’s stable but like I said things can change within two days. She’ll be waking up soon if you want to go be with her.” The doctor said.
Colin nodded and followed the doctor to Eden’s recovery room. She was so pale and frail looking that it made Colin sick to his stomach. He thanked the doctor and went to sit next to Eden as she started waking up.
“My baby.” She kept saying.
“Shh, he’s fine baby. He’s right where he’s supposed to be.”
“Colin?”
“Yea baby it’s me.”
“I want to go home.”
“You’ll get too soon.”
“Ok.” She said drifting off to sleep again.
By now both families were gathered in the waiting room and was anxiously awaiting news from Colin. He came out looking tired and disheveled.
“She’s stable. The baby’s fine. They’re moving her to the ICU for a night or two just to be safe and if everything’s ok they’ll move her to a general room. She’s on strict bed rest until Chance is born. No stress or drama or anything to elevate her blood pressure.” He said
“Well she wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you.” Her mother said.
“Yes Beth I know that. I blame myself for it all.”
“She’s coming home with me. I’m going to take care of her.” Her mother said.
“Like hell you are!” Colin said enraged.
“I’m her mother. I can do as I please.”
“You won’t step foot near her. Do you not realize you’re part of this. You held that asshole on a pedestal compared to Eden and you blame me for wanting to protect her and take care of her. I may not be good for her but she chose me and I’ll be damned if I let you try to ruin it. She’s my wife and I will be the one to take care of her. Not you so get over yourself.” He said walking away.
“If any of you want to see her drama free you can come with me. Only two can go in at a time.” Colin said to their family.
Eden had woken up fully and noticed she was alone. She felt groggy still but didn’t feel the need to fall asleep. She heard voices outside her door. Colin poked his head in to make sure she was awake and came in along with his parents. They only stayed for a few minutes so others could come and see her as well. Colin never left her side.
“How you feel baby?” Colin asked
“I don’t know I can’t really feel anything.”
“Probably the pain meds they just gave you.”
“Mm hmm.” She said starting to act loopy.
“I think its time everyone goes home.”
“Yea lets go home.” She said throwing her covers off herself.
“No babe, you have to stay here. I’m staying with you.” He said covering her back up.
“Ok!” she giggled.
“What the hell did they give you?” he said talking to himself.
“I don’t know but I feel happiness and sunshine!”
“I bet you do. I’m going to go tell mom and dad bye but I’ll be back.” He said kissing her forehead.
“Ok sexy.” She blushed.
Colin shook his head and left the room.
When he came back Eden was asleep so he settled in to the chair next to her and tried to sleep.
“Hey Colin?” Eden called out
“Yea babe?”
“I love you.”
“I love you too.”