Unexpected Love

Early Surprises

“I’m bored.” Eden said from the couch.
“Well I’m sorry but you can’t do anything.” Colin said sitting next to her.
“It’s been over two months you’d think they would let me do some walking or anything.”
“Sorry babe you can’t.”
Eden had a hard time adjusting to being on bed rest for the last 4 months of her pregnancy. She wasn’t allowed to do anything and she couldn’t stand it. Colin was overbearing at times making sure she wasn’t doing anything she wasn’t supposed to. The first month was ok for Eden because she was wore out and had to recuperate after surgery but after a month and a half she was proving to be difficult.
“I know you walked Brutus yesterday.”
“It was just around the block. It relaxes me. I can’t stay cooped up in here all day long.”
“Only a couple more months left and then you can do whatever you want.”
“If I don’t move he’s going to stay in breech position and then I’ll have to have a C-section and I don’t want one.”
“When we go to the doctors tomorrow you can ask him if you can do light activities.”
“How was practice?”
“It was hard but it was good. I’m a little sore.”
“Anything I can do?”
“Nah I’m good.”
Eden got up and went into their room and turned on the TV so Colin wouldn’t hear her crying. She felt so useless. Colin tried to make her not feel that way but she always did. She was so used to being busy and being able to do what she wanted that it was hard for her to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else take over for her.
“Eden are you ok?” Colin asked coming in the room.
“Yea.”
“Then why are you crying?” he said holding her
“I don’t know.”
“Is it something I said or did?”
“No.”
“Baby tell me. You can tell me anything.”
“I’m just bored all the time, I feel useless, I can’t even fold my own laundry. I feel like I’m alone all the time.”
“Do I make you feel that way?”
“Sometimes. You don’t talk much to me anymore unless it’s to bitch at me for doing something. You won’t even let me massage your shoulders like you used to.” She said crying harder.
“I never wanted to make you to feel that way. I am so sorry that I did. I just want what’s best for you and our son.”
“I feel like I’m not good enough for you anymore.”
“Don’t say that.”
“I can’t help how I feel.”
“I’m sorry that I can’t be here that much. Football season is right around the corner and I have to be prepared.”
“I’m not talking about that Colin. Not everything is about football in our marriage.” She said pulling away from him.
“Then what are you talking about?”
“You’re never home after practice. When you do get home you crash on the couch. You don’t sleep in the same bed as me anymore. So I must be repulsive or something for you to stay away so much. That or you have someone else on the side.”
“This is ridiculous. You and your hormone’s need to get in check. Just because I work my ass off you think I’m cheating on you.”
“Wouldn’t surprise me if you were.” She said to herself as she waddled into the living room and got her bag and car keys
“What are you doing?”
“I’m leaving.”
“No you’re not. You’re not allowed to drive.”
“Watch me.” She said slowly making it to the front door.
“You’re not going anywhere.” Colin said behind her.
“Who’s going to stop me?”
Colin stepped in front of the door blocking her way out.
“You’re not leaving.”
“Move Colin.” she staring him down.
“No.”
“Now Colin.” she said putting her hands on her hips.
“No Eden.” he said doing the same.
Eden turned around and went to the kitchen to go out through the garage door. Colin thought she was going out to their back patio but when he heard her car start he ran out the front door.
Eden made it to the end of the street before she pulled over and cried some more. She heard the passenger door open and Colin got in.
“Don’t talk to me, don’t touch me. Just don’t do anything! I know I was being stupid earlier but right now I just want to cry.” Eden said through tears.
So Colin just sat there unsure if he should listen to her or comfort her. But if he knew his wife at all and she told him not to do anything then he probably shouldn’t.
After an hour of crying Eden started the car and drove back home. She didn’t say a word to Colin as she went into the house and went straight to their room. She laid down on the bed and put in her ear buds and turned on her music. Colin came in and laid down beside her taking one of the ear buds out of her ear and placing it in his own.
“Your music is starting to grow on me.” Colin said searching her phone for the perfect song.
“Here it is.” He said turning on Blake Shelton’s “God Gave Me You” as the song started he wrapped his arms around her.
I’ve been a walking heartache
I’ve made a mess of me
The person that I’ve been lately
Ain’t who I wanna be

But you stay here right beside me
Watch as the storm blows through
And I need you

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you

There’s more here than what we're seeing
A divine conspiracy
That you, an angel lovely
Could somehow fall for me
You’ll always be love’s great martyr
I’ll be the flattered fool
and I need you

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way

There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you

On my own I’m only
Half of what I could be
I can’t do without you
We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I pray we never undo

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you, He gave me you.
Gave me you.
“I’ll try harder to be here for you more. I’m sorry about today and all the other days I made you feel alone and unwanted.”
“I’m sorry too.”
“I love you Eden. I’m always going to love only you.”
“I love you too.”
“I promise I’ll be here more.”
“Hold that thought, Chance is doing flips on my bladder.” She said waddling to the bathroom. A few minutes later she emerged.
“Did you pee your pants?”
“Colin I think my water broke.”
Colin’s eyes went wide as he jumped from the bed to help Eden.
“It’s too soon. Ow!” she said doubling over as a contraction hit her.
“Ok I’m going to call my mom and she can go with us. She’ll know what to do.”
“Hurry, it hurts.” She said trying to get a bag together for the hospital.
“Mom’s on her way as soon as she gets here we can go. What can I do?”
“Get the diaper bag and car seat out of Chance’s room.” She said changing her clothes as fast as she could before another contraction hit.
“Ok babe everything’s ready to go. Can you walk into the living room or do you want me to carry you.”
“I think I can walk.” She said starting to walk towards the living room.
“Damn Sammy’s even faster than you.” Colin said trying to make her laugh but seemed to upset her.
“You try having a baby descend down into your pelvis and walk at the same time.” she said grabbing his arm as another contraction started.
“Should I start to time them?” Colin asked and Eden nodded.
“I think your mom’s here. Finally someone who can understand what I’m going through.”
“I’m trying Eden.”
“I know but she knows the pain I’m in you don’t.”
Colin helped Eden out to the car and they took off towards the hospital.
“Just breathe baby. In and out.” He said holding her hand.
“Colin I’m not having a contraction right now.”
“Oh. Do you think you’ll have him tonight?”
“I don’t want to have him yet at all. It’s too soon.”
“You’re almost at eight months.”
“I know but if he’s born too soon he could have trouble breathing and have all kinds of problems.”
“We can’t think that way. The doctor said he was almost at 5 pounds last time we were there a couple of weeks ago. He told you to stop gaining weight or he’d end up being 10 pounds by the time he was born.”
“Yes Colin I know the doctor told me I was fat. I don’t need reminded.”
“I didn’t mean it that way.”
“Are we almost there?”
“Almost honey, hang in there.” Colin’s mom said.
Eden rested her head on Colin’s shoulder and tried to concentrate her breathing. Finally they made it to the hospital and got Eden checked in and into a birthing room.
“Ok Eden it looks like your six centimeters dilated only four more to go.”
“Will he be ok if I deliver this soon?”
“He should be. He’s healthy, you’re healthy. He may have to stay a little longer in the hospital but I don’t see any reason he wouldn’t be ok. I do need to turn him so he’s not breech.”
After the baby was turned the nurse came in and asked if Eden wanted an epidural.
“No thanks. I’d rather go through this then have a needle stuck in my back.”
“Just let us know if you change your mind.”
“This is all happening really fast.” She said to Colin.
“I know but we can’t stop it.”
“Son of a nutcracker!” she said holding onto the guard rail while a contraction ripped through her body.
During the contractions she would yell at Colin and he would just take it.
“Don’t ever touch me again!”
“We are never having sex again!”
“You suck!”
Each time she would yell at him he would just hold her hand and say “I know Eden.”
“Colin get him out!” she whined.
“I can’t do that.”
“I hate you right now.” she said not really meaning it.
“I love you too.”
“I need to push.”
“I’ll get the doctor.”
The doctor came in followed by Colin who took his spot beside her.
“Alright it looks like it’s time to get this party started.” The doctor said.
“It’s already started your just late to arrive.” Eden said back.
“Ok Eden next contraction you have to push until I count to ten.”
When the contraction began Eden started pushing as hard as she could. After ten seconds she could breathe. Then another contraction hit and she pushed again and after ten seconds she rested.
“I don’t want to do this anymore Colin.” she said as she started to cry.
“Just a little more baby. It will be over soon.” He said kissing her head.
“Ok Eden I see the head. Just a few more pushes and your son is here.”
A couple more pushes and the baby was almost there.
“Ok Eden last push.”
Eden bore down and pushed until she felt her son was born.
“It’s a boy! Come and cut the cord dad.” The doctor said.
After Colin cut the cord they laid the baby on Eden’s chest.
“You did it baby.” Colin said wiping away his tears.
“We did it.” Eden said smiling down at their son.
“Hello Chance Lucas you sure are handsome.” She said as she took in her son’s features. He had thick black hair that would eventually have wave and he looked just like Colin.
“We have to take him for a few minutes to get him cleaned up and weighed.”
Half hour later the nurse brought chance back swaddled in baby blankets and a blue hat on.
“He weighed 5 pounds 7 ounces. 18 inches long and he was born at seven pm on July seventh. It looks like seven is your lucky number. And he’s perfectly healthy.” The nurse said handing Chance to Eden.
“I guess it is.” She smiled at Colin who came to sit next to her.
“Here you hold him.” Eden said handing him to Colin.
“Hey buddy. Try not to keep me and mommy up too much at night ok.” he said smiling down at his sleeping son.
“I’m proud of you babe.” Colin said giving Eden a kiss.
“I couldn’t have done it without you.”
“Thanks for having our son.”
“anytime.” She smiled.
“Get some sleep. I got this.” he said nodding towards Chance.
Colin moved to go sit in the recliner with the baby sleeping soundly on his chest.
“I love you buddy.” He said kissing the top of his son’s head and falling asleep himself.