Unexpected Love

Going Home

Colin woke up in a panic when he realized Chance wasn’t lying on his chest anymore. He searched frantically around the room when he spotted Eden feeding Chance in her bed. He let out a sigh of relief.
“Hey sleepyhead.”
“Hey, why didn’t you wake me up? I would have fed him so you could sleep.”
“I tried to wake you to let you know I had him but you’re a heavy sleeper.” She said putting Chance over her shoulder to burp him.
“He looks a lot like me.” Colin said staring at his son.
“Yea he does.”
“I still hope he has your eyes.”
“We’ll see.” Eden said giving the baby the rest of the bottle.
“Have the doctors come in at all?”
“Yea they said if everything stays the same we can go home tomorrow.”
“We can go home with him that soon?”
“Yep. The nurses tried to take him into the nursery but I said no. I don’t want him away from me.” Eden said smiling at her baby.
“I know how you feel. I started freaking out when I realized he wasn’t with me.” Colin said moving over to the bed to sit with his family.
“You want to hold him? I can tell you want to.”
Colin nodded his head and took his baby boy in his arms again.
“You realize you’re going to have to share him when our family gets here.”
“No I don’t. I’ll only share him with you.” Colin said holding Chance a little tighter.
Eden laughed and shook her head.
“You’re mom has been patiently waiting to hold her grandson. You’re not going to deny her her grandson.”
“Fine but only my mom gets to hold him.” Colin said relaxing a little.
“Colin.” Eden said in a warning tone.
“Fine but only my mom and dad and your dad and Catherine can hold him.”
Eden gave him a warning look.
“Fine everyone can hold him but only for a few minutes then he comes back to me or you.”
“What am I going to do with you?” she laughed.
“Love me.”
“I already do that.” she said kissing him.
“So when can we have another one?”
“Not for a long, long time.” Eden said paling.
“I was kidding, relax.”
“I don’t think I could go through that again. I was so worried he wouldn’t be ok. I have a feeling if I was to have another baby. I would be on the strictest bed rest in the world.”
“I guess we’ll can it a few years before we try for another one.”
“Yea we can do that.”
“I guess that means I’ll have to start wearing protection.” Colin frowned.
“yep.” Eden laughed.
“Well you should be on some form of birth control too.”
“I was when we started having sex. I guess it just failed.”
“That or you forgot to take it.”
“I probably did a few times. Do you want to put him in the bassinet? He’s asleep.”
“No I like holding him.”
“Me too. The nurses were pissing me off. They kept telling me I shouldn’t hold him while he slept but he’s my son and I’ll do whatever I want. He’s only little once.”
“I would have gone off on them.”
“I wanted to but I didn’t want to upset Chance.”
“Next time I’ll say something.”
“Hey look he’s smiling.” Eden said grabbing her phone to take a picture.
“He must love me.”
“Yea he does. I’m a little sad now. He doesn’t smile when I hold him.”
“I’m sorry. Here you can take him for a bit. I think I’m going to go stretch a little and get some caffeine.”
“Ok will you get me a coke?” she said re-wrapping Chance.
“Yep. Be back babe.” He said kissing her and Chance before he left.
“Your daddy is silly and crazy about you. So am I. you are one loved little guy.” She said kissing his nose and he smiled.
“Well I guess you love me too.” she smiled.
Colin returned a few minutes later with his family and Eden’s. Eden handed the baby to Colin’s mom first. Colin never left the person who held his son after that. Eden’s dad was the last to hold him and Chance started crying.
“I guess he doesn’t like me.” Steve said sadly.
“Yes he does. He might be hungry again. Let me get another bottle.” Eden said. She handed her dad the bottle and told him to feed him.
“I don’t know Eden; I haven’t done this in twenty one years. Papa bear here is starting to give me the glare.”
“Colin stop. You’re making him nervous.” Eden said.
“I don’t like hearing him cry.”
“Honey it’s something you have to get used to.” His mom said patting his back.
Steve relaxed and started to feed Chance who started crying when his bottle was taken away when he had to burp but happily took it again when he did burp.
“Have you told your mom?” Steve asked Eden.
“I texted her but I told her I didn’t want her here if she was going to start crap. Jeremy and Tanya are supposed to come see him but I don’t know when.”
“Hopefully she’ll get over herself and be here for her grandson.” Steve said handing Chance to Eden.
“Yea but sometimes I think it would be best if she wasn’t. He has two grandmas who love him already.” Eden said smiling at Colin’s mom and Catherine.
“I know but give her a chance if she wants to be part of his life.” Steve said.
“I will. Life’s full of chances.” She smiled.
“Well kiddo I’m out of here. Catherine and I have to get home to pack up and find a house and what not. Call me if you need anything.” Steve said kissing Eden’s head then Chances. He shook Colin’s hand.
After they left everyone else started to as well. Jeremy and Tanya never showed which upset Eden. She and Colin both tried to call and text them but they never answered. They decided to get some more sleep since they got to go home tomorrow. This time Chance was sleeping in Eden’s arms and Eden in Colin’s.
The next day they put Chance in his Niners onesie with a number 7 that said ‘Daddy’s Boy’ and little red and gold pants to match along with a hat to take him home.
“Are you ready to do this?” Eden asked Colin.
“No but I think we’ll do ok.” Colin said putting the baby in the car seat.
“Hey look I can still fit in my jeans. Good thing I was all belly.” Eden laughed.
“I still say you need to keep some of that curve.” He said checking her out.
Eden threw a baby blanket at his head and laughed.
“Alright, alright!” he said throwing his hands up in defeat.
“I love you.” Eden said wrapping her arms around his waist.
“I love you too.” Colin said leaning down to kiss her.
“And I love you little man.” Eden said to Chance who looked at her with curious eyes.
“I think he’s trying to figure out if he really wants to go home with us.” Colin laughed.
“He doesn’t have a choice. He’s stuck with us for the next eighteen years.” Eden said putting a blanket over the car seat so people couldn’t get pictures of Chance.
“You ready to go babe?”
“Yea let me make sure I have everything. Ok looks like we can go.”
The couple made their way out of the hospital to their waiting car. There were some reporters asking about the baby and wanted pictures but Colin and Eden ignored them as they got into the car. Eden sat with chance in the back but waited to take the blanket off the car seat until they were out of the hospital parking lot. An hour later they were home and bringing Chance into his room.
“Well we’re parents.” Eden said.
“Yea we are.”
“We’re responsible for him for the rest of our lives.”
“It’s kind of scary.”
“Yea it is.” Eden said grabbing the baby monitor and closing the door slightly. The pair plopped down onto the couch exhausted.
“How do you feel? I never asked you.” Colin said.
“Sore but it was worth it.”
“I think I’m going to get a shower. Want to join me.”
“No I think I’m going to unpack all the hospital stuff and get one after you. I don’t want to leave him alone in case he cries.”
“Ok. I won’t be long.” Colin said getting off the couch and heading towards their room.
Eden unpacked their hospital bags and made a bottle for Chance in case he decided to wake up early. She heard the shower shut off and went to head to the bedroom when the baby started crying. She went back into the kitchen and grabbed the bottle and headed to Chance’s room.
After she settled in the chair by the window with the baby she gave him his bottle. Colin walked by the room and peeked in and loved the sight in front of him. Eden was staring out the window peacefully while Chance was staring up at her. Colin sneakily took a picture and set it as his background.
“You look really beautiful you know.” Colin said leaning in the doorway with only shorts on.
“You’re funny.” She said trying not to check him out.
“No you really do.” He said walking over to them.
“I’m a mess.”
“Here let me take him so you can go do whatever you want to do.” Colin said taking the baby from her arms.
“I won’t be long. Come get me if you need me.”
“We’ll be fine.”
While Eden was in the shower she heard Colin yell and ran into the room wearing only a towel.
“What happened?” Eden said panicked.
“He peed on me.” Colin said facing her.
“That is hilarious.” She said laughing.
“No its not. He needs to learn how to aim.” Colin said with a small smile forming on his lips.
“Let me get changed real quick and I’ll be back to help you.” she said walking away laughing.
“Hurry up!” Colin yelled after her.
A few minutes later Eden returned and Colin was trying to put the diaper on backwards.
“I think we bought the wrong kind these close in the back.”
“You have it on backwards babe.” She said fixing it.
“I knew that. I was just making sure you knew.”
“It’s ok. You’ll get better at it.”
“How’s come you know so much about babies.”
“I practically raised Harper after my mom had her. So I learned a lot.”
“Have you heard from Jeremy?”
“Yea. He said Tanya’s upset I had Chance first and doesn’t want to see me right now. Like I could help it. I have a feeling my mom has a role in all of that. I’m not worried about it. I have your family and my dad and Catherine and my grandparents. I don’t need them.” she said trying not to cry.
“You also have me.” Colin said laying Chance in the crib.
“That was a given.” She nudged him playfully.
“And you have Chance.”
“That was another given.” She said lightly shutting the door.
“You know you’ll always have me.”
“Always?”
“And forever if you decide to keep me that long.”
“I think I will.” She said leaning up to kiss him.