Unexpected Love

Epilogue

3 years later.
“Mommy!” Chance yelled running into the kitchen.
“What baby?”
“Mom! I’m no baby I three!” he said holding up three fingers.
“I know. My little boy is growing up. But you’ll always be my baby.” She said turning to pick him up.
“Like my hair?” Chance asked.
“What did your dad do to it?” Eden said eyes going wide.
“He made me have swag!”
“He’s going to have some swag after I’m done with him. COLIN!” she said sitting him down.
“What’s wrong?”
“What did you do to my son’s hair?” she said pointing to Chance’s head that was poking out behind Eden’s leg.
“I just got it trimmed.”
“You cut off all his curls and gave him a feau hawk!” she stomped her foot.
“It was really long.” Colin said defending himself.
“Those were his baby curls!”
“He wanted to do it. He wanted to look cool on his birthday. Right buddy.” Colin said.
“You made mommy mad.” Chance said giggling.
“I see how it is. You take mommy’s side when I get in trouble.”
“Yup!” he laughed.
“Did you really want your hair that way Chance? I won’t be mad if you did.”
“Yup!”
“Fine but your dad has to style it for you. I’m not.”
“Okay!” he said running off.
“Am I in trouble?” Colin asked.
“I guess not. Don’t do it again though.” Eden said giving Colin a peck on the lips.
“Who’s all coming to his birthday today?” Colin asked.
“Your parents. My parents. Your brother and sister. Jeremy and Tanya and Emmy. My mom said she might but I doubt it.”
“I’m just glad you and Jeremy are talking again.”
“Me too. I couldn’t lose my brother.”
“Everything worked out like it should.”
“Yea it did. Chance you stay away from that birthday cake.” Eden warned without looking.
“But mommy!” Chance whined.
“We have to wait until everyone gets here. Then you can have all the cake you want.” Colin said.
“fine.” he said stomping away.
“At least he’s out of his terrible two’s.” Eden said.
“I still think I have bite marks on my arms.” Colin laughed.
“I think my hair’s still growing back.” Eden laughed.
“He’s a good kid.”
“Yea he is. Ornery but he’s one of a kind.” She said smiling at her son playing.
“Do you think this baby will be too?” she asked rubbing her belly.
“Nah, I think she’ll be sweet like her mommy.”
“With her daddy’s eyes.”
“I still think its awesome Chance got yours.”
“I wanted him to look identical to you. He almost does now that you cut off his hair.”
“Maybe she’ll look like me.”
“No offense, but you don’t make a cute girl. I’ve seen photos of when you dressed up with Harper and it was hilarious.” She laughed.
“Bite me Eden.”
“Come over here then.”
“No because you actually will.” He said backing away.
“No I won’t. I’ll just give you a love bite.” She said as he put out his arms to keep her away.
“No you’re not! Last time I had to use your make up to cover it up! And everyone knew!” he said accidentally tickling her which sent her into a hysterical, laughing mess.
“Colin stop making me laugh I’m going to pee my pants.” Eden said laughing so hard she was almost on the floor.
“Ok I’ll stop but no more love bites as you call them.”
“Help me up.” She said lifting her arms up for him to help her.
“Is everything ready or do we need to do anything else?”
“I think we’re good.” She said doing a glance over at their house.
“Alright I think my mom and dad’s here.” he said going to open the door.
Chance ran to his grandparents as soon as he saw them. He loved Colin’s parents.
After everyone arrived they started Chance’s birthday.
“So Eden how many more weeks do you have?” Catherine asked.
“Three maybe four.”
“Are you guys ever going to tell us what you’re having?” Colin’s mom asked.
“They’re having a girl.” Chance said with a mouthful of cake.
“Is this true?” Both women asked.
“Yea her name is Colleen.” Chance said again.
“Well it was going to be a surprise but big mouth here had to spoil it.” Eden said kissing her son’s head.
“So it is a girl?” Catherine asked.
“Yes.”
“And her name is Colleen.” Colin’s mom asked.
“Yes.”
Both women awed and just thought the name was precious and couldn’t wait to see what she would look like. A few hours later the guests left and Chance had come down from his sugar high and was passed out in the wrapping paper from his presents. Colin picked him up and carried him to his room.
“Happy birthday little man.” He said kissing his son’s head.
4 weeks later
“Colin wake up!” Eden said shaking Colin awake.
Colin looked at the alarm clock that read 3:45 am.
“Babe what’s wrong?”
“My water broke.” She said holding a sleeping Chance.
“I’m up.” Colin said jumping up and getting dressed as fast as he could.
“Your mom’s on her way. She said she’d keep Chance for us.”
After Colin’s mom arrived they went to the hospital.
At 7 am their daughter was born.
Colin sent out a text to the family that read.
Colleen Rand Kaepernick
Born 8/7/16 @ 7 AM
Weighing in at 7 pounds 7 ounces
20 inches long. She looks just like Eden J
7 really is our lucky number!
He sent the text along with a picture of their new baby girl.
Eden and Colin felt so complete with their family. They had two beautiful kids whom they adored. They both had wonderful careers and their loved grew stronger every day.
Eden never thought she would get to say she was Colin’s but life throws some unexpected curve balls your way when you least expect it. Much like their unexpected love.