Big Girl Panties

city of angles?

The last time Trixie saw Michael Richards and Jeff Carter was in 2010 and she hated all things orange. Three years later, she still hated all things orange and she wasn’t sure how she felt about the two of them considering they played for a team that was a day away from skating on her home turf.

“Be nice.” Daniel jabbed as he squeezed her hand. “Remember, they won the cup last year. And don’t bring up anything about 2010, that’s still a sore topic.”

Trixie tried her best to keep up with Dan as they crossed the street from Madison to Dearborn in The Loop. The couple was meeting two of Dan’s closet friends and one time Philadelphia teammates: Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

“I’m sorry,” Trixie interjected. “I can’t hear you over my Stanley Cup ring.”

Releasing his hand from hers, Dan shook his head and groaned as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, bringing her closer to his body. He knew there was no way in hell she would be able to get through the dinner without bringing up the topic of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals and if he were in her shoes, Dan probably would have the same attitude as Trixie. He bet himself she would make a comment before the first round of drinks were even brought to the table.

Dan was excited and nervous about Trixie officially meeting Jeff and Mike for the first time. She had heard of them and crossed paths with them several times in the past but never had a real introduction ever been made. He was afraid they would say something stupid about their past in Philly and unlike some people, they had been rather opinionated about his choice to marry Trixie. The three of them were strongly opinionated people and one slip of a tongue could cause dinner to sink faster than the Titanic.

Kissing his cheek, Trixie slipped her hand into the back pocket of her jeans. “I promise to behave.”

Inside Rosebud Prime, Dan spotted Mike and Jeff already at a table. He grabbed Trixie’s hand and led her through the maze of tables until they reached the two current LA Kings. Standing to their feet, Mike and Jeff gave Dan a brotherly handshake/hug combination before turning to Trixie.

“Mike, Jeff, this is my wife, Trixie.” As he introduced her, Mike and Jeff each gave her a hug, eager to have finally met her.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you two.” Trixie smiled, scooting into her chair. “Sorry about 2010.”

Dan let out a throaty laugh as he took a seat beside Trixie and reached for a menu very curious as to what sort of alcohol that had on hand. Anything at this point would do; he was thankful Trixie couldn’t drink. When the waitress came around, they ordered drinks, the usual whiskey sours for old time sakes and a cranberry and Sprite mix for Trixie.

As they worked their way through their first round of drinks and appetizers, the conversation and laughs were flowing with ease by the time their main courses arrived. Dan, Mike and Jeff caught up on missed adventurous, and the two beach bunnies filled in on the scene Dan was missing in the City of Angels. They talked about Trixie’s pregnancy and their spur of the moment decision to get married. Jeff even tried hard to convince the couple to let him be godfather to their son.

Trixie unsettlingly looked at Dan. She wasn’t sure if Jeff Carter was the one she wanted to have guardianship over her son if she and Dan were no longer able to be parents.

“How are things going looking for the Kings, roster wise?” Dan asked, swirling the whiskey in his glass.
Trixie looked at Dan out of the corner of her eye as she picked at her slice of cheesecake. Both of the LA Kings gazed at each other before turning their attention back to Dan. She felt a pang of anger well as she knew the reason behind him asking and she was afraid to hear their answer.

“Not bad. They treat us well.” Jeff answered.

Mike leaned in to Dan and added. “LA doesn’t have any hot shot stars like Kane and Toews, third and fourth liners actually see ice time.”

What Mike added sparked his interest. There was no doubting Dan enjoyed every second playing with Toews and Kane but there came a point where he had to realize he wasn’t going to see decent ice time as long he shared roster space with some of the biggest names in the NHL. He would never admit it, but it created a slight resentment that he had to bounce from city to city while they got to sit comfortably.

Not giving it a second thought, Dan slipped a few words to Richie that Trixie was not too happy to hear. “Can you put a good word in for me?”

Mike and Jeff knew exactly what Dan wanted and they would jump at any opportunity to get the old gang back together. What the two men failed to see was that it wouldn’t be all fun and games. If, and only if, Dan were to end up out in LA, by the time they made it out west, Trixie would be weeks away from giving birth and Dan wouldn’t be out raising hell in the City of Angels. He’d be at home raising a baby.

After dinner, Trixie and Dan said goodbye to Mike and Jeff. As the two Kings headed back to their hotel, Trixie and Dan headed back to Madison Street, hand in hand to catch a cab back home. Had she have been a little smarter and wore flats instead of pumps (it seemed she would never learn her lesson) Trixie would have wanted to walk around The Loop and do a little shopping. However, her feet were killing her and all she wanted to do was soak in a bubble bath and cuddle up with Dan and Netflix.

“What are you so quite about?” Dan asked.

He grabbed Trixie by the waist and pulled her in close to his body as they stopped at the corner of Dearborn and Madison. Dan could see the absent look her eyes which only appeared when she was either deep in thought or feeling apathetic. It didn’t seem like she was feeling apathetic.

“Were you serious when you told Mike to put in a word for you in LA?”

Dan took in a deep breath before moved his hands off her waist and laced their fingers together. “I was. Just think about how perfect that would be for us. We get a place right on the beach, our bedroom overlooking the ocean.”

He placed a hand on her belly. “Take evening walks down the shore with the little guy and depending on how long we’re there, the three of us building sandcastles and shit.”

Trixie absolutely adored how much thought he had given the new life the two of them would be starting. The problem was the dreams he had, were the exact opposite from what went on her mind. Stepping away, Trixie ran her hands through her hair.

“California is too far west, Dan. I can’t, I can’t give up winter and snow and white Christmases. You want to build sandcastles and I want to build snowmen.”

He understood her feeling. Once you grew up with snow and knew its joys, it was hard to get away from. Dan kissed her forehead. “It’s only June, relax. Besides, we both know I really have no say in where I go. You never know, we could be heading up to Winnipeg.”

“Winnipeg.” Trixie shook her head. “That would be too close to Tazer during the summer.”



Brandon Bollig looked on to Trixie as she sat on the bench struggling. Her stomach was preventing her from doing the simple task that just eight months ago she had taken for granted. No longer feeling like it was fun to watch her sad attempt, Dan and Patrick got down to the floor and took over.

“Are you sure you should be doing this?” Bollig inquired.

Trixie unwrapped her granola bar and took a bite. “I’m pregnant, Bollig, not dead.”

As a way to relieve some anxiety and have a little fun, a few of the guys and their wives and girlfriends decided it would be fun to order pizzas and skate around. Trixie her doctor would probably strongly disapprove of her lacing up her skates and getting on the ice, but she was sure nothing would happen. If anything, it was her feet that would pay the ultimate price. Once her laces were tied nice and tight thanks to Dan and Patrick, Dan held out a hand and helped her to her feet.

“Ready?” Dan smiled.

Trixie took his hand and got to her feet while straightening out the legs of her jeans. When they reached the bench, Trixie removed her blade protectors and tossed them to the pile. Andrew, Chaunette, Sharpie and Madelyn and Jonathan and his girlfriend, Lindsay had already taken the ice. Tossing his legs over the boards, Dan’s skates hit the ice carving deep scars in the surface with ease.

“Forgetting something?” Trixie called out.

Dan turned around and slowed his skating. Trixie unfortunately could no longer hop the boards like she once had been able to do and it had been quite some time she had to conventionally use the door. It was a rather liberating feeling for Trixie to be back on stakes as she hadn’t done it since before the lockout started. While most of the guys were packing their bags to head overseas and play hockey, Trixie was backing her bags to head overseas and lay out on exotic beaches.

“Feels good to be back on the ice.” Trixie turned her back so she was skating backwards and grabbed Dan’s hand. She could see the look of worry in his eye as she skated backward so she turned around.

As they skated around, it brought a smile to Trixie’s face while she watched Patrick with Madelyn. She held on tight to her father’s fingers as her wobbly legs got used to being on the ice for the first time. For Trixie, it was like watching Bambi learning how to walk. She wished she could remember the first time her father had laced her up in a pair of skates. To Trixie, skating seemed like something that had been with her forever. Skating had always been second nature to her; coming as easily as walking.

“That’ll be you in two, three years.” Trixie nudged Dan to look in Patrick’s direction.

The proud father look on Patrick’s face as he skated backwards with Madelyn in front of him was infectious. Trixie couldn’t help but smile at Madelyn’s success. Abby would have come out with her family to the United Center, but the side effects of her second pregnancy had gotten the best of her throughout the day.

“Hopefully the first time the little guy learns how to skate will be out on a pond.” Dan smiled triumphantly. “I’m gonna teach him all the skills and tricks, and how to fight and we’ll leave Kane to teach him the goal scoring.”

Trixie could see it now; sitting in the bleachers at pee-wee games with her head in her hands as Dan proudly encouraged a little roughing from his son. Maybe hockey wouldn’t be a last resort sport. She’d try him in t-ball first.



Game one of the Western Conference Finals, Trixie had opted out of sitting in a suite with the other wives and girlfriends and joined her brother in the 200 level. They were sitting in the second to last row with a group of rather excited teenage girls sitting behind them. It was clearly their first game ever and Trixie concluded they couldn’t have any older than the age of fifteen. She disliked teenage girls when she was a teenage girl.

Mark had ventured out to the concession nook to gather food for the both of them. She would kept her brother company but her feet were still hurting from the previous night’s skating and she was even surprised with herself that she had made the trip to the UC despite the fact Dan wasn’t even playing. Had her brother not been in town from Boston, she would much rather prefer to watch the game from the comforts of her own bed.

“Took you long enough.” Trixie sarcastically shot as she grabbed the fries and diet soda her brother offered her. She was starving and she had grabbed a burger with her brother at the Palace no more than three hours ago.

“This place is a madhouse.” He joked with a straight face. Plopping down he wasted no time in digging in to his box of popcorn and enjoying his beer. The one thing Trixie couldn’t wait for after she gave birth was marching right up to the bar and ordering a Grey Goose and cranberry.

While Trixie wore her new Carcillo sweater, Mark had one of their father’s old sweaters on. She would have worn an O’Callahan jersey, but Carcillo seemed to be the lucky pick. Mark didn’t have a favorite Blackhawk player as his loyalty wasn’t in the Second City as much as his sister. Jack had grown up in Charlestown, Massachusetts which lead to a heavy Bruins influence in the O’Callahan household. While Trixie had stuck in the Midwest, Mark had left Chicago at 18 to attend Boston University and he never moved back home. Boston became his home and the Bruins became his team.

The siblings had been discussing Trixie’s annual trip to Boston when she felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning around, she met the faces of three hopeful teenage girls.

“Sorry to interrupt,” one of the girls started.

“But, we were wondering if you were Trixie Carcillo.”

Trixie swallowed the gulp of soda she had taken and looked at her brother who seemed as if he was about to bust out with laughter. This is the first time it had happened and she wondered how the hell these teenage girls knew who she was. Over the years she had watched the guys being flocked by teenage girls as she looked on and occasionally Abby or Dayna would be stopped on the street but Trixie never imagined it would happen to her.

“I am.” Trixie smiled nervously.

The three girls let out a squeal and one of the girls took out her phone. Trixie had presumed her to be the ring leader as she shoved the iPhone at Mark and asked, “Would you take our picture with her?”

“Yeah Mark,” Trixie put her fries down and stood so she could get closer to the group of girls. “Take our picture.”

Her tone had been hushed, loud enough for only her brother to hear.

Gathering in close to get them all in frame, Mark maneuvered himself and counted down from three before snapping the photo. As he handed the phone back, the three girls thanked Mark and Trixie.

“Are you ladies fans of Dan?” Trixie probed as she sat down. Her belly made it hard to maneuver herself so she could look at the three girls as they spoke.

“Oh, my god, yes!” One turned around to reveal that she was wearing a Carcillo jersey. It looked newer and in more pristine condition than the one she had. And by the smell, she was certain the one she had been given on her last day wasn’t game worn.

“He’s a great player and not to mention so incredibly good looking.” The other swooned.

Although Dan was her husband and she loved him more than words could ever express, Trixie wasn’t sure if even she would use the word great to describe Dan’s playing ability. He was good…good enough for the NHL.

“You are far more beautiful than what some girls say about you on all those blogs and message boards.”

Trixie wasn’t quite sure how to respond to what she had been told, but the only response she got from her brother was laughter. There was no way he could hide it anymore and he apologized as he tried to settle down.

“…thank you.” Trixie fixed her glasses now feeling suddenly self-conscience about her image. She had tossed her hair into a half-up-half-down style with minimal makeup and maternity jeans with giant black elastic covering over her belly.

They congratulated her on the pregnancy and marriage and she knew full well that people were speculating that her big belly was the only reason they two had gotten married. What most people didn’t know was that when it came to certain things, neither Dan nor Trixie were the type of people who ever did anything because they had to or felt it was right.

Puck drop was still forty five minutes in the future and Trixie felt like she was living in the twilight zone. Unable to get comfortable and with an idea up her sleeve, Trixie excused herself and left her brother to hang by himself. Normally she would have sent him off to do her dirty work but this was something she had to do.

Heading down to the locker room, Trixie tried to stay as invisible as possible. She didn’t want to disturb the flow of sacred pregame rituals and she knew she’d drive herself crazy if she stopped to check the handy work of the new guy who replaced her. She didn’t stay and chat as she grabbed three unfrozen pucks from the equipment room and somehow managed to find a silver Sharpie.

As a girl, she remembered the incredible feeling of getting something signed from her favorite player and it was her last name which made it an easy task. Hell, she still held on to the bottle of Jack Daniel’s that Max Talbot had signed for her in 2009 when they had won the Cup. She figured it was time to pay it forward and give three girls another

Knowing exactly where Dan was, Trixie headed up to the press box as quickly as she could. She was met by a few of the nights scratches as they already started on their press box hat tricks. Daniel, Bollig, Brandon Pirri, Jimmy Hayes and Ben Smith were discussing the ice crew girls when Trixie interrupted them.

“Sign these.” Trixie instructed as she put the pucks down and uncapped the Sharpie for Dan.

“No love for us?” Bollig asked.

Putting her hands on her hips, Trixie eyed the countdown clock. She had more than enough time to make it back down to her seat. “No love for you guys. Turns out one of Dan’s fan clubs is sitting right behind me. They asked to get a picture with me and said I look more beautiful in person than what is written about me on blogs.”

All five men busted out with laughter just as her brother had. When Dan finished signing the pucks, he stood up and handed them back to Trixie with a kiss. As she headed out of the press box, Trixie giggled to herself as she heard Bollig protest.

“It’s always the good looking guys who get the most love.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for all feedback I got on the last chapter! I plan on ending this story around 30 chapters, and while I have an idea for a sequel, I haven't decided if I'll post it yet. However, if you ladies would possibly be interested in reading a sequel, drop a comment and let me know! :)

Also, I should have Bollig updated no later than Sunday.