Big Girl Panties

shipping up to boston.

Madelyn Sharp held on tight to Trixie’s index finger as she wove through the mass of fans at the United Center. Having become slightly uncomfortable from sitting, Trixie used the first intermission to her advantage. The tiny tot had started to grow restless herself, so when Trixie offered to take Madelyn for a quick walk around the arena to stretch their legs, Abby didn’t protest.

“Do you want cotton candy?” Trixie asked.

She herself was craving the pink spun sugar.

Madelyn’s face lit up. “Yeah!”

Giggling at the toddler’s enthusiasm, Trixie stopped at the first concession stand she spotted and bought two bags. It was rather comical for Trixie to watch Madelyn clutch the oversized bag of candy in her tiny arm against her chest and she was quick with a ‘no’ when Trixie asked Madelyn if she wanted her to hold it. Trixie wished she could pick Madelyn up in order to brisk their pace back to the suite as the second period was only minutes away from starting but she decided against lifting as she didn’t want to farther tare her incision. They made it just in time.

Easing down into the empty seat beside a very pregnant Dayna Seabrook, Trixie wasted no time in ripping in to her bag of cotton candy and melted as she felt the sugary goodness melt on her tongue.

“I don’t know how you do it.” Dayna stated as she stole a pinch of cotton candy.

Trixie looked over at Dayna with a confused glint in her eye. Dayna stopped herself for a second and thought of the gentlest words to use as she realized her first statement hadn’t exactly come out the way she wanted it to. What bothered Trixie the most was everyone seemed to be tip-toeing around the reality that she had given birth nine weeks early and all seemed uncomfortable to talk to her about the situation. They all waited until Trixie brought Jack up first.

“You just gave birth via c-section five days ago and you’re already up on your feet.”

Trixie shrugged. “It was better for me to get back into my normal routine as soon as possible.”

Truth be told, if Jack had been discharged from the hospital with Trixie, she sure as hell wouldn’t be at the United Center munching on popcorn, cotton candy and slurping a large Coke. She’d be home tending to her newborn.

Rubbing her own pregnant belly, Dayna realized the only straight answer she would get to her lingering concern would come from Trixie as she wasn’t known for sugar coating any state of affairs. With her own son in a breach position and her due date approaching quickly, a c-section was a reality of Dayna’s future.

“Is it really that bad? Having a c-section?”

Trixie winced as Madelyn aggressively jumped into her lap and unknowingly brushed the denim waistband of her pants against her staples. “It sucks. But don’t freak yourself out. Invest in a few good pair of sweat and yoga pants because that’s all you’ll want to wear and enjoy the pain meds you get when it’s over.”

“Trixie!” She heard Kelly Rae call out her name as the other star defenseman’s wife took the seat Madelyn had occupied. Colton squirmed around in her arms and Trixie suddenly found herself growing jealous. She wanted a little one annoying squirming in her arms.
“Are you coming with us to Boston on Monday?”

Wrapping her arms around Madelyn, Trixie absently looked out on the ice as the guys took their rightful positions at center ice for the puck drop. Dan had been incredibly insistent about her taking the trip to Boston saying it would be beneficial and even put a game ticket on the fridge in hopes that should make the decision he wanted her to make. Trixie made a fast decision. After all, a day trip to Boston wouldn’t hurt. In her mind she figured she deserved to her there if all went the way they hoped it would. She had spilled blood, sweat and even a couple tears to make sure her job was done right and the guys were taken care of.

“Yeah,” she smiled. “I’m going to Boston with you guys.”

Kelly Rae smiled a big smile as she was glad to hear the wife of Dan Carcillo would be joining them. The transition from equipment manager to hockey wife had been a rough one, but Trixie was slowly realizing her responsibilities as one.

Following the Game 5 victory, Trixie promised Dan she would wait for him in the suite. He had been nervous about letting her out of his sight after her two day down fall. Even Patrick was worried about Trixie and he forfeited a round of celebratory drinks to spend the night eating pizza at the Carcillo household. Dan and Patrick would have suggested going out, but they knew Trixie and in her current of mind, it would rather hard for her turn down an offer of Jameson.

When Dan made his appearance, Trixie quickly noted a look of defeat on his face. She expected to see a rather excited Dan who was all smiles and jokes. “What’s wrong?”

She had kept her voice down as he helped her out of the chair.

Dan ran a hand through his lengthening hair and tried to shake the feeling for her sake but he couldn’t let it go.

“I just wish I was playing.”

Trixie could only imagine how lousy it all made him feel. For the second time in his life the Stanley Cup was in an arms-reach and all he could do was watch his team fight from the sideline. Although he had been over the moon when he first heard news about his trade, Dan realized it was time to move on. Looking in her husband’s eyes, Trixie couldn’t help but feel her own heart hurting for him. She too realized it was time to move on. For the first time in her life, Trixie knew that she wouldn’t find absolute happiness behind the Blackhawks bench anymore. Now that she was married with a child, she wasn’t afraid to admit that maybe the domestic life was the thing she had missing. Dan and Jack were the ones who would bring her absolute joy and years upon of happiness.

Wrapping her arms around Dan’s neck, Trixie gently pressed her lips against his. She knew exactly what to that would brighten his mood. “So, I’m coming to Boston.”



The East Coast humidity hit Trixie like a ton of bricks as she walked out the doors of Logan International Airport. She had flown commercial along with several other WAG’s and as soon as the familiar breeze off the Atlantic blew through her hair, Trixie couldn’t be more excited to be back in the city where she had spent a majority of her summers throughout her life.

As her father was a born and raised Townie, Trixie would always have a small sentimental place in her heart for Boston but just for tonight, she wore her Chicago colors proud. Shielding her eyes from the bright sun, Trixie gripped a strap of her beige Coach backpack as she debated on where her first stop should be. The agreed upon meeting sport before the game was Café Rustico. It was the perfect location as they had several hours to kill before the game and it was in walking distance of the area. However, there was one special person she wanted to see more than anyone before the game.

Puffing out her chest to display the Indian head on the front of her Carcillo shirtzy with pride, Trixie attempted to hail a cab. She knew it would be a hell of a lot easier to get one if she had been wearing black and gold and she was ready to take on anyone who jeered her hometown team. Finally after five minutes, Trixie managed to get a cab and informed the driver she would like to be dropped off at the corner of Portland Street and Causeway Street. Paying handsomely, Trixie exited the cab without first relaying a ‘Go Hawks.’

On her walk to McGann’s Irish Pub, Trixie smoked a cigarette as she called Dan to let him know of her safe arrival then immediately sent a text message to her brother demanding he meet her at their usual spot.

As Trixie sat down at the bar and situated herself, she heard the familiar voice of Sean Casey. A longtime friend and former summer fling nearly a decade ago. “Get out. This isn’t a place for your kind.”

“You mean winners?” Trixie kept a straight face as Sean placed a beverage napkin in front of her.

He stuck his tongue out at her.

“What can I get you, doll?” His Bostonian accent was as thick as the midnight sky.

“Absolute and cranberry and a barbeque pulled pork sandwich.” It was the same thing she always got. After knowing each other for the last eleven years, Sean knew Trixie was a creature of habit.

Trixie pretended to make herself busy by scrolling through her phone as she waited for Sean to mix her cocktail. When he brought it her, she picked it up with her left hand with her diamond catching Sean’s attention.

“Damn. Look at the size of that rock!” He grabbed her hand after she set her drink down to examine it more closely. “Who’s s the crazy, unlucky bastard?”

Trixie chanted. “Dan Carcillo.”

Sean laughed. “Seriously? That man has the same intelligence level as my fiancée’s dog.”

“You had your chance ten years ago.” Trixie smiled and chewed on the small, black cocktail straw. “Don’t be jealous, that’s not a good trait to have.”

Trixie hadn’t realized how much she missed her brother until Mark showed up. He looked worn out, as a member of Boston’s Finest it was clear the job was taking its toll on him. They caught up, had a few more rounds and that where the trouble began. Sean broke out the bottle of whiskey and poured three shots. As Trixie grabbed hers and silently cheered to a Hawks win, Mark eyed her.

“Are you even supposed to be drinking?” He laughed.

“Probably not, but fuck it. This is a special occasion.” After she downed her shot, Trixie snapped her fingers and pointed to her glass for Sean to pour another. With the burn of the second shot in her throat and stomach, Trixie insistently said, “Don’t be a bitch. Keep ‘em coming.”

Several hours, countless shots and a sore stomach from laughing later, Trixie felt a surge of panic as she looked up at the television screen and saw the pregame was already on. She was supposed to meet Dan and his family nearly forty minutes ago. When she pulled her phone out of her bag, she knew she was in trouble when she saw the three missed call and eight text messages from Dan. Realizing her fuck up, Trixie quickly said her goodbyes as she tossed a few bills on the bar to cover hers and Mark’s tab. Although Dan had been able to forgive her for her pervious crash and burn, the nervous knots in her stomach twitched knowing full well this time he wouldn’t be so forgiving.