Big Girl Panties

pure contentment

Daniel stood in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest and an expression of pure contentment. He could finally feel a sense of calm drape over him as he watched Trixie sitting in the rocking chair of the make-shift nursery in their Chicago townhome. This time he wasn’t watching her with tears threatening to fall from his eyes as Trixie rocked with a blank expression and tears in her eyes as well as she tightly clenched a stuffed animal. It was the day of days. A smile crept up to reveal two rows of straight teeth as his wife rocked their son, in their home for the first time since his premature birth.

“How’s he doing?” Dan caught Trixie’s attention.

She smiled up at her husband as she placed the bottle she had been feeding him with on the small table beside her. Jack was done eating and she began moving him so she could burp him. “He’s doing great. Better than even I expected.”

The way Trixie held Jack, Dan saw nothing but true love. No matter how nervous she had been during her pregnancy or unsure of her mothering abilities, they came so natural to her the second he had been born. While she had struggled greatly with her son being cooped in the hospital and the guilt she felt over her own body betraying her and unable to carry Jack to term, Trixie realized the past was behind her and she was more than ready to start her new chapter.

“He’s perfect.” Trixie’s voice was in a hushed tone as she cradled Jack in her arms. She had yet to put him down since leaving the hospital hours before. She had come so close to losing him once, she was slightly anxious that if she put him down, something bad was bound to happen. When Jack opened his eyes and the liquid blue iris’ looked up at her, Trixie couldn’t help but sniff and wipe back a tear.

“I can’t believe he’s home.”

Dan was just in as much shock as Trixie. It was starting to feel as if the day would have never come. “We have to do something about this nursery, though.”

Taking a few steps into the room, Dan took Jack from Trixie’s arms as he sat him down on a changing table to put a fresh diaper on him.

“I say we wait.” Trixie answered honestly. “We don’t know how much longer we’re going to be here.”

The idea that Dan had put in for a trade was still something that didn’t sit well with Trixie but he was her husband. Where ever he went, she would be right there beside him. Hearing those words come from Trixie, however, stung him slightly. This was her home; he didn’t want to pull the rug from under her feet.

“We can still keep the place. It’s not like we’ll never come back here.”

He had a point.

“I’ve been thinking. The beaches of California don’t seem too terrible.” Honestly, Trixie wouldn’t mind the West Coast. After spending her entire life in the Midwest, she was ready for a change of scenery and the thought of not having to drive in snow gave her too much excitement. “What do you think, Jack? How amazing would it be to wake up to the sound of the waves every morning?”

“I think he likes that idea.” Dan smiled as Jack grabbed Dan’s index finger.

Trixie slipped a pacifier in Jack’s mouth ahead of scooping him up in her arms and placing him in the crib Dan had struggled to put together. Whether she ended up on the West Coast, East Coast or up in Canada, the only thing Trixie wanted was her family. Never in a million years would she have guessed what had once been nothing but a supply closet rendezvous would turn into what it had. Trixie knew that as long as she had on her big girl panties, there was nothing she couldn’t conquer.

The End.