Status: Active (:

The Hollow Days

Chapter Eighteen

As soon as Elliot shuts the door, my mom lets out a squeal and gives me a big hug. A smile fixes itself onto my lips as I hug her back tightly.

"He's perfect for you!" She cries, pulling back and giving me an approving smile. I let out a sigh of relief, laughing a bit. "He was so nervous, all for you, baby." She whispers, smiling even bigger.

"I know." I murmured, helping her put groceries away. As I was reaching up to tuck the mac and cheese box away in the cabinet, I heard the front door open and close, followed by Elliot's footsteps. There was anger in his eyes, and I shot him a glance of confusion. He met my eyes but then looked away quickly, setting the grocery bags on the counter. I grabbed his hand and pulled him into the living room, hoping I didn't do anything wrong.

"What's the matter?" I ask, my voice rising in nervousness. He shook his head slowly, starring out the window.

"Tell me, Elliot," I mumbled, taking a step closer. I tried to make myself sound angry, but I ended up sounding sad.

"I'm sorry. I hate how I was acting around your mom. I couldn't even get out a damn sentence, I'm so pathetic and--"

I slap my hand over his mouth quickly, with maybe a little too much force because he winces. "Shush it." I warn, giving him a look. I can't keep up this charade, and I break into a smile and pull him into my arms. "My mom loved it. Don't worry, sweetheart."

This new nickname makes him smile and he hugs me back even tighter. I pull back and give him a quick kiss. I wanted to kiss him longer, but it would be more than awkward if my mom walked into us again. So I settle with the short kiss, and I figured it was enough for now.

As my mom finishes up the groceries, she pops her head into the living room. "I'm going to go upstairs and take a nap, alright?" She murmurs, rubbing her eyes in exhaustion. I wondered if she was testing us, and was going to secretly check up on us every so often. I didn't think so. My mom always let me have my privacy. I watch her climb the stairs and looked back at Elliot.

"So, uh, I know this is kind of late, but do you want to go out with me?" He mumbles, stuttering every so often.

I giggle and kiss him on the cheek, moving my lips up to his ear to whisper, "Of course."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's really short, but I had no idea where to go with the rest of this chapter. Back to Sarah!