Status: Active (:

The Hollow Days

Chapter Six

Why was this kid being such an asshole to me? All I've done is tried to be nice and sweet to him and figure out what his deal was. I'm not saying that as in a rude way, just I don't understand why he's so sad. Or why he looks so sad.

So, me trying to be the nice person I can be, notice that he's now in my English class. And to my dismay, he looks like shit. And by that I mean he looked depressed as hell. I bite my lip in nervousness and make the move to ask him what was wrong. Maybe if I just went out and asked him straight up what was the matter, he'd tell me. Or, knowing him and the wall he put up, it would take a lot to break that down.

But I wasn't going to give up easy. I was now determined to figure out why this kid seemed so upset all the time.

I sauntered up to Elliot's desk, and his eyes flickered up to mine with a hint of disgust. I blinked, confused, but push the feeling away. "Hey, are you okay?" I watch as his expression changes to a million different things, then settles back on that normal pissed off look he has. He just nods, staring straight ahead at the board. Okay, so that didn't work. Maybe next time.

I briefly think about what happened during Spanish. Who was that girl? And why was he skipping?

I sat down in my seat that was a few seats behind his, and stared at him, replaying the memory of what happened with him in the hallway. I didn't notice I zoned out until the teacher asked if we had our books, and I realized I'd been looking at the back of his head the entire time. Oopsy daisy.

I hear Elliot groan and see his hand go up. The teacher nods at him, looking skeptical. She had black hair, pulled back into a high, sleek ponytail and sharp green eyes. She was tall, and she could've been a model instead of a teacher if she really wished. Her heels made her look 2 feet taller, and despite looking fierce, there was also a tiny bit of... fear in her eyes? Was she really afraid of just a depressed kid? Not like he was going to leap out as a zombie and eat her and the rest of the class. Maybe, she was one of those teachers who labeled the kids who wore black and looked depressed as the "emo kids". Which, to me, is really fucked up.

"I forgot it." He mumbles.

"And why is that?" She inquires, peering at him over her black glasses. She pushes them father up onto her nose, and her eyes narrow.

"My bag got thrown around a lot yesterday and I guess it fell out and I forgot to put it back in," He says, pulling his hood closer to his face. The teacher nodded, letting out an unsatisfied mhmm, the sound you make when you really don't believe someone. But he sounded sincere, and I studied him again, narrowing my eyes as well.

As the teacher droned on about the book we were reading, Elliot turned around and sent a glare in my direction. I quickly pretended to be occupied reading the posters around my new classroom, but he didn't seem to be convinced. He sighed softly, and I saw him take his music player out of his pocket and turn the music up louder.

Great.

My first day at this new school, and it was already turning to hell.

The rest of this year would be just great.