Brand New

Two

Katherine left two days ago, and I didn’t know what to do with myself. It was the last day before school started, and I could practically drive the streets of Lutherville blindfolded and find my way anywhere. My backpack was packed and repacked about twenty times, and the fridge and cabinets were stalked with the healthy food my mom never could afford. The only thing left to do was play games on the computer, and that was the least exciting thing.

It was ten and I was just getting out of a two hour shower when the phone rang. I ran over to it, thinking it could be Katherine checking up on me or my mom saying she won some money at bingo, but alas, it wasn’t either.

“Hello?” I asked into the phone. All I could hear was snickering on the other line. “Hello?” The line went dead, but I was too tired to get angry about prank calls. I set the phone down and went to go put on some pajamas and go to sleep.

-

The alarm clock on my bedside table woke me up at precisely 6:47. I had decided that it was the perfect time to get up every day. It wasn’t too early, but it wasn’t too late either.

There were still some clothes that went unpacked in the few days that I’d been in Lutherville, but I made sure to hang up some of the things I was sure I would wear soon. The previous night I went and laid out the clothes for my first day: a pair of white jeans and a yellow tank top (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=87017212). I wanted to make a good impression because I was finally starting over.

By the time I was done and had everything together, I had half an hour until school started. I figured that since it was my first day, I would need to go to the office to get my schedule, so I left at that point.

I pulled into the back parking lot which was almost empty, seeing as school didn’t start for another twenty five minutes. I parked and walked through the back gate of the school. Finding my way always came easy to me, so it wasn’t a surprise when I was at a pair of double doors that had the sign “OFFICE” above them in no time.

For the first time since arriving in Lutherville, I was nervous. I wasn’t ready to be judged by the rest of the student body. So, for the next five minutes, I stood in front of the office doors like an idiot, going back and forth between the “just get it over with” and “run for cover” attitude. It wasn’t until I could see people start to arrive that I decided to just go for it.

The woman sitting at the front desk looked like she could be ninety. “Hi,” I trailed off, not knowing how to start. She looked up and I could see her eyes were a piercing blue.

“Can I help you, young lady?”

“Yeah, I’m new. This is my first day, and I need to pick up my schedule.”

“First and last name, please.” At first she seemed like a nice woman, but her voice suddenly took on a scary tone, and I knew that I wouldn’t come back to the office unless I had to.

“Amelie Lucas,” I said, quietly.

“Speak up, dear, these ears are getting older by the second.” I repeated my name louder and she pulled a file from the cabinet next to her desk. “Everything you should need is in here.” I thanked her and walked out to find that the school was filled with people.

I walked past everyone, trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, but that wasn’t exactly working. It looked like they hadn’t seen a new face since the first grade. I looked down at my schedule and then at the map to find out where my first class, American Lit, was. As soon as I found the class, I went in and took a seat in the back.
♠ ♠ ♠
NO IT'S BAD DON'T READ IT.