Don't Let Me Go

Chapter four.

The days after the wedding were quiet to say the least. Jensen and Lisa had jetted to the Caribbean for their honeymoon, and little Chloe was up North staying with Lisa’s parent’s. Although Becca had moved out the previous year, it was weird not popping in everyday with the newspaper so her dad could check the sports news before work, or coming down in the evenings for a lovely home cooked meal. She felt lonely and anxious because the weekend was slowly creeping upon her and she would be seeing Harry again. She wasn’t sure she could stand being dissected by those piercing eyes.

Becca moved around her small studio flat, shivering as a brisk wind whistled through an open window. It was the usual cold weather for January here in the UK, so like routine, Becca shut the window and switched up the central heating. Her bare feet found her Hello Kitty slippers whilst she wrapped the fluffy white dressing gown tighter around her small frame.

If someone had told Becca she would have her own flat at the age of nineteen and be living with minimal expenses, she would have laughed and thought it foolish. However, when her mum died, Kim and Jensen came to an agreement- anything that had been Kim’s, would then go to their daughter. One of those possessions was a small studio flat in Camden town, which Jensen had allowed Kim to keep even after they had moved in together in to their own home. The flat had become Kim’s creative outlet, where her paintings hung and her music was made. The first thing that had caught Becca’s attention when she stepped foot in the flat for the first time, was the beautiful piano that sat in the corner. However, that only held her attention for a brief moment because what sat beside it, with its aging wood and horribly pitched strings, was an acoustic guitar that sat miles above any other she had been given in the past. This was her mothers. This was the very guitar her mum had spent hours playing; the one object that had inspired Kim, which then ultimately inspired Becca. She would have never have picked up a guitar if it hadn’t been her mother’s final wish to her dad.

Along with the flat came a savings account that had supported Becca so far, whilst she tried finding a job. She hated using her mum’s money and taking her dads help too, but for now she knew she needed it until she landed firmly on her feet. Eventually a job would rear its head, whether that was one that required her Stylist degree or not. Right now, she was losing hope of pursuing her chosen career. Perhaps McDonald's would be hearing from her after all…

Image


Friday came all too soon and the day whizzed past until it was Becca standing beside a mound full of clothes. Why did he have to be there. She would feel more inclined to go boring casual if she didn’t feel the need to catch his attention; to impress him. Niall had assured her it was a simple party at Louis’ house, where people would be dressed in casual wear. Thankfully, Eleanor had called the day prior to make sure Becca was still coming and had informed her on her chosen attire. In the end Becca decided on a pair of leather looking black shorts, a cut off white top and her favourite denim shirt draped casually over. On her head sat a bowler hat that had become one of her favourite accessories; some high heeled boots were comfortably on her feet, which was unusual for such high heels. Her blonde mane was being it’s wild self, so she let the waves loose, rather than attempting to straighten it with her straightening iron. To finish it all off, she slipped on some of her favourite jewellery pieces.

The doorbell was heard at precisely 7pm, the time Niall and Becca had decided on. Opening the door, Becca smiled at how handsome the blonde guy looked. If Harry hadn’t already somehow caught her entire attention, then Niall would have been a good contender for her heart. You could not stare at those blue eyes and listen to that Irish accent without having your heart melt. He was gorgeous, but her eyes seemed only focused on one guy; that guy being Harry Styles.

“Wow, you look amazing,” Niall smiled, his eyes doing a once over on Becca before settling on her own green orbs.

“I don’t usually go to parties, so I didn’t know what to wear.” Becca admitted, locking the door up behind her as the two took the lift down and out of the apartment building.

“Well I can bet you’ll be the prettiest girl there, so you did well,” the cheeky glint in his eye and the upturned smirk could have had the hardest heart beating erratically. Why wasn’t she responding to all this little things? But of course, she knew the answer to that as well.

“Thanks,” Becca blushed—she wasn’t completely immune to his charm.

A car was waiting for them outside with their very own driver. Niall assured her it wasn’t a bid to impress, but because he planned on drinking tonight and didn’t want to drive. Becca didn’t mind so much though; it was nice to sit and talk to Niall without the worry of London traffic.

For the majority of the ride, Becca urged the conversation to stay on Niall, asking him questions about the band and himself. She learnt a lot of his background and some funny stories from his time in the band. She held back the blushing whenever he mentioned Harry’s name.

“So is Louis the only one in the band who isn’t single?” Becca asked, keeping the conversation going so it didn’t turn too much on her. She had nothing to hide, she just wasn’t a fan of speaking about herself.

“Louis is the only one. Liam is recently split from his long-time girlfriend and Harry is just complicated.” Niall repeated.

“Why is Harry complicated?” Becca couldn’t help herself; she wanted to know more about the guy.

“Well as you may know, he’s been linked to many girls in the past. Some he did see, but decided it wasn’t going anywhere and others were just lies made by the press. But then you have the almighty famous, Taylor Swift, who to put it lightly, is a complicated mess at the moment. None of us know if it’s on or off with the pair.”

“I remember seeing pictures of them in the papers, but I heard it was over?” Becca didn’t care if Niall grew curious at her interest in Harry.

“Well only time will tell. We all want him to end it anyway; she is a little too clingy when it comes to what he gets up too.”

“I can imagine.” Becca mumbled, remembering all the stories she had read in the paper. Was he really such a womaniser like the magazines made him out to be? Or is he just misunderstood? Becca wanted to know because it was no secret to her that she was hooked on him.

“We’re here,” Niall beamed, unfastening his seatbelt as the car came to a stop outside a beautiful house. It wasn’t your typical mansion usually bought by the rich and famous; it was bigger than your usual house, but had a cosy feel to it and she hadn’t even been inside yet.

Music was heard from inside, the clear windows showing many figures crowding the front two rooms. Niall kindly took her hand and guided her towards the front door where he didn’t need to knock. They walked straight in and was immediately swamped by people trying to talk to Niall. Girls that had managed an invite were smiling and fighting for his attention, but at the end of it he never let go of her hand and only had eyes for Becca. She felt bad almost immediately. She didn’t want to string the boy along because he was such a sweet boy. Why did she have a habit of overlooking the good ones?

“Let’s go find Louis and El,” Niall whispered in her ear, pushing past the disgruntled girls who were shooting her less than pleased looks.

They moved through the small crowds, there not being too many people, which Becca guessed was down to trusting people around One Direction. There was a good 40 people here, so it didn’t take too long to locate her new cousin and family, Louis. When he saw Becca, he reached out and gave her a friendly hug.

“There’s my favourite cous,” Louis winked.

“You made it,” Eleanor smiled, pulling her in for a hug. The crowd of One Direction boys were now gathered round and Becca wasn’t sure if she was pleased or not, that Harry wasn’t here. “Let me show you around and introduce you to some of my friends.” Becca nodded and smiled at Niall who didn’t look happy at letting go of her hand. She could see Liam and Zayn quizzing the blonde boy on it all as the two girls left.

Eleanor introduced Becca to many girls who El had worked with, as well as a beautiful dancer named Danielle who Becca learnt to be Liam’s ex. Danielle had told El that she had so far done well in avoiding Liam, but was thankful he hadn’t turned up with a date. Eleanor informed Becca that Danielle was her best friend, despite her split from her own boyfriend’s best friend and band mate.

Becca was in the midst of greeting Louis’ parent’s when she finally saw Harry. He was walking through the crowd with a man and woman who looked to be a couple. They all had that indie look to them, all having tattoos covering their bodies. Eleanor ran and greeted them all, as Becca hung back and helped herself to some drinks. She tried to look busy as she poured herself some of the home made punch that Eleanor had declared to be her special concoction. Taking a hesitant sip, Becca smiled to herself how lovely it tasted. She could taste the tequila and port, as well as a mixture of fruit juices that left a pleasant taste on her tongue.

“Enjoying yourself?” A deep and familiar voice asked, bring Becca to look up and stare at the handsome singer once again. She let out a little cough as she choked on the drink, which had gone down the wrong hole. She patted her chest and let out an embarrassed giggle. Harry chuckled and poured his own drink. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you, love.”

“Oh no, it’s fine,” Becca replied hastily, putting the drink down before she embarrassed herself further. There was a faint silence between the two as Harry took healthy sips from his cup. When he finished, he put the empty cup down and opted for a bottle of beer.

“So did you come here alone?” Harry asked, looking at her from the corner of his eyes as he pretended to survey the crowds.

“No,” She replied, wondering if he truly cared who she came here with, “Niall picked me up and we came together.” She watched him for any sign, but he was still pretending to look at the crowds of people.

“So, like his date?” Harry finally turned to face her, his body now closer to hers; she could feel his arm pressing against hers. His face was now inches away and if she leant up on her tiptoes, she would be able to connect their lips. Thankfully, she refrained herself from doing so.

“I guess you could say that,” Her voice quivered slightly, her eyes showing the discomfort of having him in such close proximity.

“Do you like him?” Harry’s voice was low, his head now even closer to hers. She was sure people were watching and probably thinking she was some whore for having arrived with Niall hand in hand and now was in kissing distance of Harry.

“He’s a lovely guy, but I’m not interested in any relationship with him.” Becca replied truthfully, trying to hold his stare, but he was intimidating and her eyes were faltering.

“Why?” His voice was barely audible.

“Why do you care?” She suddenly blurted out; pulling back so there was now space between them. She had control of this situation now; she wouldn’t let her lust for this boy get in the way of seeing him for who he truly was. Just now, he proved that he could manipulate situations to suit him and most of all; he knew how to manipulate girls. She felt hopeless in that moment; with those eyes that had so much power over the weak.

“I’m sorry, I guess it’s none of my business,” He replied, his whole face and body language telling her he was surprised by her outburst and her strength to stand up for herself. He obviously pegged her for some weak little girl.

“It’s fine, I’m sorry I snapped.” She hung her head, all confidence that was there prior had now evaporated.

“Anyway, I better be going.” Harry smiled, but he was still a little taken back by Becca’s comment.

“But you just got here?”

“I just popped in to see Eleanor and because I remembered something you told me, about being a stylist, I thought I would introduce you to someone.” Harry’s smile was back as he reached out and grabbed her hand, pulling Becca through the crowds and to the couple he arrived with. “Lou, this is Becca, the girl I was telling you about.” Becca felt the blush creeping upon her cheeks when she learnt that Harry had been speaking about her.

“I have heard a lot about you, Becca,” Lou smirked, her eyes teasing Harry before returning to Becca. “I hear you’ve just completed your stylist degree?”

“Yes, I have a full degree in hair and make-up, but I quit the salon I worked in as soon as I received my qualification because the boss was a narcissistic bully.” Becca replied, loving how Lou didn’t look like her old boss. For one, Lou looked young and stylish, with her silver blonde hair, edgy clothes and tattoos. She also had a friendly smile, which was very uncommon in this line of work. Salons were known to be bitchy environments; Becca just wasn’t a bitch, so had hoped to go independent when she had qualified.

“Well, I have to get back to my daughter, but I’m working at my salon tomorrow in Primrose, if I give you the address, it would be cool if you popped down tomorrow and we can have a proper chat. Any advice or tips you need, I’m here.” Lou handed over a business card, which Becca tucked safely in her purse.

“Thank you,” Becca smiled, “It’s nice to meet a friendly face in the industry; it’s quite a rare thing nowadays.”

“Tell me about it, girl,” Lou rolled her eyes and laughed.

Becca was thankful Harry had introduced her to Lou because it really gave her a new hope for her future in that line of work. She just hoped her unemployed status would change very soon because she was bored and was broke, if you didn’t consider her inheritance. She felt like a bum and that wasn’t how she was raised. Her ambition stopped her from taking a turn into the bum life, where benefits would be her only income. She needed a career because it was in her nature to achieve and prosper. If only she was presented with the opportunity to live up to her dreams.