Don't Let Me Go

Chapter six.

Becca began to pace nervously through her flat, almost tripping over the telephone wire four times whilst doing so. She was dressed and ready, but she felt herself feeling hot and sweaty, and willed her deodorant to fight back the perspiration. Why was she reacting so much to the text Eleanor had sent her ten minutes prior. He is just a human being. Granted, yes he is a human who does all sorts to her stomach, heart and other bodily areas she would rather not admit to, but he was just a man none the less.

Becca pulled out her phone one more time and reread the text through. According to El, Louis and she were running late since they had been travelling back from Doncaster earlier that day and had hit bad traffic. Not wanting to hold Becca back, Louis had gone and set her up with a lift with none other than Harry. Apparently he was more than happy to pick her up on the way and Becca wondered if it was because he could tease her some more with the knowledge that he knew he made her uncomfortable. She just hoped she had the ability to stand up for herself like before, just in case he did take it a step too far.

The doorbell rang and Becca jumped at the ringing sound it left through her apartment. Realising she hadn’t checked everything was turned off and locked, she quickly made a bolt for it, whilst shouting a command at the door.

“Come in,” She shouted, knowing somehow it was him since nobody else every called here other than her dad or Lisa, who were still on their honeymoon. The door opened and shut as she bolted through each room until she was satisfied that all devices were switched off and windows were shut and locked. The apartment below her had been robbed only months prior and it had scared her a lot.

Trotting back into the main open area living room/kitchen, she smiled politely at Harry who was looking around the room. He realised she was standing there and smiled, lifting his hand in a waving motion.

“Hey there, nice place you have here.” He spoke, his green eyes brighter than usual and his curly hair styled to perfection away from his face. Lou was his stylist and she definitely knew the best way to accentuate his perfect facial features.

“Thanks, it was my mums,” Another piece of word vomit that should have led to unwanted questions, but Harry kept his mouth shut, knowing it wasn’t his place to ask. “Thank you for picking me up, by the way!” Becca added as they left the apartment and took the one flight of stairs down onto the main floor. His car was parked on the curb and she realised he obviously didn’t plan on drinking since there was no driver like Niall’s transport options last night.

“No worries, love.” He said gently, opening the door for her like a gentlemen. This guy really had a bunch of personalities. Sometimes he was tender and caring with his eyes and words, whilst the other side of him, the more sinister side, found humour in her discomfort and embarrassment. She hoped tender Harry was on the cards tonight because she wanted to prove to herself she wasn’t stupid for having these feelings for him. He jumped into the driver’s seat and started the ignition, “I was going alone, so it’s nice to have your company!”

Another mind fuck- he could have said ‘it’s nice to have company’, but she could sense the emphasis on ‘your’. She just hoped her mind wasn’t conjuring this stuff up so it made it easier on her.

“You don’t mind that it’s me? I mean, I’m no Niall!” His voice is bitter and resentful. Not towards Niall or her, but more towards the idea of them two. Becca wanted to smirk a little because he was now beginning to slip with this ‘couldn’t care less’ façade, but he was definitely showing signs of jealousy.

“Niall and I are just friends, I’m not interested in a relationship with him like I told you before. And no, I don’t mind it was you on my doorstep, Harry.” Her voice stayed strong as her eyes focused on the road ahead.

“I’m glad to hear you don’t have a problem with my company; I did get the feeling you didn’t like me very much after last night,” Harry’s honesty didn’t surprise her. He didn’t seem like the kind to hold back.

“Well you do have a way of making me feel small and helpless and I don’t appreciate that feeling, but I’m a big girl and can look after myself!” Her confidence was back and she was finding it easier to stick up for herself- maybe it was because the car gave her enough space from him and a reason for him not to intimidate her with his intense green eyes.

“Woah, don’t hold back or anything,” He chuckled, holding his hands up for a brief second in a defensive pose.

“You asked,” Becca smirked, daring herself to turn her head since they had now stopped outside Niall’s house. Harry cut off the engine and sat back, turning his head and catching her stare.

“I’m sorry I make you feel like that.” He voice is soft like butter couldn’t melt, but her heart sure could. She felt the confidence slip at that moment and she was back to being the small girl pining over this huge star.

“It’s fine,” She mumbles, turning her head away. However, Harry leans over and uses his fingers to turn her face back to his. His face is inches from hers.

“I am truly sorry, Becca,” his pink lips barely move but she hears him loud and clear. She stares at the pink flesh and the curves of his lips before looking back to his eyes. They stay like that for a moment before he lets his fingers caress her cheek, but seconds after the intimate gesture, he pulls back and opens his door. He doesn’t open hers and instead heads straight for the house without her.

And snap, just like that, he is back to being cold hearted Harry. These mood swings were giving her whiplash. Becca rubbed her neck, before heading in after him, hoping she could distract herself from what just happened in the car.