Status: Thank you for taking the time to read this story! Please subscribe, recommend, and please leave constructive feedback, for it is greatly appreciated

Daughter of the Dark Knight

Old Habits

I had followed Gordon to his car, and he drove me to the police station. Closest place I had to a home. I watched him intently, as he brought a stack of files against the air duct, and he settled down to read, with a rusty, broken searchlight beside him. It was boiling in here, so I had taken the black dress scarf that I was wearing off, and I hung off the back of my chair.

"Sir?" I heard a familiar voice say, and I felt myself blush. I looked up to see my partner John Blake standing there. This was the man I felt different about.

"I didn't want to bother you up here, but they're looking for you." John said, apologetically.

"What's the problem, son?" Gordon asked.

"Congressman Gilly's wife's been calling. He hasn't made it home from the Wayne Foundation event." John explained.

"That's a job for the police?" Gordon asked.

"Sir, I've been a cop for a year and I've only logged half a dozen arrests. When you and Dent cleaned the streets you cleaned 'em good. Pretty soon we'll be chasing overdue library books." John said, with a hint of amusement in his voice.

Both Gordon and I smiled at this, and John looked over at his stack of files.

"But here you are. Like we're still at war..." John trailed off.

"Old habits." Gordon replied, and I smirked.

"Or instinct." John said, and I shook my head. Typical John.

"What's your name, son?" Gordon asked.

"Blake, sir." John answered.

"Blake...Blake...where have I heard that name before...?" Gordon mumbled to himself.

"He's my partner uncle..." I answered, and Gordon smiled.

"Yes that's right! Jord....Dakota mentioned that to me at some point..." Gordon trailed off, and I rolled my eyes.

"You can call me Jordyn Uncle...." I said, absentmindedly

"You have something you want to ask me, Officer Blake?" Gordon asked, as he turned serious.

"It's that night. This night, eight years ago. The night Dent died." John said, and I felt my stomach do a somersault. I hated it whenever anyone talked about that, and I tried my best to hide my discomfort.

"What about it?" Gordon asked.

"The last confirmed sighting of the Batman. He murders those people, takes out two SWAT teams, breaks Dent's neck...then just vanishes?" John asked, and I took a deep breath in. Both John and Gordon turned to look at me.

"I'm fine..." I lied, waving them off.

"I'm not hearing a question, son." Gordon said, sternly. John shifted uneasily, before he turned to look at Gordon.

"Don't you want to know who he was?" John asked, and I felt my heart jump to my throat. Bruce didn't want anyone else to know that he was the Dark Knight. I was going to give John crap for this later.
Gordon turned to look at the broken searchlight. He brushed his fingers across its rusted shell.

"I know exactly who he was." He said, as he turned to John.

"He was Batman." He finished, as he walked past John, as he headed for the stairs. I let out a sigh of relief, that I didn't know I was holding.

"Let's go see about the Congressman's wife..." Gordon said, and I stood up, and my wrap fell from the back of my chair.

"Miss Wayne..." I heard John say, with a hint of amusement in his eyes. I rolled my eyes, and I gave his arm a playful swat.

"None.Of that..." I said, seriously, before my thoughts turned to what I had thought about before. I opened my mouth to say something, but John cut me off.

"No Jordyn, I was not going to tell Gordon about Bruce..." He said, calmly.

"How did you-?" I was about to ask, but I just ignored that.

"You scared me though..." I said, honestly, before I turned and followed Gordon up the stairs.

"Wait, Jordyn!" I heard him call, and I say him jog up to me.

"You forgot something..." He said, as he handed me my wrap.

I took it from him, and we both walked out the door, and up the stairs.