I Found A Boy

Couldn't Help Myself, You're Too Good To Be True.

I ain't yours for no taking,
You must be mistaken
I could never look into your eyes, and settle for wrong
And ignore the right.


She followed behind her friend as she made her way through the twisting hallways. If you asked her how they had come, she wouldn’t have been able to tell you and this was the second night in a row she had done this. Not a clue how they had come in from the parking lot, or how they had gotten to their seats or from their seats back down here. It was all a great mystery to her.

Arriving two hours ahead of the game, following her friend as she roamed the halls, she waited in her shadow as she joked and talked with the guys. She was inconspicuous in her presence, hanging back, never intruding. He noticed her though.

To be fair though, Pekka Rinne knew who she was before he had met her. Camille had not stopped talking about her since the minute she found out she was coming to stay with her for a week. She had talked her up for weeks and the more Camille talked about her, the more he found himself looking forward to meeting the girl with the dark brown hair and the chocolate brown eyes hiding behind a pair of glasses.

Vivienne Thomas had been Camille’s roommate their freshman year of college and they had been friends ever since. They had lived together in New York City until three years earlier, when Vivienne had met Frank. The handsome architect had swept Vivienne off her feet, married her a year later and uprooted their lives to North Carolina for what Frank called a simpler and quieter life.

The simpler and quieter life included a mistress that Vivienne had found out about nearly a year earlier. She moved out and filed for divorce the next day. Now with her divorce final as of three days before, Vivienne found herself in Nashville, catching up with Camille and getting to know her new husband, Shea, and the motley crew of hockey players that came with Camille’s life.

The most intriguing of those men was easily the six foot five, blonde and boyishly handsome goaltender, Pekka Rinne. Camille had introduced him as Peks as the pair bantered back and forth after the first home game Vivienne had attended. She had never been to a hockey game before and was immediately drawn to the goaltender, the position, and the game that he played. The stretching didn’t hurt anything either if she were going to be honest.

On her fifth day in Nashville, Vivienne drove to a local park for a jog. She tightened the laces on her sneakers and plugged her headphones in her ears, cranking up the music on her ipod. She became lost in her own world and didn’t even notice as Pekka fell into step beside her, keeping pace with her.

She looked up and startled as he smiled at her and Vivienne pulled her ear buds out.

“Hi,” Peks said cheerfully.

“How long have you been running with me?”

He glanced at his watch. “About twenty minutes.”

“Seriously?”

“Yep. You were pretty focused.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“In the zone.”

Vivienne smiled. “Yeah, in the zone. I guess you would know a little something about that. Camille says goalies are their own breed.”

“That we are.” He smiled again and Vivienne felt herself melt a little. It was a really great smile after all. “So, lunch?” Pekka suggested. “My treat.”

“Oh no, I couldn't,” Vivienne protested softly.

“I could. And I want to.”

“Okay,” she agreed.

“Did you drive?”

“Yeah; I borrowed Camille’s car.”

“Great. I’ll drive then.”

“What about your car?”

“I live nearby. I walked here.” Vivienne nodded and they walked towards the car in silence. Pekka drove to a nearby diner, a family owned place that had been in Nashville for years. The kindly, older waitress, whom Pekka greeted with a hug and by name, led them to a booth near the back. Vivienne slid in on one side and Pekka took the other. Their waitress, Helen as she had been introduced to Vivienne, handed her a menu.

“Don’t you need one?” Vivienne asked as she flipped open the menu.

“I know exactly what I’m having. So does Helen.”

“So you always get the same thing?”

“Not always but ninety percent of the time.”

“Is it good?”

“The best.”

“Then I’ll have it too,” she replied, closing her menu with a snap. Pekka smiled and motioned to Helen.

“We’ll have two of the special,” he told her.

“Sure thing, darling,” Helen smiled before walking away.

“So tell me about yourself, Vivienne,” Pekka said. “I’ve heard plenty from Camille but I want to hear your side.”

Vivienne blushed. “What has Camille said?”

Pekka shrugged. “A little of this, a little of that. You two met in college?”

Vivienne nodded and took a sip of her sweet tea. “We were roommates, became friends. We lived together in the city for awhile.”

“So you knew all her boys in New York?”

“I knew Ryan. I don’t follow hockey the way Camille does.”

“Can you be convinced to follow?”

She blushed again as Pekka watched her. “I suppose I should follow at least your team since Camille went and married your captain. I’m still sort of in shock that she’s married to be honest.”

“Camille didn’t seem like the marrying type to you?”

“I knew she’d get married one day; I just didn't expect it to be a hockey player. Mike broke her heart and it took some time for her to recover from that. I never thought she’d give another hockey player the time of day.”

“But she’s so close to Duncan.”

“But I knew she’d never date him. Shea though...” Vivienne smiled thoughtfully. “He is different. Good different of course. They’re perfect together. I like him.”

“What about you?” Pekka asked, leaning forward, resting his elbows on the table. “Is there anyone in your life?”

Vivienne shook her head. “Not in the last year.”

“Why not?”

“Camille obviously left that part out.” She paused before pushing on. “My ex husband was cheating on me; our divorce was finalized last week.”

Pekka frowned. “He’s an idiot. You’re gorgeous.” Vivienne ducked her head from his gaze and Pekka reached out to grab her hand across the table. “Can I take you to dinner tonight?”

“Like a date?”

“Not like a date; an actual date.”

"Oh."

"If you don't want to I understand but I want to take you out. You intrigue me, Vivienne. I really would like to get to know you."

"I'm leaving in two days," she stated.

"We can be friends, right? I feel like you're already my friend given how much Camille talks about you. And if it makes you feel better, it can just be dinner between friends."

Vivienne hadn't been out on a date since finding out Frank had been cheating on her. His betrayal had done a number to her confidence, plagued her with self doubt about what she did wrong, what she could have done better in their marriage. She hadn't felt beautiful in months but now, sitting across from this man that she knew so little about, she felt more gorgeous, more in control, than she had in years. So she nodded her head as a smile crossed her face.

“I’d love to go on a date with you.”

So, you thought that I'd crumble to my knees
At the first sight of you crawling back to me
To whisper "will you leave your man? "
Cause you swear that this time you can stand by me.
I won't stand by you.


Three months passed, and Vivienne and Pekka struck an unlikely friendship. She was still in North Carolina and they were nothing more than friends, although their date had been nothing short of a surprise. Pekka had been a true gentleman and taken her for dinner and then they walked through downtown Nashville before he had driven her back to Camille and Shea’s house. They talked almost daily by phone and texted often.

The Predators were playing the Hurricanes and Vivienne made the short drive from her home in Durham to downtown Raleigh to meet Pekka for lunch. The team had arrived that morning for their game the next day and they had agreed to meet at a restaurant Vivienne enjoyed since it was a short walk from the hotel they were staying at.

Vivienne smiled at the hostess and was led to a booth to wait for Pekka. She placed her cell phone on the table top after reading his text that he would be there in ten minutes. She looked over her menu to busy herself, even though she knew exactly what she would order. She didn't look up when he slipped into the booth across from her.

“One too many flying pucks to the head has obviously skewed your sense of time; it’s only been about three minutes since you texted me.”

“Hello, Vivienne,” the rich, baritone voice rumbled. Her head snapped up and her eyes widened.

“Frank!” she hissed. “What are you doing here?”

“You look beautiful.”

Vivienne blushed. Since meeting Pekka, she had changed her hairstyle and was taking more care with her appearance. She knew she had let herself go after putting her divorce in motion but Pekka made her want to impress the world again, for the world to see her the way he did.

Vivienne steeled herself and sat up straighter. “What do you want?”

“Are you meeting someone?” Frank asked.

“Not that it is any of your business, but yes, I am meeting someone.”

“A date?” She turned away from him and he reached across the table and grabbed Vivienne’s hand. “I miss you, Vivienne.”

Vivienne recoiled at his touch and pulled her hand away from him, folding them primly in front of her. “That is entirely too bad for you. Don’t you have a fiance to worry about?”

Frank frowned. “Cassie and I broke up.”

“Can’t say I’m sorry about that.”

“Come on, Vivienne. We were so good together.”

“If we were so good together,” Vivienne said, leaning forward, “then why did you cheat on me? I don’t need you, Frank. I’m better without you.”

He smirked. “You were nothing without me; you’ll always be nothing without me.”

“Vivi,” Pekka’s voice was like silk as he slid in beside her. He wrapped his hand around hers and pulled her into a heart stopping kiss. “Hi,” he whispered with a smile.

“H...Hey,” Vivienne recovered. Her brain had gone fuzzy and putting together anything more coherent was impossible.

“Hi, I’m Pekka, Vivi’s boyfriend,” Pekka said, holding his free hand across the table towards Frank.

“Peks, this is Frank, my ex husband,” Vivienne explained.

Pekka’s mouth set in a firm line as Frank appraised him. Pekka’s eyes flicked over him before speaking. “So you’re the idiot. Thanks for ruining a good thing with this delightful creature, by the way. I never would've had her for my own if you weren't such a fool.” He grinned broadly and slid an arm around Vivienne’s shoulders, pulling her close to him. Vivienne tilted her face towards his and he kissed her again. She melted against him, grabbing a fistful of his shirt and tugging him closer. She could feel his smile as he kissed her.

“My apologies for our being so rude,” Pekka said to Frank without taking his eyes of Vivienne. “But I miss my Vivi.” Vivienne smiled and wrapped her arms around Pekka’s middle and squeezed him before kissing his cheek.

“Was there something else you wanted, Frank?” Vivienne asked.

He pushed out of the booth with a scowl, without another word. They watched him exit the building and Vivienne let out a breath. Pekka stayed with his arm around her, grabbing a menu and flipping it open.

“What’s good here?” he asked amiably.

Vivienne giggled. “Vivi?” she asked.

“You don’t like it?”

“I like it when you say it,” she replied shyly. “Thank you for that.”

“I hope I wasn't too forward. You looked like you needed an out.”

“It wasn't too forward. I liked it.”

“Good because I’m going to do it again.”

“Do what again?”

“Kiss you.”

“Oh.”

“Is that okay?” Vivienne nodded and Pekka chuckled. “You know I’m falling for you, right?”

She blushed and ducked her face from his before looking back. “I think I’m falling for you too. At least, I must be.”

“Yeah? Why is that?”

“I’m moving to Nashville.” His mouth formed into a cute little o and Vivienne giggled. “There was an opening at Vanderbilt, in my research field. I applied and they accepted me. Tomorrow is my last day at Duke and I move next week. I’m staying with Camille and Shea until I find an apartment.”

“Why didn't you tell me?”

“I didn't..." She breathed deeply and started again. "I didn't want you to think I was moving for you when we weren't even anything.”

“We've been something since we met.”

“I needed to get out of North Carolina. I hate living in the same city as my ex. Camille is in Nashville, and she loves it, so when I saw the opening among all the others I was applying for, I thought maybe it was a sign.”

“So the only reason you choose Nashville is Camille?”

“Possibly you too.” Pekka nodded and dipped his face to hers, capturing her lips under his in a soft, tender kiss. “I don’t know what I ever saw in Frank now that I've met you,” Vivienne said quietly as they broke apart.

“Me neither. He seems like a total douche.”

“Camille hated him.”

Pekka laughed. “Yeah, she told me that.”

“She loves you though.”

“That she does. When you tell her we’re together, take a video of her reaction. I'm betting she squeals.”

Vivienne laughed. “Can I take you to dinner tonight?” she asked him.

“Like a date?” Pekka teased her.

“An actual date,” she replied with a sly smile.

“I think I can clear my schedule.”

“Good. Because I found a boy and I want everyone to know.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
The two sets of italicized lyrics (and the chapter title) belong to Adele, from the song, I Found a Boy.