One Vial

Ablaze

“Holy shit!” I can’t help but shriek, taking a step back. My reflection naturally moves with me, and I actually have to process this.

Tony is standing off to the side with the fire extinguisher, just waiting for a sign that I’m going to send his workshop up in smoke. He’s as rigid as a board.

“Is that really me?” I ask half in disbelief and half with excitement.

“Hmm, did you really just turn into a fire-demon-woman in my house? Why yes, I think you did,” Tony offers. Despite the mocking nature of the words, there’s a slight tremor in his voice.

I don’t bother replying and step closer to the mirror again. My hair has turned a translucent blue, the colour of the hottest flame, along with the outlines of my body. The actual fire extends about an inch past my skin. But my face is what looks the strangest. The same blue contours are there, but that stops at the eyes. Because my eyes look like pits into the deepest level of hell; a solid black against the oranges and reds of the rest of me.

Tony’s right. I look like a demon. But that’s not possible. It can’t be.

“I wonder if you’ll be naked once the flames go out?” Tony muses and I feel myself blush furiously. Fortunately, I don’t think the pink tinge shows in the fire. My fire.

“Well I didn’t singe my shirt earlier, and I think it was my back that set the building on fire.”

“Wait. You didn’t burn it down intentionally?” A bemused smirk and raised eyebrow appears on his face and I glower at him.

“Of course not! I was a bit preoccupied with my body changing.”

“You really do sound like a teenage girl.”

“Are you going to be helpful any time soon?” I demand.

“Can you turn the fire off?”

I bite my lip and say, “I’m not sure. I used water before.”

“Well, you’re no use to anyone if we need to follow you round with a bucket of water.”

“We?”

Tony’s signature smirk returns.

“Surely you’ve figured it out, Agent. I believe you’ve officially just joined the Avengers.”

*

Tony leaves me alone while I attempt to gain some level of control over my powers. And by that, I purely mean figuring out how the hell I’m supposed to go back to normal corporeal Nicole. I feel way too much like fear is the only thing tying me to the ground; like I’m lighter than air.

I start off with taking in deep, controlled breaths. Then I hold my hands out in front of me and concentrate on the flame receding. The blue edges inch back and my heart leaps with excitement. The problem is that that tiny accomplishment took more focus than I thought it would. I frown then close my eyes and try again.

My breath is steaming in front of me when I open my eyes. Checking myself in the mirror, the fire has disappeared from the lower half of my body, and fortunately, my pants are untouched. My hair is still billowing out behind me, but the colour has reduced to a dirty orange.

Taking every last ounce of my will, I search for the source of the flame.

And I find it.

I look up and sure enough, all signs that I was just on fire are gone.

“I did it,” I whisper.

“I did it!” I then squeal.

I quickly look around to make sure Tony hasn’t snuck in and then do a little dance. I then clear my throat and re-focus – trying to see if I can do this all again.

I close my eyes and I find the source again almost immediately, and I let it grow. It feels like I’ve just doused myself in gasoline and lit the match. I open my eyes again and the black-eyed fire demon is staring back at me. Her ghostly mouth stretches into a broad grin.

“Now, off again,” I remind myself, trying not to get too excited.

I close my eyes and quench the source. I open my eyes and the flame is all gone – just plain old Nicole is staring back at me.

“Wow,” I hear a voice say and I jump.

Tony has appeared on one of the screens and I cringe.

“How much did you see?” I ask.

“Your dancing skills are truly awe-inspiring.”

*

Tony orders in some Chinese food for dinner and I watch the sun set over the Pacific. It’s beautiful here. Nobody could deny that.

“So how did you get involved with S.H.I.E.L.D. anyway?” Tony asks once he’s put the phone down, wandering over to the couch I’m sitting on.

“My sister got me the job,” I explain. “I was actually training at Quantico but I couldn’t pass the opportunity up. I didn’t want to be chasing down all the regular criminals when there’s a much bigger picture.”

“When was this?”

“18 months ago or something. It’s coming up two years anyway.”

Tony then pulls out a computer I hadn’t noticed and starts tapping away on it.

“What’s her name?” he asks.

“Kylie,” I tell him with a frown. “Why?”

“I have a hunch.”

A pit settles in my gut and my mind starts to race over what Tony’s hunch could be about. Oh god, what could my sister have done? How could she be involved with what happened to me today?”

“It’s not the answer I was expecting. It’s so much better,” Tony finally announces after what feels like an hour of silence.

“What is it?”

He turns the screen around and I’m immediately drawn to the bold red writing on her file.

Employment terminated eight months ago.

“That’s impossible,” I whisper and look up at Tony with alarm, “I see her at work all the time. How could she get in?”

“She’s still at S.H.I.E.L.D?” he asks like he’s amused. “Well it’s not like they have the most tight-ass security agents working there or anything.”

“This is serious, Tony!”

He then smirks.

“You called me Tony.”

“That’s your name, isn’t it? Now do your nerd thing and figure out what’s going on here.”

He starts tapping away again, humming AC/DC’s Back in Black. I’m too preoccupied with the thought that my perfect sister actually got fired and is somehow going about her job as usual to be annoyed.

“I can’t find anything. It’s probably sealed and I can’t be bothered, but you might be interested in this.”

I shuffle next to him so I can look over his shoulder. My file is up on the screen along with my rather unfortunate I.D. picture. So are a few big red words.

Wanted for questioning. Highly dangerous.

“What the hell is going on?” I choke.
♠ ♠ ♠
An update? Whaaaaat?

On the plus side, I think I've finally gotten my shit together on this story in terms of where it's going. And it's about freaking time.