One Vial

Flight

“Welcome back, Agent Scott,” Director Fury says to me as I step into his office.

“Thank you, sir.”

“I assume your vacation was instructive.”

Three months of intensive training and tests with Banner couldn’t be anything but instructive.

I grin and reply, “Extremely.”

“Then I believe you are ready for your promotion.”

I’m puzzled – which must be written all over my face.

Fury sighs and says, “The next time the Avengers are needed, you’ll be joining them.”

I knew this was what was coming, but it still doesn’t take away the shock and excitement of the actual moment. I’m beaming from ear to ear.

“Thank you, sir!”

“Keep up the good work, Agent Scott.”

I nod and when he turns away, I take that as my cue to exit. Fury is not a man of many words, and I have something I need to do.

*

Tony’s Malibu home is just as I remember it; ridiculous. I still don’t know where to knock, so I take my chances and walk in.

“Tony?” I call.

“Workshop!” is the reply and I smile, working my way through his house, downstairs to where Tony is at his computer, surrounded by machines ready to help him.

The glass door opens and I step inside.

“Some things don’t change,” I observe.

Tony spins and smirks after looking me up and down.

“I was wondering when the cat was going to drag you back in again,” he says.

“Yeah, nice to see you too.”

“How many months has it been?”

“Three.”

“Uh-huh,” he crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow asking, “Why haven’t you come sooner?”

So I was missed. Good to know.

“Training with Dr Banner to figure out the full capabilities of my powers, and you know, make sure I don’t have any more accidents.”

“You didn’t get weekends off? I always assumed you’d be one of those boring college students who never go out partying. You know, a nerd.”

I feel my cheeks flush, “I wasn’t in the best headspace. I didn’t want to take any chances either.”

He unfortunately must have picked up what I’m getting at, because there’s a mischievous excitement in his eyes.

“You were worried you’d hurt me.”

“You were the only one I could trust when I needed it the most. I didn’t want to reward you by accidentally blowing you up or burning off your fabulous facial hair.”

He slowly closes the distance between us and my heart starts to race.

“I’ve actually grown on you,” he accuses.

“Yes,” I respond then kiss his cheek. “But there’s something I want to show you.”

I grab his hand and start leading him outside.

“Does this involve you getting naked again? Because I’ve already seen it all.”

I roll my eyes but the moment we’re out in the open air, I let go of his hand and start running. The flames engulf my body and I throw myself into the air, torrent of blue, orange and red flames trailing after me as I soar through the sky. I never feel as alive as I do when I’m flying and sometimes I wonder why I ever come back down. Except for food, because you know, that stuff’s great and necessary.

After enjoying my flight for a little while longer I begin my descent. My feet start to run mid-air in preparation for the landing, and then touchdown. The smell of hot asphalt soon fills the air, but I’m striding towards Tony with a smug look on my face while he’s gobsmacked, and a burning road is the last thing on my mind.

“What do you think?” I ask.

His mouth pops open to say some kind of witty remark.

“I got nothing,” he admits.

“Can you record this moment? I want to preserve it forever. I silenced the great Tony Stark,” I tease.

The next thing I know, his arms are around my waist and his lips are on mine.

“Not for long,” he retorts, and then starts pushing me back into the house so we can get to a bedroom.

END
♠ ♠ ♠
So there we go. Done. Hope you guys enjoyed the ride :)