Words That Cut the Deepest

1/1

Paige and Sid knew exactly what to do to get on each other's nerves, annoy one another, and to simply piss the other one off. They knew how far to push it, and they knew what they could say to hurt the other one the most. What they didn't know was how to stop it before it was too late.

Paige and Sid were known to have regular fights, most of which ended within a half an hour with the two of them completely naked in some random room of the house that they shared. The majority of the time, the engaged couple would stop before the words got too hurtful, but then there were times when they kept throwing daggers at each other--or in Paige's case, whatever was the closest kitchen item she could fling at Sid's head--and they wouldn't stop until the words couldn't be taken back.

Tonight was one of those nights where they both would regret the words they were yelling at each other. It had started with Sid staying out celebrating a win with his team too late in Paige's mind. Usually, she wouldn't mind when this occurred, but she'd had an extremely bad day at work, one that included her boss calling her an incompetent twit, and she really needed her fiancé at home with her right now. She had called him earlier that day before his game to tell him what had happened, and she had asked him if he would be home right after the game, and he had told her "yeah, probably."

Well that "yeah probably" turned into an "I'm actually heading out with the guys for a celebratory beer. I’m only going to stay for one round, though." If that hadn't pissed her off enough, the fact that it was now two hours later and he still wasn't home had absolutely infuriated her.

She was waiting for him in the front room. She wasn't even sitting on the couch, instead standing with her arms crossed right in front of the door. She heard the doorknob jiggle, and she knew he was finally back home. She put her pissed off face on and watched as he slowly opened the door, clearly trying to sneak in like a rebellious teenager that didn't want to get caught after doing something stupid.

"Paige," Sid began, but Paige didn't want to hear his bullshit excuses, she already knew them all, from "I lost track of time" to "the guys were going to kill me if I left when I wanted to" to her absolute favorite "I'm the captain, I had to stay." She was sick of hearing the same old thing, knowing he wasn't sorry whatsoever.

"Save it," she said shortly, narrowing her eyes at him. "I don't want to hear it."

Sid had told himself the entire ride home that he knew she was going to be pissed off and that he needed to apologize and not let his temper get the better of him. But, his fuse was already shortening quickly, and he didn’t feel like having to defend spending some time with his friends to Paige. Again.

He rolled his eyes at her before saying, "Whatever, Paige, you want to act like this, go for it. I'm going to bed."

That was all it took and Paige was on a rampage. "You're fucking going to bed?" she screamed out in disbelief. "I called you earlier to tell you I needed you tonight. Instead, you decide it's more important to have a fucking beer with your teammates, and then you just go to bed?" she continued in an outrage.

"Stop being so damn overdramatic, Paige," he told her. It was one of the things about her that drove him absolutely crazy. He could take some of the things she threw at him, but when she overreacted about the smallest things, like him grabbing a beer with his friends, that's when it drove him ballistic.

"Go fuck yourself, Crosby," she told him, her lips narrowing into a thin line, something that happened when she was incredibly angry, like she was right now.

"God knows I'm not going to get it from you," he countered as he turned around and started walking down the hallway towards their bedroom. He had practice in the morning, and he wasn't going to spend his entire night up and fighting with Paige.

"No, so why don't you get it from one of those girls that are always having over you. Hell, you're probably getting it from them anyways," she stated.

Sid whipped around. He absolutely hated when she tried to imply he was cheating on her. It was the one thing she knew she could throw at him and get a reaction, which is exactly what she was looking for right now. "Jesus Christ, Paige!" he yelled at the top of his lungs. He was sure his neighbors could hear him, but he didn't care. Let them listen in all they wanted. Maybe they could call into the gossip rags and tell them an exaggerated version of what they heard. "I am not fucking cheating on you. You see this thing on your finger?" he asked, roughly grabbing her hand and pointing to the engagement ring on her finger. "This fucking means something to me. So stop fucking acting like I'm fucking cheating on you."

"If this," she said, grabbing her hand back and pulling the ring off of her finger, waving it in his face. "Meant anything to you, you'd have came home when I needed you!" she cried.

Sid put his hands in his hair, wanting to rip it out. "You were upset because your bitch of a boss yelled at you. Big fucking deal," he said in a whining voice. "My coach yells at me every single day, but do you seem me coming home and crying about it? No. Because I don't have the emotional capabilities of a four year old!" he shouted. Paige's jaw set, and he knew he had taken it too far, but that didn't stop him from going further. "You need to grow up, Paige. You're not going to be babied throughout your life like you always have been. Your daddy isn't going to be always there to fix everything by throwing money at the situation."

He saw the rage rush over her eyes at the last comment. She always hated when he brought up her father and the money she came from like she used it to get to where she was, which she most definitely had not. "You bastard," she said lowly, walking over to the table which was already set with several places for dinner. She grabbed the first plate she could get her hands on and whipped it at Sid's head. He dodged at just the last second to avoid it shattering on his skull, and instead it hit the back wall, making a loud crashing noise.

"Stop breaking all of our shit!" Sid screamed out. This was common for her, to throw things at Sid, and he was used to it by now. But, he was sick of having to buy new plates every time she got pissed off enough to whip things at his head.

"You seriously care about a damn plate?" she questioned, grabbing two more and throwing them at the wall behind her. "Glasses too?" she continued, grabbing several glasses in a row and throwing each of them at the wall as well, watching them shatter onto the floor.

"You're fucking crazy," Sid shook his head. That only angered her more, and she grabbed the remaining plates, throwing each one at the wall.

"Don't worry, my daddy can pay for new ones," she retorted, rolling her eyes as she moved on to the pictures on the wall. There were several of them, ranging from pictures of the two of them together in happier times to a picture of the team when Sid had won the Stanley Cup. She reached for the first two of them, snatching them off the wall and throwing them on the ground as hard as she could, causing the glass to break.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Sid questioned as she continued breaking each of the picture frames.

She didn't say anything but walked out towards their balcony, which looked out over the community pool in the middle of their condominium complex, after she had broken the last frame. "You want to know what I think about this ring?" she asked, tearing the ring off of her finger for the second time that night. "This is what I think of this ring," she continued, throwing the ring off the balcony with all of her might. Sid practically ran out onto the balcony with her, unable to believe what she had just done, as they watched it plummet to the ground and into the pool below them.

"So what? You're just walking away? Calling off the engagement?" he asked her.

Again, she didn't say anything, walking inside their apartment and towards the bedroom. So she was giving him the silent treatment. Normally Sid would welcome it at a time like this, but right now, he wasn't sure what she was capable of when she was on a tirade like she was right now. When she was in the middle of a tantrum, there was no telling what she was going to do.

He walked back to the bedroom to see her packing her suitcase. She'd always threatened to leave, but she'd never gone this far as to actually pack her bags. "What are you doing, Paige?" he asked her, his voice calmer than what it had been earlier.

"I'm leaving," she told him, not looking up from the suitcase. "This clearly isn't working out."

"Because of a fight? We have them all the time," Sid told her.

She finally turned her head to look at him. "Don't you think that's a problem, Sid?" she questioned. "We fight all the time."

"And, we still love each other," he said simply.

"Do we? I know I love you, but…" she trailed off.

"Paige, you know I love you," Sid told her. He didn't tell her that as often as he probably should. It tended to happen more so after a big fight than any other time. But, he always thought she had known.

She didn't respond, but instead continued packing. Not knowing what else to say, Sid left the room, and Paige knew it was really over. She finished packing her suitcase, deciding she could come back the next day when Sid was at practice to get the rest of her stuff, and she made her way down to her car. To get there, she had to pass by the pool she had tossed the ring into. She saw someone swimming around, and she wondered if they were going to steal the ring. She wouldn't care if they did. At least that's what she was telling herself, though the pulling on her heart told her otherwise.

She watched as the person made their way to the edge of the pool and hopped out, still in all of their street clothes. She looked over at them curiously. They had to have jumped in just for the ring. Suddenly, the person became recognizable. "What are you doing?" she asked, as water dripped down Sid's face and body.

"This is yours. I'm not letting you leave without it," he stated, walking over to her and putting the ring back on her hand. He was getting her clothes all wet, but she didn't care right now as she paid attention to what he was saying to her. "I love you, Paige. Through all the fighting, through all the bullshit. I love you. And, that's never going to change. I'm sorry," he apologized for his earlier words. He knew it didn't take them back, but that's the best he could do right now.

"You want this crazy girl to be your wife still?" she asked softly.

Sid smiled, nodding his head, as he put his hands on either side of her face and kissed her deeply. When he pulled away, Paige was smiling too. This was the Paige he loved, the one he had fallen in love with, the one he was going to spend the rest of his life with. "Let's get you back inside where you belong," he told her, putting his arm around her. Normally, she'd yell at him for getting her all wet, but not right now. Right now, the important thing was they were still together.