Status: i just like writing ~ please comment so i don't think i'm writing for nothing ;; x

Grandiose Delusions of Grandomina.

They'll Never Catch You

Drew Woolnough's POV
Present Day


I grabbed hold of my older sister’s hand, biting anxiously at my lower lip as she span round to face me, her auburn hair whipping around her shoulders in the breeze.
“Evelyn...” I mumbled quietly as I pretended to be immensely interested in my shoes. “I’m... I’m really hungry.” No sooner had the words fallen from my lips I had begun to feel sick with guilt.
My sister always managed to provide food for us, even when it meant risking her life and becoming a thief and a criminal. With that said... I guess it wasn’t really too surprising that she was looking at me as if I had physically slapped her in the face.
“I’m sorry, Drew.” She sighed, running her fingers through her hair desperately. “I’ll find you something.”
At that moment I quickly shook my head, clasping my hands together and wringing them in a form of protest. I knew I shouldn’t have opened my mouth; she was only going to blame herself for not being able to feed me properly.
It had been over five years ago since we had run away, back when I had been ten years old. I don’t really remember that far back – or at least – I tend to avoid trying to remember that part of my life.
Despite now living on the streets and having to steal for a living, we were in much better condition that we had been back with our family. Not that they had been much of a family at all.
The only family I needed was Evelyn. She looked out for me and I liked to think that I did my best to look out for her, though it was often her getting me out of trouble than it being the other way round.
“I could get some bread.” I finally suggested to my sister, lifting my shoulders into a small shrug.
“No.” Evelyn let a small chuckle pass her lips as she pulled her hair back from her face and tied it up with an old green ribbon, shaking her head at the very suggestion. “You’re just a kid, I’m not risking it.”
“I’m fifteen years old!” I huffed slightly, folding my arms tightly across my chest and stomping my foot on the ground like a child.
My elder sister gave me one of those suffering looks of hers, raised an eyebrow into a perfect arch, rested her palm on her hip and pointed a finger right at my rather melodramatic display.
“That’s not convincing me you’re ready for responsibility one little bit.” Evelyn pointed out bluntly, her eyes rolling heavenward.
“It’s been five years. I think it’s about time I learnt to fend for myself.”
The girl studied me for a moment, her dark green eyes flickering over my profile as if she was searching for something important. Finally, after what seemed like a year, she let a heavy sigh slip from between he parted lips.
“Drew... just don’t, okay?” Evelyn seemed to be weighing out the pros and cons silently in her mind, as she didn’t offer them up to me out loud.
“Fine, but I’m coming with you.”
“I can’t stop you doing that.” She admitted.
I punched the air triumphantly, clapping my hands together and jumping up and down on the spot.
I had decided that I was going to take responsibility for myself. Prove that I wasn’t just a child any more, that Evelyn really didn’t need to worry about me so much. All I needed to do was steal something without getting caught – I had grown up watching Evelyn do it for years, so it couldn’t be too difficult to put into practise.
In that moment I really did feel adult, even if I didn’t particularly show it. This meant I was going to be able to help keep the two of us alive, that Evelyn wasn’t going to have to worry about me so much anymore.
I was sure that this could only be a good thing.
As we approached the edge of the market, Evelyn instinctively grabbed my shoulder and pulled me closer to her side. I squirmed slightly as her fingernails dug into my skin, though stopped when I looked up and saw the strain in her jaw.
I forgot just how dangerous it was for people like us to be out here, runaways who didn’t have proper homes, who stole from people and cluttered up the streets. If any vampires realised we didn’t have a real home or a family... I shivered, unable to finish my thought. I’d heard enough rumours.
I suppose there was the added risk of somebody recognising Evelyn, as you could never be too sure whether somebody had been watching you steal, just waiting for the time we came back.
“Stay close.” She muttered to me, letting her arm fall from my shoulder as she walked carefully over to one of the stalls, her hands running along the table as if testing the seller’s eyesight.
Whilst the seller (and Evelyn) was distracted I shuffled along the edge of the long table, unable to stop my mouth from watering at the smell of freshly baked bread. It was such a rare smell that I just had to pause for a moment and savour it, considering Evelyn was ever able to get her hands on the stuff.
My hand crept over the battered cloth that hung limply from the table, fingers curving around the crisp loaf. Though as I looked around me to check if anyone was watching, a young man seemed to notice exactly what I was doing and his eyes glittered, lips curving into a twisted smile.
Before I had any time to register what was going on, he hand his cold fingers clamped hard around my wrist, causing me to jump and drop the bread that I had been so sure I could take.
“So it seems we have a little thief on our hands, doesn’t it?” The male smirked, his voice like silk.
My heart leapt into my throat and I felt my whole body freeze. The fear his voice invoked in me had thrown my whole body into lockdown.
The male’s voice had attracted the attention of almost everyone – including Evelyn. Her head whipped round almost instantly and she ran forward as soon as her eyes processed the scene that was beginning to unfold.
“Let go of him!” She yelled at the male, her hair tumbling around her face like dancing flames. “He’s just a kid.”
“I think you’ll find he’s a thief.” The male corrected, tipping his head at her and dragging me forward a few steps, causing a small whimper to fall from my throat.
“He didn’t know what he was doing, he was hungry.” Evelyn protested, pushing through the deadly silent crowd which had suddenly congregated around us.
It was in that moment a long shadow formed on the ground, causing several people to shuffle away and quiet gasps to ripple through the crowd.
I peeked up at the figure beneath my fringe, my heart slamming violently against my ribcage like a frightened bird as I realised who it was.
The Prince of Grandomina.
He stood tall, proud and pale against the faint light of the day. A malicious kind of smirk was ghosting across his lips as he surveyed the scene which lay before him, his dark eyes flickering to each of us in turn.
“Carmen...” The vampire purred softly, his palm resting against the male’s shoulder. “What have I told you about manhandling our food?” He paused, raising an eyebrow as if inviting the other vampire to speak.
When Carmen didn’t respond, the Prince continued. “They bruise easily, remember?”
A sudden tremor ran through my body at the mention of being food, which was tinged with a slight relief as the smaller vampire let go of my wrist.
Evelyn launched herself forward again, wrapping her arms around me and pulling me away from the two vampires, her eyes blazing like smouldering emeralds.
“Don’t you dare touch him!” She yelled, positioning herself so that she was stood in front of me.
The vampire Prince’s expression changed from lazy interest to a sudden, intense flickering curiosity as he watched her. Though before too long a hungry, teasing grin spread across his aristocratic features.
“I’m afraid that’s what happens to naughty little boys who can’t keep their hands to themselves.” He chuckled laconically, reaching past her and catching my chin between his thumb and forefinger.
My breath hitched slightly, to frozen by fear to pull away, it was as if my blood had turned to ice.
Evelyn didn’t seem to be having the same problem I was, in fact she was blazing fire. Her own hand reached out and caught his wrist as she stepped forward, her jaw clenched tightly.
“You can have me instead.” She said, her words ringing clearly in my ears.
I noted the Prince’s smile growing even wilder, hungrier, more like the jaws of a tiger than the mouth of a man.
“No...” I whispered, reaching forward and tugging her arm, “no, no, no!” I cried, my voice growing even more desperate.
“Isn’t this cute?” The vampire raised a slender eyebrow, his fingertips reaching out and running fleetingly over Evelyn’s collarbones. “The love of a family.” I knew his skin must have felt like needles of ice, but she refused to let him get the better of her.
“Evelyn, you can’t!” I begged, tears beginning to stream down my face as I wrapped my arms tightly around her waist, my face buried in-between her shoulder blades.
My sister turned to me, her hands tearing me off of her as she leant down and looked me dead in the eyes.
“Yes, I can.” She corrected me through gritted teeth. “Now, run, go... get away from here!”
Those were orders I just simply couldn’t bring myself to follow. I couldn’t leave my sister in the hands of a monster like this one – especially when it was my entire fault. My tears were beginning to distort my vision as I gazed up at her pleadingly, shaking my head.
“Go, Drew!” Evelyn demanded, giving me a good shove so that I stumbled backwards rather violently. I blinked away tears furiously, gazing up at her and scrambling backwards as she mouthed ‘run’.