Home

'66

"Betsy!" A knock. "Bets, you awake?" I waited another second to see just how badly he needed me. "C'monnn, Bets. I got a new record by this Hendrix guy. I'm not listening to it without you." That made me smile. I opened my bedroom door and he came right through. Momma always said to keep the door open if I had Phillip in my room. He went right to the turntable and put it on, then lay on the carpet and pat the space next to him. I went next to him and he took my hand. There was nothing romantic going on between the two of us. Phillip was just an affectionate guy. He liked to touch people. Mostly me, but also his mom and even my mom sometimes.

"Pretty cool, huh?" he grinned. We spent the afternoon like we spent several others, just appreciating the music and each other's company. I felt my eyelids get heavy at some point. When I woke up I was in bed and Phillip was by my side. I gasped and got up right away, glancing at the open door.

"Phillip!" I slapped his arm. He rubbed his eyes and squinted up at me. I felt kind of bad for waking him up too. "You know what my momma says!"

"We're not doing anything," he was right. I didn't even know what doing anything meant. I always thought it was kissing, and I definitely didn't want to kiss Phillip. "'Sides, we're sixteen. We're adults." I had to snort at that.

"An adult? Yeah, okay..."

He tilted his head to the side. "What's your bag, man?"

"Oh, nothing. Mr. Adult, who still sleeps with a night light."

"Oh, you're dead meat!" he yelled. I laughed as we fell to the floor and he tickled what felt like every inch of my body. He was laughing too, until his hand brushed against my chest. That sobered us up pretty quickly.

"Did you-"

"I'm sorry-"

We stopped at the same time. Not only had he touched me in a place I hadn't been touched before, but he was still straddling me from the tickling. My stomach was doing flips all over the place. He might have been about to say something, but momma chose the perfect time to walk past the doorway with a basket full of laundry. She did a double take.

"Elizabeth!"
♠ ♠ ♠
i don't know i'm so sorry