Home

'66

I wasn't allowed to be friends with Phillip after that. Momma would never kick out a boarder, but she wouldn't let me hang around with Phillip anymore. But what my momma didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

We walked to and from school every day and ate lunch together. When she was running errands we'd talk or eat cookies or listen to a record and no one told on us. Everything was good for a couple of months. But one night I heard Mrs. Duke and momma in the office, talking about "the rest of the month" and "paid already." I'd eavesdropped on talks like this before. Mrs. Duke was leaving, and Phillip had to be going with her. It was the summer time, nearly two years after they first moved in, but I was suddenly shivering. My throat closed up, my head felt heavy, and I wanted to cry. I ran up the stairs and into my room before they could have a chance to notice me. Phillip came into my room a short while later. I guessed momma didn't care about the 'no-Phillip' rule anymore.

"I'm sorry, Bets." I turned my back towards him. I didn't want him there. Not when he would leave anyway. "Shoot, Bets. You know I don't wanna go."

"Then don't," my throat was hoarse from crying. I felt the bed dip down and he was there, scooping me into his arms. "Where?" I hoped he would get what I was asking.

"Ohio." It wasn't terribly far from New York, but it was far away from me. I finally turned to bury my face in his chest and like countless times before, he held me while I cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
shout out to my fellow irish for our awesomely sunburnable skin because ow