Home

'69

"This is gonna be great," he shot me a smile. I tried smiling back. Phillip either didn't notice my misery or didn't care. I didn't want to go to this music thing. It was supposed to rain and I was so not into camping out. But Phillip asked me to come along, and how could I reject those puppy dog eyes?

"Pass me a joint, man," Joe called from the back seat. Phillip's friends were joining us and we were all smushed in Phillip's van. I was counting the hours until it was all over. We couldn't even drive there. The roads were all blocked up and after waiting for an hour, we just got out and walked. We walked, carrying our bags, until we got the the field at dusk.

"How're you supposed to see anyone?" I squinted. The stage seemed miles away in the sea of people already there. Tents were set up and camp fires were burning all around.

A girl whose name I forgot wrinkled her nose like I was the scum of the earth. "You don't see the bands. You feel the music, and the vibes all around you." I rolled my eyes. We set up our own tent, which became pretty crowded. I opted for sleeping under the sky and Phillip joined me. The only comfort I took in the whole thing was Phillip's hand closing around mine.

I woke up to a pain in my hand. I yelped and cradled it to my chest. What was that? Then I noticed legs everywhere. Jean clad, bare, all around. I realized I was still under my blanket while everyone else was up. Phillip was nowhere to be seen. In fact, I couldn't see anyone I knew.

"Phillip?" I stood up. I wasn't particularly short, but I still couldn't see over anyone's heads. A guitar riff was playing faintly, but I hardly noticed it. "Phillip? Joe? Kara?" I couldn't believe it. No one around me paid me any attention. So I did what I did best. I started to cry.

"You need to relax, man!" some guy next to me said. He shook a prescription bottle at me, but I didn't want to find out what was inside. I shook my head. He shrugged and turned to the person next to him.

I elbowed my way out of the crowd and sat under one of the trees surrounding the property. All I wanted to do was go home. It seemed like hours that I just sat there. Millions of things kept running through my head. Anger at Phillip and his stupid friends, claustrophobic with all the people around, and just pure terror. I was all alone- I didn't even know where to begin if I had to walk home.

It was getting dark once again when I heard a "Betsy!" I looked around but couldn't find the source of the voice. "Betsy!" I stood up this time.

The blonde hair he'd been growing out pushed past a few people and there he was. He squeezed me tight but I just kept my arms at my sides. He left me all alone. No way was I ready to forgive him. "You scared the hell out of me, Bets," he said into my ear.

My tears started up again. I hated being a huge baby. "I woke up and you were gone. Why would you leave me?"

"I wanted to try getting closer to the stage. Joe and Misty stayed back and I told them to wait until you woke up to get a move on, but I guess they didn't listen. Assholes," he was still holding me and I finally returned the hug.

"Don't ever do that again," I tried putting as much venom in my voice as I could.

"I won't. I'm so sorry, Betsy. I'll never leave you again."
♠ ♠ ♠
there's this guy who made my drink at starbucks and he looks just like EZRA KOENIG AND IT MADE ME SO HAPPY TO BE ALIVE

also, thank you pelican park. and gotham's finest. and everyone for reading or subscribing or recc'ing this! :]