Sequel: Non Sequitur

Cinematic Confessions

The Other End of the Line

Autumn had told herself she wasn't going to look up what people were saying about her online. But, she found herself in her hotel room before the game against Nashville doing just that. Kelly had gone out with Niklas Hjalmarsson's wife, leaving Autumn alone, and she couldn't resist doing a quick Google search of her name.

She was surprised when a rumor website popped up first, and she clicked on the link. She sucked in her breath as she skimmed through the message boards, reading all the horrible things people were writing about her. Who does this girl think she is, trapping Corey? Gold digger if I've ever seen one. You know she just wants his money, and what better way to get it than to trick him into getting her pregnant.

Stunned, Autumn scrolled down to the next post about her. She needs to work on her appearance. She's not up to par of the other WAGs on the team. Like, compare her with Abby, not even close.

She shook her head, wanting to shut her laptop, but something was pulling her in to read more. She didn't notice that time was flying by, and she should have left ten minutes ago. She was so consumed in reading all of these nasty posts about her. She was startled when she heard a loud knocking on her hotel door. "Autumn!" she heard Brianna call out from the other side of the door, and she quickly put the laptop next to her on the bed and opened the door, finding both Brianna and Abby standing there.

"C'mon, we need to go!" Brianna told her.

Abby noticed that Autumn had an upset look on her face. "What's going on, Autumn?" she asked her.

Autumn quickly filled her in on the terrible things people were saying about her, and she showed the two women the website she had found. "Don't let them get to you," Abby told her, mirroring Brianna's words from the day before. "Let's go, and we'll talk about this on the way," she added, knowing that it was going to be on Brianna's mind, but they needed to get to the arena soon.

Brianna nodded her head, grabbing her purse off the floor, and following Brianna and Abby out the door. They had already gotten a taxi, which was waiting for them, and drove to the arena. "I thought we talked about this yesterday, not letting them get to you?" Brianna said.

"Yeah, but it's different now after reading some of the things they're saying," Autumn shrugged.

"They're jealous because Corey's in love with you," Abby told her. "The same reason that they talk badly about me because Iā€™m married to Patrick. It doesn't matter that we've been together for years, they still think I'm using him!" she rolled her eyes.

Brianna chimed in next. "And remember what I told you? They thought I was waiting on Chelsea to die so I could sink my claws into Brent," she said the most ludicrous rumor that she had read about herself. "They're all crazy and jealous. And, they're probably like fifteen year old girls. You just have to remember that Corey loves you, and nothing they say is going to change it."

Autumn gave them a small smile. "You're right," she agreed.

"We always are," Abby said with a chuckle. The rest of the ride to the arena was fairly quick, and they were dropped off right out in front, getting a couple of boos from Predators fans, but they ignored them as they made their way inside to find their seats.

Abby sat in between Brianna and Autumn, leaving Autumn sitting next to Kelly on her other side. She was happy with the random pick of seats, as she was around the nicer of the women. She listened to some of the other girlfriends talk about their evenings, most including a lot of sex, and she wondered if Corey ever felt bad about not getting as much sex as some of his teammates. She didn't always feel in the mood being pregnant, though she and Corey still were together fairly often.

Abby leaned over, asking, "How does it feel knowing you're dating the hottest goalie in the league?"

Autumn laughed, shaking her head. "It's so weird because I don't see him as anything other than Corey, but everyone else in the world sees him as the Blackhawks goaltender."

Abby nodded her head in understanding. "Oh trust me, I get it. Girls literally throw themselves at Patrick, and I have to keep reminding myself that he's semi-famous, at least in Chicago. It's weird. I mean, I've known him for so long, I knew him back in college when no one really knew who he was. And, that's the person I still see him as."

The Blackhawks skated onto the ice, and boos were heard throughout the arena. The wives and girlfriends stood up, cheering, and Autumn felt a weird pang in her stomach, but she ignored it as she watched Corey skate to his end of the rink.

She sat back down, feeling a little queasy, and Brianna leaned over Abby to talk to her. "You okay?" she asked, concerned.

Autumn waved her off. "Yeah, I'm fine," she said with a smile. Brianna was skeptical but let it go as she paid attention to her husband out on the ice.

The first half of the first period went by quickly. Corey made several fantastic saves, and Autumn couldn't have been prouder of him as she watched him shift around in front of the net.

Autumn's eyes were locked on Corey during a Predators power play when she heard Abby ask, "Autumn, did you spill ketchup on yourself?"

Autumn reluctantly pulled her attention away from her boyfriend to look over at Abby, confusion as she played back her question in her head. "Huh? What?" she asked.

Abby pointed down to Autumn's white leggings she was wearing, where there was indeed a red stain on the inside thigh. Autumn's face bunched up in puzzlement, knowing she hadn't eaten anything since changing into these clothes. She reached down, touching it with her index finger, and then her eyes went wide. "Oh my God," she muttered under her breath.

"What's wrong?" Abby asked, concerned for her friend.

Autumn felt her stomach knot up as she told her, "It's blood."

"Oh my God!" Abby exclaimed, causing Brianna to turn her attention towards her and Autumn. "We need to go to the hospital now!" she said, lowering her voice so just Autumn and Brianna could hear her, not wanting to make a scene amongst all the wives and girlfriends.

Autumn shook her head emphatically. "No, it's fine!" she insisted.

"Autumn! It's not fine. You're bleeding. You're pregnant and you're bleeding," she told her as if Autumn wasn't aware of this fact.

Brianna finally saw what all the commotion was about, and her eyes widened as well. "Autumn, we need to go. Now," she repeated Abby's words.

"Guys, it's the middle of the game," she said, motioning towards the ice where the whistle was being blown for a penalty on the Predators. "I can't leave in the middle of the game."

"I think Corey will understand. In fact, I think he'd be more pissed if you didn't go now. Autumn, you're bleeding more," Abby said, pointing to Autumn's pants, where the red spot had now grown larger. "C'mon, I'll go with you, okay?"

Autumn shook her head, and Brianna started to protest, but Autumn cut her off. "No, you stay here. Both of you. Watch your husbands. I'll take myself. Can you just let Corey know I went?"

"We're not letting you go by yourself!" Brianna exclaimed, unable to believe Autumn had even suggested that.

"I won't go if either of you try to come with me," she stated, not wanting them to miss the game because something was wrong with her. "I'll call you when I get there to let you know where I'm at. Just let Corey know, okay?"

Abby slowly nodded her head, not liking the plan, but knowing Autumn was going to have her way. Brianna sighed. "Yes, but if anything happens, you better call me right away and I'll be there with you in a heartbeat."

Autumn looked Brianna in the eyes. "Do you think something is wrong with the baby?" she spoke the one fear she was having. She knew that spotting was something that could happen during pregnancy, but this was more than spotting, though she didn't want to admit it.

"I'm sure it's fine, but you need to go get checked out," Brianna said softly.

Abby put her hand on Autumn's arm. "It'll be okay," she assured her, but Autumn could tell she wasn't so sure herself.

Autumn slowly stood up, trying to conceal the blood as much as possible and excused herself down the aisle and out of the arena, catching a taxi outside, trying to remain as calm and optimistic as possible, though something was telling her that everything wasn't going to be okay.

ā—ā—ā—


Corey watched the final few seconds countdown, and smiled to himself as he finished up his bid for a shutout. He was excited that Autumn had been there to watch him play in such a good game, and he couldn't wait to get to the dressing room, shower, change, and see her.

However, when he finally got out of the locker room after finishing up interviews, he couldn't seem to find Autumn. He looked up and down the hallway, seeing all the other girlfriends, but he couldn't pick out his own girlfriend.

Suddenly, Brianna was running up to him with Brent following her. "Corey, jeez, I've been looking for you everywhere! Where have you been?" she questioned.

"I was in an--"

"Autumn's in the hospital," she interrupted him.

Corey felt his whole world crashing around him. "Wh-what? What happened?" he asked, his head spinning as he looked between Brianna and Brent, wanting one of them to just fill him in already.

"She was bleeding," Brianna answered, but it didn't click with Corey right away exactly what she meant by that. "The baby," she continued softly.

"Shit," Corey cursed. "How is she? Is she okay?" he asked, a nervous wreck at this point.

Brianna shook her head. "I don't know. She hasn't called since she got to the hospital," she began.

"She went to the hospital alone?" Corey yelled, causing Brianna to flinch as she took a step backwards. She knew Corey wouldn't lay a hand on her, but his raised voice startled her.

Brent took a step forward, as if shielding Brianna. "I know you're worried, but don't you dare take it out on my wife," he warned Corey.

"Sorry," Corey quickly said an apology. "I need to get to the hospital," he said, completely frazzled. If something happened to Autumn, he didn't know what he'd do. She had been in the hospital just a few weeks prior due to false labor, and now she was going in for bleeding. He had a right to be worried about her.

"We'll go with you," Brianna offered, grabbing Brent's hand. She wished she hadn't listened to Autumn when she said she wanted to go alone. Corey was right to be upset that Autumn had gone in by herself. She really should have had someone there with her. She put a hand on Corey's shoulder. "It's going to be alright," she told him.

He looked down at her, worry in his eyes. "Will it?" he asked softly.

Brianna didn't know what to say so she just gave him a soft smile and pulled Brent along as they walked out of the arena and got a taxi to the hospital that Autumn had told her she had gone to.