Sequel: Non Sequitur

Cinematic Confessions

Take Me Home Tonight

Corey was trying to stay calm, but he was having a hard time doing so. He was sitting in the taxi, looking out the window, as Brianna sat next to him in the middle of the backseat of the cab, with Brent next to her. Brianna kept glancing at him, but she didn't know what to say to help Corey, so she kept silent.

They reached the hospital after what felt like forever, and Corey couldn't get out of the taxi fast enough. Brent was prepared for that and handed the driver some cash to cover the ride, before he followed Brianna and Corey inside.

Corey knew better than to simply just ask for an update on Autumn, knowing they wouldn't tell him since he wasn't related to her. So instead he lied to the nurse at the front desk, telling her that he was Autumn's husband. "Oh, let me get her room number," the nurse said immediately, and Corey impatiently waited for the information. "Room 512," she finally said, and Corey rushed to the elevator.

He practically ran to her room once he got to the fifth floor in the maternity wing, and he saw her lying there with her eyes closed. "Autumn!" he exclaimed as he reached her bedside and grabbed her hand.

Autumn slowly opened her eyes, obviously drowsy, but she smiled when she saw Corey there. "Hey, how was the end of the game?" she asked him.

Corey shook his head. "It doesn’t matter," he told her. "How are you? What's going on?" he asked, worried. "Are you okay? Is the baby okay?"

"I…I don't know," she told him. "They haven't told me anything. I think they gave me something to put me to sleep. I don't remember a whole lot once I got here," she admitted.

Corey didn't want to leave her side, but he also wanted to get the doctor so he could get an update on her status. "Seabs, can you go see if the doctor is around?" he asked his teammate, and Brent nodded his head, walking out into the hallway to try to find Autumn's physician. Corey brushed Autumn's hair out of her eyes. "I was so scared when Bri told me you went to the hospital. Why did you go on your own? Why not have one of the girls go with you?" he asked her.

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "I just didn't want them to miss the game. It's the WAGs trip, and I didn't want to ruin it for them," she explained what she had been thinking.

"Oh Autumn, you're more important than a game," Brianna assured her.

Autumn smiled at her before turning her attention back towards Corey. She felt bad that she had worried him so much. "Core," she said quietly, and he looked into her eyes, brushing her hair back off of her forehead once again as he waited on her to continue. "What if something happened to the baby?" she asked barely above a whisper.

Brianna could tell this was a private moment between the couple and decided to exit the room to go see if Brent was able to track down Autumn's doctor.

Corey kissed her forehead. "I'm sure everything is fine," he tried to ease her anxiety, but in reality, he had no idea what was going on right now. Autumn bit her lip, obviously worried, and he tried to calm her down.

He was happy when Brent came back inside with the doctor in tow. "I'm Dr. Shavers. You must be the father," he introduced himself, and Corey didn't feel like correcting him, just wanting the information on Autumn's status.

"Is the baby alright?" Autumn asked, looking up at the doctor with a worried expression on her face.

Dr. Shavers smiled at her. "The baby is just fine," he assured her.

"Then why was she bleeding?" Corey asked, resting against the side of her bed. He reached over and grabbed her hand, running his thumb along the top of her hand.

"Autumn has something called placenta previa," Dr. Shavers revealed, and Corey's forehead wrinkled with confusion, not understanding the medical term. Dr. Shavers saw the look and further explained. "Her placenta is lying pretty low, and it's come down and covered part of her cervix."

Autumn looked up, scared. "Is that bad for the baby?" she asked.

"Or for Autumn when it comes to giving birth?" Corey questioned, worried about Autumn's safety. He'd seen what Brent had gone through with Brianna when she had to go into emergency surgery after losing so much blood when giving birth to Ryan, and he didn't want anything happening to Autumn.

"Placenta previa isn't uncommon. Fortunately for you, you've got partial covering of the cervix instead of complete coverage," Dr. Shavers told them, but Autumn didn't know what that meant. "You really need to have your obstetrician at home look at you, as they'll probably keep a closer eye on you now that you've only got a couple months left before you're due. There is a chance for complications during pregnancy," he said, and Corey felt his heart speed up at those words. "But, your home physician can come up with the best plan for you. Sometimes they'll go ahead and schedule a C-section, knowing you've got this. That might be the best option for you. In the meantime, I suggest you go on complete bed rest. You also need pelvic rest. That means no tampons, no sex."

Autumn's eyes widened. "Complete bed rest?" she questioned, latching on to those words out of everything he said. "I can't do that," she told him.

"I'm sure your physician will say the same thing. It's what we tell all cases like this."

Autumn opened her mouth to argue, but Corey beat her to the punch. "She'll be on complete bed rest, Doctor. I can promise you that," he assured him.

Dr. Shavers nodded his head. "Good. We'll get the paperwork ready, and we'll release you," he stated, walking out of the room.

Autumn turned her head to look at Corey. "Corey, I can't go on complete bed rest! I'll go insane," she argued.

"And you'd rather what? Have something happen to you or the baby?" he asked. Autumn didn't have an argument for that. She would never want anything to happen to Cade and Katherine's baby. "You'll be on complete bed rest as soon as we get back to Chicago. Even tonight, we're going back and you're immediately getting in bed," he told her.

They heard a light tap on the door and Brianna peek her head into the room. "Is everything okay?" she asked cautiously. She was worried for Autumn and the baby.

Autumn nodded her head, motioning for her and Brent to come inside the room. "Yeah, they said my placenta is low and covering part of the cervix. That's apparently why I was bleeding. I'm going to have to do some more research on it, I'd never heard of what he told me it was," Autumn admitted. "But, they said I'll be okay. So will the baby. I just need to go on bed rest," she grimaced.

"I'm so glad you and the baby are okay!" Brianna told her.

Autumn smiled. "Thanks. You and Brent can head back to the hotel. Corey's going to take me back and make sure I go right to bed," she said, looking at him out of the corner of her eye.

"That's right. Bed rest," he said before turning to his teammate and his wife. "Go get some sleep. Or not. Whatever you guys are planning on doing," he said with a chuckle. "We'll see you tomorrow," he told them.

They all said their goodbyes, leaving Autumn and Corey alone. They got Autumn's discharge papers and he was wheeling her out to the taxi that had been called for them, all while Autumn argued that Corey was making too big of a fuss about this by getting her a wheelchair.

He got Autumn into the taxi before sliding in next to her, and she put her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I ruined the weekend," she apologized.

Corey wrapped his arm around her, pulling her in close as the taxi driver pulled away from the curb and headed back to their hotel. "Autumn, baby, you didn't ruin anything. I'm glad you came this weekend," he told her, kissing the top of her head.

"Yeah, but I didn't even make it through your game. I didn't get to see you play past the first period," she reminded him.

"That's not what's important," he told her. "I'm glad that you're okay and the baby is okay," he said, reaching over and putting his hand gently on her stomach.

"You really do care about this baby, don't you?" she asked softly.

Corey chuckled. "Yeah, I do. I know she's not mine. She's not even yours. But, hopefully one day you will be carrying my baby, and I'll get to do this all again," he said.

Autumn smiled to herself at that thought. "Even the multiple trips to the hospital?" she asked. "This really hasn't been an easy pregnancy, has it? I hope it isn't foreshadowing what the next pregnancy could end up like," she thought aloud.

Corey ran his hand up and down her back. "I hope not, too," he agreed. "You have no idea how worried I was when Bri told me you were at the hospital. I came out of the locker room and I couldn't see you, and then she came running up telling me you'd gone to the hospital. I was so scared," he admitted.

Autumn leaned back off of him so she could look up into his eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to worry you."

He wrapped her up in his arms, pulling her back into him. "I just don't want anything to happen to you," he told her.

"I was really scared something had happened to the baby," she said after a few moments of silence. "Not only for Kat and Cade, but also what about the future of me having kids."

Corey started to say something, but then the taxi came to a halt in front of their hotel. He paid the driver before helping Autumn out of the back of the cab and into the lobby. He had texted Duncan earlier and knew that he was staying in Kelly and Autumn's room, so Corey went straight to his room. Autumn didn't have any clothes there since they were all still in her suitcase in her room, so Corey got her a t-shirt and a pair of shorts out of his suitcase.

He helped her settle into bed, and after quickly going to the bathroom, he joined her. He pulled her into his body, cuddling her. "I love you," he whispered into her ear as he kissed the skin lightly right behind it.

Autumn inhaled deeply with a big smile on her face as she rolled over so she was facing him. "I love you, too," she replied. "You know, I don't know what I'd do without you. Through this pregnancy and everything. You're really amazing," she told him. Her mind briefly went back to those horrible posts on the internet she had read earlier about herself. "You don't think I’m using you, do you?" she asked suddenly.

Corey lifted an eyebrow at her question. "Using me?" he repeated.

Autumn nodded her head. "Yeah, there's a lot of people out there that think I'm using you, that I trapped you with the baby."

"What?" he asked, thoroughly confused by her words.

"On the internet," she explained. "There's a lot of people saying…not so nice things about me," she chose her wording carefully. "I just don't want you to think I'm using you or anything."

Corey laughed. "It's not like you trapped me," he told her. "Hell, you were pregnant before you met me. And, who cares what anyone else thinks? I love you, and I want to be with you, and that's all that matters," he said matter-of-factly.

"Are you really going to make me go on bed rest?" she changed the subject, satisfied with the answer he had given her.

"Oh yeah," Corey nodded his head. "Until this baby comes out into the real world," he said.

"Well she better get here quickly then. I can't handle being on bed rest for the next two months!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't want to leave you all with a cliffhanger for too long! Thank you so, so, so much for all your feedback!!