Sequel: Non Sequitur

Cinematic Confessions

Daddy's Little Girls

Autumn looked out the window at the scenery of Indiana. Since Autumn had been put on bed rest, the doctor had also told her she shouldn't fly in case something happened while they were up in the air. So, an hour and a half flight turned into a seven and a half hour drive from Nashville to Chicago to get back home.

She had tried telling everyone that she could drive herself back home, but Brianna had refused to let her do that, so she had rented a car and drove herself and Autumn back to Chicago. "I can't tell you the last time I road tripped somewhere," Brianna commented. "Brent doesn't like spending that long in a car so we usually fly and do a short drive wherever we're going."

"Well I'm sorry that you're stuck going back with me," Autumn apologized.

Brianna looked over at Autumn briefly before turning her attention back to the road. They were about to Indianapolis so the traffic had picked up. "Did you not hear me, I like road trips," Brianna chuckled. She could tell Autumn was only half paying attention to what she was saying. "Okay, tell me what you're thinking," Brianna told her.

Autumn slowly turned her head to look over at her friend. "They're putting me on bed rest," she stated.

"I'm sorry," Brianna empathized. "I know that sucks, especially when you've still got a few months to go. But you know everyone is going to be waiting hand and foot on you."

Autumn shook her head. "That's just it, I don’t want that. I like my independence. I like being able to go to work everyday. I don't want to stay in my apartment all the time every day. I mean, it's a great apartment, Kat did a great job picking it out. But, being cooped up in there all day every day, that's going to kill me," she told Brianna. "Plus, do you know how lonely and boring that's going to be every day. I mean, I'm sure Kat will come over when she gets off of work, and Cade will be there when he's not working. And, Corey at night. But, it's just…" she trailed off, not knowing how best to describe how she was feeling.

"Not what you want," Brianna finished for her. "I get it. And, we'll try to make it the best we can on you. I'll come hang out when I get finished with work in the mornings," she told her. She had gone back on air after taking several weeks off after Ryan was born. "I'll bring Ryan and we can hang out for the day."

Autumn smiled a genuine smile. "I'd like that," she told her. She looked out the window once again as a pleasant silence filled the car. Brianna started playing with the knob for the radio, trying to find a radio station that they both enjoyed. She finally stopped on a top 40 station and the two sang along to the radio the last few hours of the trip back home.

Brianna fought through traffic like a pro when she hit Chicago and made her way back to Autumn's place. Brianna got out of the car first to go grab Autumn's suitcase out of the trunk and was surprised when someone reached from behind her to lift it up for her. She turned around, seeing Corey standing there. "I've got it from here," he told her. "Thank you for driving her home."

Brianna smiled. "Of course, I had a good time," she replied. She walked around to Autumn's side of the car as Autumn opened the door. "Autumn, that was fun, but I think you're in better hands now," she smiled at her, and Autumn looked around her to see Corey standing there with her suitcase in his hand.

"Thank you for driving," Autumn said. "I really appreciate it."

"Not a problem," Brianna assured her. "I'll text you later, and I'll come over tomorrow after work?"

Autumn nodded her head. "Yes please!" she responded before giving her a quick hug.

"Brent's waiting for you at home. He's going to go follow you to the rental car place so he can drive you back home," Corey told Brianna before she got back in the car and went back to her place.

Corey walked over to Autumn and put an arm around her. "I'm glad you made it back okay," he said. "Kat and Cade are waiting inside for you," he warned her. She had called Katherine that morning to tell her that she was driving back home with Brianna.

Autumn walked inside, confused when she saw a suitcase in there. She glanced at Corey who came in behind her, carrying her suitcase that she had taken to Nashville with her, and she wondered where the one just inside the door had come from. Was Katherine going to be so overprotective as to move into her apartment with her? She wouldn't put it past her best friend. "Hey," Autumn greeted Katherine with a smile.

"How are you feeling?" Katherine asked immediately, worried since Autumn had just endured a long drive home.

"I'm okay," Autumn assured her. She could feel all eyes on her, and she tried to smile to prove she was telling the truth.

"So you're on bed rest now," Katherine stated.

Autumn's eyes shifted to the suitcase, still wondering what was going on. "Yeah," she said slowly. "Please don't worry about me, I'll be just fine. So will the baby. You know I'd never do anything to hurt this baby," she protectively laid her hands on top of her belly.

"I know that," Katherine nodded her head.

"We both know that," Cade agreed, putting his hand on Katherine's shoulder. "We just want to make sure that if anything happens to you or the baby that there's someone there to help you."

Autumn's eyes narrowed as she tried to comprehend what Cade was saying. "So, we think it'd be best if you didn't stay by yourself," Katherine continued where her husband left off.

"What?" Autumn asked, confused.

"We're going to have you come stay with us," Katherine told her. "I came over earlier and got some of your things together," she said, motioning towards the suitcase, and now things were becoming clearer for Autumn, not that she liked this plan one bit. "Obviously, we can come get anything we left behind as needed. It's not like we're that far away. But, I think it's best if you're living with someone. Who knows what could happen in the middle of the night."

"I'm with Corey almost every night," Autumn interrupted. It was true. She and Corey stayed together every night he was in town, whether it be at his place or hers.

"He's welcome to stay over," Cade said, realizing as the words came out how awkward they sounded.

"Kat, Cade, I love you, but I really don't want to stay with you guys. I'll stay here, and if anything happens, I promise to call one of you immediately," she insisted, looking between the three of them.

"C'mon, Autumn," Katherine argued. "We both know you're not one to actually go on bed rest like the doctor said, especially if you're here alone."

Autumn knew Katherine had a point. Katherine knew her better than just about anyone in the world, and she knew Autumn would get antsy in her apartment on her own and was likely to ignore the doctor's orders. "Kat," Autumn began before Corey spoke for the first time.

"She'll stay with me," Corey stated.

Everyone turned to look at him, including Autumn, who was surprised he was inviting her to live with him officially. They may stay together most nights, but they had always had their separate places. This would be a big step for them and their relationship. "Core, you don't need to do that," she told him.

"Do what?" Corey questioned. "It makes sense. I'm home most of the time except when I'm at practice. And, you're already over at my place a lot at night. And that way we're not invading Cade and Kat's lives. Just move in with me," he said simply. Autumn wondered if he realized what he was saying and how big this would be for the two of them.

"Really?" she asked, still a little bit in disbelief.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't see the big deal, Autumn," he said casually before glancing over at Katherine and Cade. "Unless you guys don't trust me to take her in," he said half-jokingly.

"That actually might be a better plan," Katherine spoke, surprising Autumn, who thought her best friend would put up a fight on this matter in order to have Autumn stay with her so she could keep an eye on her at all times.

"Really?" Autumn questioned, her eyes big.

Katherine nodded her head. "Yes, really," she said with a light chuckle. "I know he's protective of you, and I know he's going to make sure you do what the doctor says. And I definitely know that you're not going to be able to disobey him!"

Autumn bit her lip, her attention turning back towards her boyfriend. "You really want me to move in with you?" she asked him.

Corey smiled at her. "Will you stop overthinking it and just agree to it already?" he grinned.

"Okay," she agreed, and he bent down to give her a kiss on the lips.

"And for now, I think you should go lay down," Katherine said, and Autumn groaned. "Don't give me that! You heard the doctor, bed rest is what you need. But, maybe we can go out to dinner tonight?" she suggested. "Cade has the night off, and it could be fun to go on a double date."

Autumn nodded her head. "Sure," she said. "But, I am not going to go to bed right now. I will sit down on the couch though," she conceded, walking around Corey to her sofa, taking a seat and putting her feet that were getting sore on top of the coffee table in front of her.

"We'll meet you at seven?" Cade asked. "You can pick the restaurant," he told her.

Autumn tilted her head back so she could look at Cade standing behind where she sat. "Sounds good," she told him as he put a hand on her shoulder to say goodbye. Katherine gave her a hug from behind the couch before she and Cade left.

Corey came over and sat down next to her. "So, you're moving in," he said with a smile on his face.

"I am," she nodded her head. "I think I should call my dad and let him know. It's a pretty big deal," she said, hoping Corey wouldn't freak out about it, but he seemed to be happy with the situation.

Corey laughed. "How do you think your dad is going to feel about you moving in with a Hawks player?" he asked.

"Let's find out," Autumn smiled. Her dad hated the Blackhawks, but he had really taken a liking to Corey, despite the team he played for. She heard her dad pick up, and she said, "Hey, dad!"

"Autumn, how are you doing? You feeling better?" he asked her. She had talked to him when she got out of the hospital to let him know that she was doing okay and that everything was okay with the baby.

"I'm feeling okay," she told him. "I called you because I wanted to tell you some good news," she said, glancing over at Corey who reached over and grabbed her hand.

"What's that?" Alan asked his daughter.

"Um…well, I'm moving in with Corey," she stated, waiting on her dad's reaction.

"You're moving in with a Hawk," he said lowly, and Autumn sucked in a breath, worried that her dad wasn't happy with that decision. He wasn't old-fashioned, he understood that people moved in together before getting married, so she knew he wouldn't be upset with that concept.

"Yes, Dad," she said with a nervous laugh. "Since they want me on bed rest, we didn't think that it'd be a good idea to have me living on my own in this apartment," she explained.

"Autumn, he better not turn you into a diehard Hawks fan," Alan told her lightly, and with that, she knew he was okay with her moving in with Corey.

Autumn didn't have the heart to tell her dad that she was already a diehard Hawks fan because of Corey. She still wasn't the biggest hockey fan, but she was the biggest supporter of her boyfriend. "No promises," she laughed.

"Are you happy, Autumn?" she heard her father say.

She glanced over at Corey, knowing he'd heard her father's question, and she squeezed his hand, smiling at him. "I am. Though I'd be happier if I wasn't on bed rest. Do you know how awful that is, Dad?" she asked him. "They want me in bed all the time. I hate that!"

Alan laughed, knowing his daughter. "I'm sure it's killing you already, Autumn. But, do what the doctors says, honey. Do what's best for you and the baby."

"I will, Dad. I love you," she told him.

"I love you, too," he repeated before hanging up with her. She smiled to herself, happy that she'd gotten her father's approval on the matter. Now, she just needed to get through the next couple of months without going crazy from being on forced bed rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think :)