Sequel: Non Sequitur

Cinematic Confessions

The Perfect Man

Autumn looked down at one month old Harper in her arms. It had been a difficult task getting her away from Katherine for a few moments, as the new mother wanted to hold her baby all the time, not that Autumn could blame her. Harper was absolutely adorable, and even she couldn't get enough of her.

"She's so cute," Autumn gushed, smiling as she watched Harper squirm in her arms.

"You ready for one of your own?" Katherine smiled at her.

Autumn shook her head. "Not even close to ready," she laughed. "There's a few other things that need to happen first," she added.

"Like you and Corey getting married?"

"Like Corey proposing since he turned me down," Autumn replied.

"Oh please, don't be upset that he turned you down! You kept saying you wanted a big proposal and all that. Hell, you turned him down how many times?" Katherine laughed, remembering being so surprised that Autumn had told him no more than once, even though it was obvious that she wanted to marry Corey. "And, you were literally in the middle of giving birth, did you really expect him to say yes?" she asked.

Autumn sighed as she looked up from Harper towards Katherine. "Yeah, I know. It came out of nowhere, but I just wanted to know he was going to be there for me forever," she shrugged, trying to explain what had been going through her mind during that time, besides the amount of pain she was feeling.

Katherine put her hand on Autumn's shoulder. "And he is going to be there forever. He just wants to be the man and propose," she smiled. "Brent said he's been planning a proposal," she added.

Autumn's head snapped up. "What?"

Katherine nodded, surprised that Autumn was acting so shocked. Corey had told her on more than one occasion before that he was planning a big proposal for her since that's what she wanted. "I don't know anything other than that. Brent shut up before he gave me any details. He knows I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut around you," she laughed. "But, apparently Corey's planning something," she shrugged her shoulders, wishing she could give her more information. "So, don't worry about him not being there forever. I think we all know he's not going anywhere. Can you really believe that you've been with him for only eight months? I feel like you've always been dating him," she smiled, remembering back to when Autumn and Corey first started dating and when she hadn't been the biggest fan of Corey. But, now she couldn't imagine Autumn with anyone else.

"I know," Autumn agreed. "I don’t really remember a time he wasn't in my life," she laughed. "But, I guess I just need to remember before I was pregnant, right? I still can't believe he started dating me after I was pregnant. The guys must have thought he was crazy, dating a pregnant girl."

Harper started getting fussy and Autumn couldn't calm her down so she handed her back over to Katherine, who started rocking her in her arms, quieting her down. "And, soon, you'll be having one of these with him," Katherine smiled, nodding towards the little girl in her arms.

They heard the front door open, and Cade came walking in, looking exhausted. "Long day?" Autumn asked him. He was just about to finish his residency in the emergency room, and he was hoping to get a job full time there. He and Katherine didn't want to move anywhere for his job, but if they had to, they would. But, there was a spot opening with one of the ER physicians leaving, so they were hoping Cade could land the spot.

Cade inhaled deeply as he nodded his head. "Yeah, I don't think I've slept in thirty-six hours," he explained, running his hands over his tired face.

"Yeah, between his double shifts at work and then this little girl crying through the night, he hasn't been sleeping much" Katherine elaborated before looking over at Cade. "Why don't you go and lay down, try to get some sleep while she's being quiet," she suggested.

"Okay," Cade agreed, heading to the bedroom, waving goodbye to Autumn.

"I should probably leave, too. I'm meeting Corey for some coffee," Autumn told Katherine.

"How happy are you to be able to have your drink of choice again?" she laughed, knowing that Autumn hated having to give up the caffeine in coffee when she had been pregnant.

"Oh my God, you have no idea!" Autumn exclaimed. "I have Starbucks at least five times a week, and that's on top of what I make at home," she told her. She had never been happier for Corey to have a Keurig machine than now when she could drink coffee again.

"Have fun, I'll talk to you later," she said as she grabbed Harper's little hand and waved it at Autumn. Autumn leaned over and kissed Harper on the head before saying goodbye to Katherine.

She made her way to the Starbucks Corey had told her to meet him at, and she couldn't help but smile as she walked inside, reminiscing several months ago when she had first met Corey in this exact Starbucks. She remembered him laughing at her ordering a decaf coffee.

She saw him sitting at a table in the corner, and she made her way back there. "You haven't gotten anything?" she asked, seeing he had no coffee in front of him.

"Nice to see you, too," Corey laughed. "No, I haven't gotten anything yet. I thought I'd wait to see what you wanted and go and get both together," he explained.

"Caramel macchiato with--" she began as she sat down in the seat across from him.

"Extra shot, I know," he shot her a grin as he stood up to go order.

"Thank you!" she called after him, and he just nodded his head as he headed to the counter.

He came back a few minutes later with the drinks in his hand. He set Autumn's down in front of her, and she took a sip, immediately setting it back on the table. "This is not what I ordered!" she said, wanting to spit out what tasted like the decaf coffee she had attempted to drink early on in the pregnancy. "Are you sure you ordered me a caramel--" she suddenly stopped as she lifted up her drink to check the order the barista wrote on the cup.

Her eyes widened when she recognized Corey's scrawling handwriting on the cup. Autumn, will you marry me?

She lifted her eyes to look at him across the table, but he had moved to kneel on one knee next to her, a ring box in his hand, and her heartbeat sped up as she realized he was actually proposing to her. He reached his hand up to take hers, a smile on his face as she was still stunned that his was happening right now. "Autumn, I still remember the first time I saw you, right here," he began, looking around the room, briefly noticing that everyone was staring at them. "I'm pretty sure it was love at first sight for me, even though I didn't know what I was about to get myself into with you. But, you've been worth everything. You are my everything, Autumn. You already know I want to marry you, spend the rest of my life with you, have kids with you. But, it's time to make it official. Autumn, will you marry me?" he asked, opening up the box for her to see the gorgeous diamond ring sitting inside.

Autumn slowly nodded her head, a grin breaking out on her face. "Of course I will, Corey," she told him, and he stood up, taking the ring out and putting it on her finger before leaning down and giving her a big kiss.

"I love you," he told her in her ear.

"I love you, too," she told him. "Now, can we go celebrate?" she asked him excitedly.

Corey chuckled. "Yes we can, baby," he told her.

"But first, can you get me my real drink? And then can we stop and pick up Bride Wars? I think I'll use it to help prepare for my wedding," she told him.

Corey laughed harder, dropping his head and shaking it side to side. "Only I would marry a woman who's idea of a proposal celebration is Starbucks and a movie," he muttered.

"And yet, you love me anyways," she smiled up at him.

"Yes, I do," he said, leaning down and kissing the top of her head as he put his arm around her, guiding her to the counter to get her the drink she wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, that's the end of this story! There may be a sequel--you can click on the link up there on the top right if you'd like to see the potential story line :)--I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go through with it. I really like the ending here, so I'm happy with the way this story ended, and I hope you all like it too!

I can't thank you all enough for reading and subscribing and commenting and recommending and just being so supportive of this story and these characters!

Let me know what you thought about the story and the ending and the proposal and all that!

Thanks again! You all are the best :)