Falling Away With You

My house is...Haunted?

After I had cleaned up the mess, and made Kailey swear not to tell mom about it, I quickly exited her room. Making my way to my own room, I passed mom's, and hesitated outside her door. I really should apologize, the way I acted earlier was incredibly harsh.

Biting my lip, I knocked lightly on the old wooden door.

“Mom?”

There was no reply. At first, I thought maybe she wasn't in there, but then I heard her moving around on the other side.

“Mom? Are you in there?” I tried again.

There was still no answer, and I was about to leave and try again later, when she finally spoke.

“What is it Kellin?” she said, her voice a little harsh.
“Uh, I just wanted to apologize for earlier. I shouldn't have said any of that.”

There was about thirty seconds of pure silence, then the door opened with a faint squeak. She stood there, her blue eyes that matched mine staring right through me, as if she were trying to tell if I was telling the truth.

“Yeah, like I said mom, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean any of it, I was just angry.”

She smiled, surprising me a little.

“Its okay honey, I know you didn't. I'm sorry too. You're right, its not fair of me to expect so much out of you.”

She pulled me into a small hug, before letting go and fixing a strand of my hair that was apparently out of place. She's been doing that for as long as I can remember. It always annoyed me, even now, but I let it go this time.

“Alright, go get some rest. Tomorrow's your first day at your new school.”

As if I could forget. I wasn't looking forward to it, I was sure to get made fun of like in my old school. All I could do is hope that my day would go smoothly. But that was probably not going to happen.

My new school was a lot smaller than my old one, only three-hundred students. I stood in front, gazing up at the three story building. I really didn't want to do this, but I had to. At least I was a junior, and I only had one more year after this. Then I would be free. But for now, I had to deal with it. Taking a deep breath, which only made my nerves worse rather than better, and entered the building.

I pulled my schedule out of my pocket, scanning it for my first period class and its room number. Not paying attention to my surroundings, I bumped into someone.

It was a rather large guy, larger than me at least, with brown hair and matching eyes. And he did not look pleased at all. He glared at me, trying his very best to be intimidating. I glared back, showing him that I wasn't scared of him.

“Hey, watch where you're going, freak!”
“I'm sorry dude, I should have been paying attention,” I said, never dropping my glare.

“Whatever, just make sure it doesn't happen again, or I'll beat you to a pulp. Got it, new kid?” he growled threateningly, before walking off.

Wow, I'm in here for less than a minute and I already managed to make an enemy. Nice.

A voice shook me from my thoughts. In front of me was a blond guy. He was about an inch shorter than me, his gray eyes locking with mine.

“Don't mind him, he's just an ass. He treats pretty much everyone like that,” he said, in his southern accent.

He held his hand out to me.

“My name is Dylan by the way.”

I shook his hand, trying to be polite, and smiled at him.

“I'm Kellin, nice to meet you.”

He nodded.

“Your family just moved here right? Into the old abandoned house on Maple Street?”
“Yeah,” I said, nodding as well.

Word must get around quick in this small southern town, like nobody has anything better to do than gossip about the strange new family moving in.

“If ya'll don't mind me asking, why did your folks choose that house? Don't ya'll know about its past?”

Now I was curious. What did he mean about its past?

“What about its past?” I asked, quirking a brow.

He looked at me in shock.

“Ya mean ya'll don't know about the ghost?”
“The ghost?” I repeated.

“Uh hu, long time ago, 'bout five years back, the Fuentes family lived in that house. They had a son, 'bout our age, sorta dressed like you too. He got teased a lot, never really spoke much to anyone. One day the poor fella just had enough, and went and killed himself. No one knew 'till the next day, when they found his body by the creek. Apparently he'd hung himself. They say his restless soul haunts that there house, keepin anyone from movin in.”

I was speechless. How come I didn't know this? Did mom even know? I don't think she would have bought it if she knew it might be haunted. I don't believe that though. Ghosts didn't really exist, did they?

“Well, I wouldn't worry if I were ya'll. It probably ain't even true.”
“I'm sure you're right. I haven't seen anything so far.”

I wasn't sure if I should mention the odd feeling I got when I was in my room. He'd probably just think that I was lying, or that I was crazy or something.

“Well, it was nice meetin you Kellin. I gotta go now, don't wanna be late for class.”
“Yeah, nice meeting you too Dylan.”

I was still a little distracted by what he'd told me though. I couldn't get it out of my head, couldn't shake the strange feeling that maybe he was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, sorry if its a little slow at first. Hang in there, I promise it will get better soon.