Falling Away With You

A Single Night Without A Ghost In The Walls

On my bed, with my calculus homework spread out in front of me, I tried to make sense of the problems. I promised my mom I would at least try to get some homework done, instead of slacking like I usually did. This is just too annoying to put any effort into though.

I attempted the first problem one more time before I finally gave up, closing the large textbook and sighing. Well, at least I had tried.

Then, the craziest thing happened. My textbook flew off of my bed and hit the wall, before landing with a loud crash on the floor, as if someone had thrown it. My heart was racing. That scared the shit out of me, it was so random. I hadn't even touched it. Thoughts of what Dylan had said earlier this week filled my mind.

No, that couldn't be possible. There wasn't a ghost in my house. I had to be going crazy. I'm sure there's a very logical explanation for this.

I calmed myself down, feeling my heartbeat slow back into its normal pace, before getting up and retrieving the textbook. Then, yet another crash came from behind me, this time it sounded like glass shattering. I spun around to where the noise came from. My lamp was on the floor, and had broken into many pieces, littering the wood with little shards of glass.

This can't be happening. I was nowhere near the lamp, it couldn't have been me that knocked it over. I started to panic a little, then my eyes landed on my open window. Maybe the wind knocked it down. Maybe I'm not crazy after all...

For the rest of the week, strange things kept happening. Objects continued to fly across the room randomly and fall to the floor. It was starting to drive me crazy. The best part is, no one else ever saw these things happen, they were always either not home or not in the room. I wasn't about to tell anyone, they'd think I was insane.

It was finally Friday, and I was stuck babysitting Kailey since mom was stuck working late tonight. She'd told me to entertain her so she wouldn't get into any trouble. So, we decided to sit and watch a movie. Of course she was the one to pick the movie, if I even tried to suggest something, she'd throw a fit. It took her all but thirty seconds to pick, and I instantly groaned when she showed me what she chose. She had watched The Little Mermaid at least fifty times already. It was her favorite. I hated it, but if I said no, she'd start to cry and then tell mom when she returned, and I really didn't feel like being lectured tonight.

I pressed play and the movie started. I didn't pay much attention to it. I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted, with Kailey asking a million stupid questions that she should already know the answer to.

About half way through the movie, she looked over at me, and I anticipated another stupid question.

“Kellin?”
“Yeah?”
“Did you see him?”

I furrowed my brow in confusion.

“See who?”
“The boy,” she stated, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “He was standing in the hall, right by the stairs. He looked kinda sad.”

I had no idea what she was talking about, but it was really creepy.

“When did you see a boy?”
“A few days ago.”
“Well, I seriously doubt that. No one's been in here but us and mom.”
“But I saw him.”
“You were probably just imagining it, there's no boy in the house.”
“I didn't imagine him, he was real!” she insisted.

I sighed. She was not making me feel any more sane right now. Why couldn't I have a normal life?

“Kailey, there was no boy in this house, now drop it and watch the movie.”
“But there was! I swear I saw him!”

I just ignored her, knowing arguing would only make it worse. She eventually shut her mouth, pouting as she continued to watch the movie. I just hope she doesn't mention it to mom. She'd probably just think that she was making it up.

When the movie ended, it was already nine, so I put Kailey to bed. I on the other hand, wasn't tired. It was too early anyway. I never went to bed earlier than eleven thirty on Friday's.

I laid on my bed with my phone in my hands, having decided to talk to Dylan for a while. He was pretty much my only friend for now, no one else ever paid attention to me. Except for that asshole, Jason, who I had bumped into on my first day. He made it his business to torment me at least once a day.

I shivered, there was that cold chill again.

“Hey, you still up?” I text him.

Moments later, my phone buzzed, signaling that I had a message. It was from Dylan.

“Yeah, I don't go to sleep early Friday's. So have ya'll seen any ghosts yet?”

I rolled my eyes. I knew he was joking, but it still sounded stupid.

“No, but I don't think I will.”

I thought about telling him what Kailey claimed to see, but decided it wasn't a good idea.

“Ya never know, there could be one lurkin around in any room.”
“Uh hu, sure. Did you start your science project yet?”
“Yeah, I did. What 'bout yours?”

That wasn't a surprise, he always stars things early.

“I'm probably not even gonna do it, I never do those kinds of things.”
“Work on mine with me then, we're allowed to work in pairs.”
“No thanks. That's real nice of you though. You'd be doing all the work anyway.”
“That's true. Just tryin to help is all.”

We continued to talk for a while, and by the time we finished, it was already midnight.

“Well, talk to ya tomorrow. My mom's gonna flip if she knows I stayed up this late talkin on the phone.”
“Same here, my mom's gonna be home any minute now too. See you Monday.”

I sent the text, then put my phone on silent and crawled under the covers of my bed. I didn't sleep at first, just stared up at the ceiling. I hadn't been sleeping very well the past week. Maybe it was the fact that I was in a new house, or maybe it was that I was paranoid. I don't really know. I just wish that I could have a single night without a ghost in the walls, keeping me awake. Of course I didn't know for sure if there even was one, but it was starting to seem more and more possible with each passing day.