Status: Not complete, if you want updates, please let me know. :] Please Comment?

Lost in the Stereo

1

I pulled into a small run down gas station where a very big and ugly RV was sitting. I rolled my eyes impatiently when a small, shaggy haired guy straggled out of the monstrosity. He slowly walked toward the gas pump where next he very annoyingly stared at the different types of gas. He finally pulled out a card of some sort and swiped it, got his gas and finally the gigantic monster of a vehicle moved. I very impatiently sped up to the now empty space in front of the gas pump. Unlike the skinny, big haired stranger, I knew what kind of gas I was getting and exactly how much I was getting and it wouldn’t take me freaking 60 minutes to get the dang gas. I pulled out my beat up little card and swiped it; 20 dollars worth of sweet freedom, and it only took me 10 minutes. I got back into my little beater of a car, which in reality was a black 1999 Volkswagen Jetta.

When I arrived home I found a rather large envelope sticking out of our mailbox. “Oh crap!” I heard myself say. That must be my college acceptance/rejection letter. I pulled it out of the mailbox, as soon as I realized that it wasn’t as thick as it should be if I were to get accepted, I knew that I had been rejected. My less than great day was about to get a whole lot worse. I snuck past the kitchen where my mother was very intently on the phone; I slowly shut my bedroom door and sunk down into the floor where I would reveal my fate. I slowly opened the envelope and pulled the very nice stationary paper out, I began to read and quickly stopped as soon as I had read the words “we regret to have to inform you…” I didn’t need to read anymore. My day had officially gotten as bad as it could get. I now had to decide how to tell my parents, and more importantly what my plan B was. I sat on my bed and thought very long and hard, I didn’t know what else I could do, I had really counted on getting into University of Baltimore, Maryland’s second most prestigious school. Now I could only see myself mopping floors at an old diner, my whole future was gone. I’d now be doomed to eating left-overs from the grotesque diner where I’d spend the rest of my days. I didn’t really have to worry about how my future husband would feel about being with a loser, because I didn’t want to get married in the first place. I am and always have been content with loneliness.

I had just graduated high school and now all I wanted to do was live my life the way I wanted, I had pleased my parents for the last 18 years, I graduated and now it’s time for what makes ME happy. Sapphire Jameson’s first stop on the fabulous road to freedom was supposed to be Baltimore University. Unfortunately I hadn’t been accepted, so now I have to figure out where I’m going. “I suppose I could go to a trade school.” I said to my mother. I had broken the news, she was upset, but not with me, she just felt bad that I hadn’t gotten in. My dad on the other hand didn’t say anything, just pretended that it wasn’t a big deal in the first place and kept staring aimlessly into the television as if it would come and take him away to a place where he can have the life that he didn’t get because of me. My father and mother had dated since their freshman year, and by their junior year they had me. My mom stayed at home and never pursued the nursing career she had dreamed of forever, and my father got a job at the hardware store. The only difference now is that Dad owns the hardware store. I sometimes think that my Dad blames me for the way his life turned out, that’s the only reason I can think of that would explain why he acts the way he does. He’s so quiet and always looks so weary. I feel bad for him sometimes, I want to fix his life, but then I realize that there really isn’t anything I can do. “Dad, are you disappointed?” I asked sadly, as if I was talking to someone in a coma. It always felt like I was talking to someone who wasn’t really there. But that’s the definition of dad, the shell of a once lively young man. “No, you did your best. You’ll figure something out.” He said monotone. The whole time he spoke to me he didn’t take his eyes off of the TV; the magic box that he became glued to every day at 6 pm. He watched it so intently, almost like it took more effort to concentrate that hard then to just relax and watch it. Sometimes I wondered if he even remembered that Mom and I were here.

After a few minutes of my father not acknowledging that I was still sitting there, I got up and walked to my room. I turned my stereo up as loud as I could without bothering anyone. Music had always been my bliss, my one escape from the crazy world that I live in; which had also sparked my interest in the record shop that I had been working at since my sophomore year in high school. I had moved to Baltimore in the seventh grade and the first place that caught my eye was ‘Steve’s Records’, soon I was spending my allowance their every time a new album that I liked came out. If you were to ask my friends what phrase best described me they’d say ‘Lost in stereo’. I had the most awesome stereo, but it soon began being neglected when iPod’s came out. Now wherever I went I was always plugged into my Electric Blue iPod Nano.