Status: Not complete, if you want updates, please let me know. :] Please Comment?

Lost in the Stereo

4

The next day I made my daily commute to the diner down the street from my house and then to work. When I walked in a very curious Steve was awaiting me. I gave him a puzzled look. He laughed and said, “So how was your date?” I scowled and then rolled my eyes, “It was NOT a date.” He laughed once again and asked what had happened. I quickly explained that Alex was a complete jerk last night and that I had ‘insulted’ him greatly, it completely stupid and that it was all just a waste of time. That was exactly the reason that I didn’t ever get too involved with anyone. My life is too simple for stupid drama; I’d rather be alone then wrapped up in superficial crap like that.

He frowned, “Oh, well that’s too bad…” I really didn’t care and I made sure that Steve knew that. I wouldn’t have some stupid guy affect my ability to work diligently. I took my seat behind the counter where I’d spent most of my days for the last two years, I planned on doing the same until I figured out what I was going to do with my life. I had been really counting on getting into Baltimore University. I know that I want to pursue a career in music, but I don’t know specifically what area yet. I really can’t sing, or dance and I don’t know how to play any instrument.

A couple of days later I was just sitting at the counter and I heard the bell on the door ring as someone walked in, I glanced quickly, it was a person in a black hoodie and white skinny jeans, that outfit was regretfully familiar. I sneered, I didn’t say anything; I just pretended that he wasn’t there. He rang the bell on the counter; I didn’t have any choice but to acknowledge him. “Can I help you?” I asked as dry as I could. I wanted him to know that he was very obviously bothering me. I could tell as soon he had arrived at the park, that he was irritatingly cocky and proud. That bothered me. A lot. “I came to apologize about the other night.” I nodded as if I actually cared about him and his apology. He smiled trying to make it better; I gave him a blank stare. He frowned, “Are you really that mad?” I laughed. I looked at him and said, “Look, in order to be angry, that would require me to care, which I don’t. So no.” I said with a sharp harshness that was meant to sting the recipient of my words. He was taken aback, shock covered his face. He narrowed his eyes, “What have I done to you, to deserve that? I haven’t even known you a week.” I nodded, “Exactly, you haven’t known me a week and you’re already trying to force your dramatic life on me.” I explained. He was silent; he didn’t have a reply for that. He looked down for a minute, then back up at me, “Will you at least give me a second chance to show you that I’m a normal person just like you?” his eyes were full of hope. I didn’t even think it over before replying, “No, because even if you were, which you’re not, that wouldn’t mean you’re any less of a douche, so no.” I could tell that my words stung him; I could see the hurt in his eyes. He looked at me once more and asked, “Just answer me this and I’ll leave. Why are you so against giving me a chance?” I didn’t show any emotion other than annoyance, “Simple. Because you are annoying, self-centered, cocky as hell, and a player. The end.” He nodded, but only slightly showing that my insults were cutting deeper and deeper each time. He turned and left, just as he said he would.

The next day he came back. I didn’t understand why he would return after the verbal beating I had dealt yesterday. He walked up to me but before I could say anything he started to talk, “I know that you seem to not like me, but just give me a chance to show you what I’m really like.” his eyes pleading with me just to give him a chance. I sighed, “And if I say no?” I asked. He half smiled, “I’ll come back again tomorrow.” I gave him a look of pity. How pathetic, why spend so much time chasing someone who obviously wasn’t interested? I looked at his pretty boy self and said, “No.” He shrugged. “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, then.” I rolled my eyes, he wouldn’t come back. If he has any self-respect for himself, he won’t come back.” I went about the rest of the day as I usually did.

As he had promised, he came back, only this time with a rose in his left hand. I laughed and mouthed, “Wow.” He walked towards the counter and handed me the single, elegant white rose which was coincidentally my favorite. I half smiled, “What’s it going to take to make you go away?” I asked a little more playful than harsh. He smiled, “Just say yes.” I shook my head playfully. “Fine.” He perked up excitedly. “Okay, I’ll pick you up at 6?” I tilted my head and thought this over, “Can you actually be on time this time?” He laughed. “Yes, I’ll do my best not to be fashionably late.” I smiled, even though I didn’t want to. I was trying to maintain my tough bitchy exterior. He smiled again and walked out, but this time with a little skip in his step.

I went home and made myself look a little better than I had at the shop. I didn’t want to make it look like I actually cared what he thought about me, and I wanted to be sure that he knew that this was purely me trying to get him off my back. Nothing more. He knocked at the door at six, like he said he would. I opened the door and overdramatically congratulated him on being on time. He laughed and rolled his eyes, “I can be on time when I actually care.” he said nonchalantly. I pretended that I didn’t hear him say that. I nodded and changed the subject, “So where are we going?” I asked curiously. He smiled mischievously, and that worried me. “It’s a surprise, just come along and you’ll find out soon. I was just waiting for something bad to happen, for him to do something to prove my point. We walked for a block or so and finally ended up at a small shop, that didn’t look to be open. Alex knocked on the glass and the small, round man inside smiled excitedly and unlocked the door for us; I looked at Alex who was smiling at me, so full of curiosity and wonder. I smiled back, but quickly snapped back to the indifferent look I’d had since we left my house. The small, round man led us to a table that had a cheesy picnic blanket table cloth draped over it. Alex pulled the chair out and motioned for me to sit, then pushed it back in with ease. He then went to his seat and sat, he leaned in, “You look beautiful tonight.” he said very quietly, and somehow it had more meaning than if he had said it at normal volume. I smiled and said thank you, but I refused to tell him how nice he looked, and surprisingly enough he was perfectly fine with me not returning the compliment. He looked down at the small laminated diner menus. I chuckled when I thought about this whole “date”. It was all so classy even though it was in a small diner that smelled of various American foods. I picked my menu up and decided that I was going to have a hamburger and some french-fries. Alex put his menu back down and I noticed that he had a small scar on his hand; I curiously asked what it was from. He smiled and said, “When I was about 7 years old, my older brother got mad at me and threw his toy tractor at me and I blocked with my hand, therefore resulting in the scar.” I laughed. He frowned and a single tear slid down his cheek, I quickly apologized. “I’m so sorry, did I say something wrong?” He shook his head and explained, “No, you didn’t do anything wrong, it’s just my brother passed away in 2004, I miss him so much.” Another tear fell and I, without thinking, got up and wrapped my arms around him, “I’m so sorry.” He quickly pulled himself back together, “I don’t want to ruin our date with my sob story.” I frowned, “Are you sure you’re okay?” I asked sympathetically. He smiled and reassured me, but I could still see the pain in his eyes. I tried to do as he had and change the subject, but in the back of my mind all I could think about was how pained and vulnerable he looked, and that maybe I had just had him all wrong, maybe he really wasn’t a groupie collecting douche. I smiled and let myself enjoy the rest of the night, when the night was over Alex walked me back to my house. “Well I had a great time, and if you want to text me or call me sometime, here’s my number, he pulled out a Sharpie and scribbled a number on the palm of my hand. He smiled and leaned in to kiss me, only I pulled away and defensively put my hands out to stop him. He pulled back with a confused look on his face. I quickly apologized and explained why I had done this. “I just don’t kiss on first dates.” He smiled and nodded. ‘Okay, maybe next time, or the next, or whenever we see each other again.” He said suggesting that that would be a ‘next time’.