The Gray Letters.

pairwork

It took me a while to realize that I shared three classes with her: History, Literature, and Physics. And by a while, I mean two weeks.

I wasn't one to gawk or stare at people, trying to figure them out one by one without looking like a creep. I didn't look up whenever my friends would point at some random kid with some random news concerning them. I'd only shrug it off and tell them that I had better things to do. They would only snort and say 'whatever' before continuing what they were saying to another person, hoping that someone other than me would care.

We had Physics and I was seated at the very back, right corner, hunched over reading a comic book my friend lent me. It was an old issue of Batman, an issue I've already read months before but it was better than listening to my teacher talk about formulas.

I flipped the page and stifled a yawn, not wanting to attract any attention due to my big mouth. My eyes scanned the conversations, the words barely making any sense in my head.

"Now that we've covered the formulas, it's time for a pair-work!"

I heard my classmates utter small cries of protest, ones that were ignored. I looked up briefly and saw all of them move closer to their seatmate to do the assigned worksheets our teacher must have given while I was busy reading. I glanced to my left and almost jumped back in surprise when I saw her again.

This time around her hair was braided neatly and it hung over her right shoulder. Her left hand cupped her cheek as she propped her elbow on the table. A subtle smirk spread over her lips as I struggled to compose myself.

"So I'm guessing that Batman issue is much more interesting than Physics?" Her voice was light and teasing, but there was something else.

I laughed shakily and cracked my knuckles. It's a bad habit of mine.

"Yeah."

She nodded her head and stood up, pushing her table closer to mine. She sat back down and the scent of roses immediately filled my lungs. Strong and sweet. She took out the sheet of paper we were to work on and placed it on my table.

"I do odd you do even?"

I stared at the paper and nodded. I was supposed to say 'yeah' but instead this came out: "We have classes together?"

She looked at me like I had two heads and one of them was spitting on her.

"Yeah... Kind of ignorant aren't you?"

I shrugged and mumbled a "whatever" before working on the even numbers. I thought she would drop the conversation we had but she said something in reply:

"It's better to be ignorant than observant."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is... late.

A huge thanks to deandra the new girl, fascination., a mimosa pudica & birdbones for commenting. You have no idea how much it means to me. :)

PS I know the chapters may seem weird and random but I'm doing this on purpose to set the plot and the mood. No hate please.