Status: Complete <3 More to come in series though.

The One Where... Gerard Gets Snapchat

The One Where... Gerard Gets Snapchat

Frank Anthony Iero –

Guitarist, vegetarian, skittles enthusiast, former member of rock group My Chemical Romance.


Yes, former. It’s been a year since the band split. A year since I’ve seen his face as well. After the break up, things became more than a bit awkward between us, if I’m honest; everyone went their own ways to do their own things and we drifted apart. MCR meant so much to all of us, but particularly to Frank and the split hit him hard. I never would have believed that we would drift apart, had you have asked me two years ago. I always thought we’d stay by each other’s sides, you know? I sure hoped we would and not just because we were friends.

You see, there’s one thing I missed off the first list that really is of vital importance.

Frank Anthony Iero –

Guitarist, vegetarian, skittles enthusiast, former member of rock group My Chemical Romance and the love of my life.


Yes, I, Gerard Way, am in love with my best friend.

He’s slipping from me though, and if I don’t do something soon, I’m going to lose him forever.
I’ve already lost Lindsey by being too distant; not seeing Frank regularly made me more withdrawn and moody. As Lindsey put it – when Frank left, so did most of the light in my eyes. And she didn’t want to stay with me when she felt like she wasn’t enough.

I’ve already lost Lindsey, I can’t lose Frank.

Maybe it’s time to man up and pick up the phone, or just do something before it’s too late.

~

FRANK’S POV

~

Gerard Way.

What can I say about Gerard?

Artist, singer, ex-recluse, coffee addict, obsessive tweeter and hair dye lover.

There are probably so many more things I could add to this list, but right now, only one other word is coming to my head; a word that I really shouldn’t include in a list about my friend.

I sit with my guitar in my lap, strumming out some random chords while I contemplate these words. Weirdly enough, it’s our song that plays on Kerrang! Radio next. Well, I say our song, but it’s only our song in my head. Summertime was written for Lindsey, Gerard’s now-ex wife, but whenever we performed it on stage, or in practice, I always imagined that he was singing about him and I. We don’t have practice anymore though, because we aren’t a band anymore and now I never see him. Still, in my mind, it’s our song and on the nights where I was sad, or felt alone, I would have it playing through my headphones as I drifted off to sleep.

His voice is definitely one of the things I miss the most. Apart from at times like this, when I hear it through speakers, I haven’t heard his voice in a year.

And that makes me really damn sad.

Of course, to hear his voice, all I would have to do is call him; would the number ring though? For all I know, he could have changed his number. Still, the ideal person to gain contact through, who has remained close to me even though we are both now in new bands, is Mikey - Gerard’s brother, one of my closest friends and the bassist of our old group. Laying the guitar on the carpeted floor next to me, I removed my iPhone from my pocket, stopping briefly to smile at the photo on my home screen.

Jamia and the twins.

It was taken just before Miles was born, about half a year before the accident and two years before now.

The car crash was something none of us predicted, and ended in the tragic death of my beloved wife.

Thankfully, the children weren’t in the car at the time, they’d just been dropped off at kindergarten. Her death was hard on everyone, and Gerard was there to support me through it. He used to hold me while I cried and help me with the children, despite the fact that he had a daughter of his own and come over whenever I needed him. Gerard’s just amazing like that. I guess that’s why I ended up having to add ‘my love interest’ onto the end of my list of words about him. For half a year, he stood by me constantly, picking me up and dusting me off when I fell down. Then the split happened, which was followed by Gerard’s divorce and we just… I don’t even know what happened… it just all fell apart.

I want to fix that though, so, so badly.

I stop looking at the photo and unlock my phone before pulling up my phone book and clicking on Mikey’s name. I took all of three rings for him to answer with a cheery hello. He seems to be the only one with any relationship fortune. After what happened with that other girl back around the time we split, Mikey and Alicia managed to patch it up and slowly got their relationship back on a steady track. Gerard and I though… Luck doesn’t seem to like us very much and if she does, she has a really messed up way of showing it.

“Mikey, I don’t suppose I could ask you a favour?”

*****

Patience.

Patience is what I really need right now, yet I can’t seem to find any.

Mikey had told me that he’d let Gerard know that I’d asked after him and tell him to give me a call. That was a week ago though and I’ve still heard nothing from either brother.

Every time I hear my text alert go off, every time I hear the phone ring, my heart literally beats faster because it could be him. It reminds me of being a stupid teenager in a way. You know? Feeling so stupidly in love with someone you think is miles out of your league? Yeah, twenty years later and that feeling is making a reappearance.

I grab my phone from my pocket like a reflex response when I hear it start to blare out a Misfits song from within the pockets of my faded jeans.

“Hello?” I answer by the second ring, trying to mentally prepare myself in case it’s one of my friends or family and not the person I so desperately wanted it to be. I was surprised then, but wonderfully so, when I heard a familiar New Jersey accented voice coming through my phone speakers.

“Frankie?” Even after a year, he still used my nickname; something about that made me feel a buzz inside, because, you know, apparently I’m a twelve year old school girl.

“Gee?” I reply, automatically reverting to calling him a pet name.

“Ha, yeah, it’s me” he giggles, almost nervously.

Soon enough, we start talking about what’s going on in our lives at the moment and it felt so incredibly natural. We even started talking about fashion and the way we look now; which is understandable, we’ve
both changed a lot over the last year.

“Oooh! You’ve dyed your hair again? I want to see!” I exclaim down the phone when he tells me he’s changed the colour again, causing him to chuckle at me.

“You do realise you can’t actually send pictures through a landline right? You’re on your mobile but I’m not”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. But hey, do you have an app called Snapchat on your phone?” I ask, smiling privately to myself when he tells me he doesn’t but that he can download it. He retrieves his phone from wherever he left it and I guide him through how to set it up and add me as a contact; soon enough, he knows what he’s doing. Deciding to switch to Snapchat rather than continue the call, we say our goodbyes and swap to the picture messaging service. The first thing that comes through from Gerard is a mirror selfie so that I can see his hair.

And just when I though he couldn’t get anymore beautiful…

Even though the image is only on my screen for ten seconds, it’s long enough for me to memorise the way he grinned in the mirror, all of his little teeth showing. He looks so happy!

I send one back with a brief message saying that he missed me with a moustache by about a day, I shaved it off after the contest last week.

Yes, moustache contests are what I do with my life now, problem?

We send pictures back and forth for a few minutes before I run out of things to reply with, so our conversation stops for a few minutes. Just when I think the conversation is officially over though, a message pings in from Gerard. I push down on his name and grin when I see he’s sent me a picture of a jar of coffee and simply attached the message ‘Wanna get some starbucks?? :)’.

I immediately reply with a photo of me grinning and giving him a thumbs up and looking like a mad child, excited to be meeting up with him again after a year.

Two replies come in one after another; the first is Gerard laughing and the caption ‘oh dear, it looks like you’ve already had some coffee! #HyperFrankie’ and the second one makes my heart leap the second I open it. I wish you could save Snapchats, because I wanted to keep this forever.

The second photo is one of Gerard making a heart symbol with his hands (his phone is probably being propped up against the coffee jar) and smiling with the message ‘I’ve missed you and your sugar rushes <3’.

I can’t help but send one back with my hands making the same heart shape and then writing ‘I’ve missed you full stop’.

It may be a bit cheesy, but it’s honest. And with that, I grab my Misfits hoodie, quickly sort my hair and grab my old skeleton gloves from the coffee table and head on out the door.

Off for Gerard and coffee.

It really doesn’t get much better than that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Frerard fluff! <3

xo KilljoyAndProudOfIt