Status: Hiatus

The North Wind

Wait a Minute; Can’t You See What This Pain Has Done to Me?

Huntington Beach was far from the tranquil landscape Natalii had grown accustomed to over the years. It was bustling during the day, as locals and tourists alike soak up the hot California sun. Yet as lively as the city could be, people were friendly and rent could be found downtown for surprisingly cheap.

She had come across the town on a particularly chilly day, when the wind came from the north. As Natalii stood on the edge of the pier, it became clear that this is where she was needed, at least for the time being. So she called the landlord of an empty shop downtown, and rented out the corner store.

Natalii worked hard over the next few weeks, cleaning, painting and redecorating the shop. She lined the walls with the artifacts she had collected from all the different countries she had lived in, and photographs she had taken.

“Mama!” Natalii turned from the batch of rose creams she was currently preparing for the day, to see her eight year old daughter, Violet, come bursting through the doors of the shop.

“Yes ma chère,” (Yes my dear), Natalii spoke, embracing Violet tightly.

“Can we to the beach tonight?” Violet asked. “You promised we could!”

“Oh, I suppose,” Natalii replied, laughing lightly as her daughter hugged her tighter, before she ran to their apartment, which rested just above the shop. Natalii finished the batch of rose creams, and arranged them on a platter to display. Newspaper still lined the windows of the shop, leaving the city’s residence to wonder what kind of shop Natalii was opening. She was nearly finished setting up, just having to prepare a few more confections before she could open her doors to the public.

Natalii washed all the bowls and utensils she had used, before she headed up to the apartment to change. It was late in the day, almost sun down, Natalii’s favorite time to go to the beach.

Natalii took Violet’s hand as they stepped out onto the streets of Huntington. Leisurely, they made their way to the pier, just a few blocks down from their shop. The streets were packed for a Friday evening, and Violet clutched her mother’s hand tightly, to avoid being lost in the crowd.

Once they reached the beach, Natalii lead Violet to the left. They walked until they came to an emptier stretch of sand, and laid their towels out on the soft powder. Natalii pulled a book out of her bag, and lay on her towel, as Violet took off towards the waves. Natalii smiled as she watched her daughter play in the silt-like sand.

A few minutes later, Natalii was startled by a sudden whining, before a small Maltese clambered into her lap.

“Hello there, sweetheart,” she cooed, running her fingers through the dog’s creamy white fur. “Where’s your owner little darlin’?”

“Right here.” Natalii sat up, startled by the man jogging along the beach. “Sorry ‘bout her, she doesn’t listen well,” he spoke again, coming to a stop next to her, breathing heavily.

“It’s alright, she wasn’t causing any harm. She’s adorable,” Natalii smiled, watching as the little dog jumped on her owner’s legs, begging to be picked up. The man reached down to pick the dog up, tucking her into the crook of his arm.

“I’m Brian, and this little shit is Pinkly,” the man grinned, putting a hand out for her to shake.

“Natalii,” she spoke softly, placing her petite hand in Brian’s larger one. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“The pleasure is all mine Natalii,” Brian replied, leaning down to place a kiss on the back of her hand. “Now tell me, what is a beautiful woman such as yourself doing out here, by herself, on a Friday night?” Brian questioned, taking a seat next to her in the sand, and placing a squirming Pinkly between the two of them.

“I promised my daughter I would take her. We just moved here, and we’ve been spending most of our time trying to set up our shop, that we haven’t had much down time.”

“I see,” he said, removing his sunglasses, to reveal beautiful chocolate orbs. “And what kind of shop are you opening?”

“That is a surprise,” Natalii giggled. “But the shop is on the Pacific Coast Highway, near Main Street. You’ll have to stop by once we open.”

“I suppose I will,” Brian smirked, scooting closer to the raven haired girl.

“What is it that you do for a living?” Natalii asked, turning her body to face him.

“I’m kind of a beach bum, honestly. I teach surfing lessons near the marina. I bought a modest little house right on the beach, and I’m living the dream.” Natalii hummed in response, turning her head to gaze out to the ocean. By now, the sun had set, the beach dimly lit, just enough for Brian to make out the few tattoos that covered Natalii’s body. In the crease of her left arm was an intricate, blooming rose. Near the socket of her right arm was the outline of a city skyline. Lastly, running down her spine, was what Brian assumed depicted the phases of the moon.

Just as Brian was about to question her about her tattoos, Natalii let out a loud shriek as her daughter dove into her laugh. Brian smiled softly, noticing the subtle similarities between the two. The young girl shared her mother’s angular face and deep hazel eyes. His smile deepened as Natalii pulled her daughter closer.

“Violet, this is Brian,” Natalii spoke, running her hand through the small girl’s wet hair. “Brian, this is my daughter, Violet,” she finished, placing a kiss atop Violet’s messy mop of hair. Violet eyed Brian curiously, before burying her head in her mother’s neck, shielding her from view.

“Mama,” Violet spoke softly, looking into Natalii’s eyes. “Will you come in the water with me? It’s warm, I promise.” Natalii glanced at Brian, who smiled and nodded his head, encouraging her to go. Natalii sighed, shifting Violet from her lap, to the towel beneath them, and stood, shrugging out of her shirt and skirt.

“Come on then love.” Natalii grabbed her daughter’s hand, and pulled her to her feet, leading the way towards the water. Natalii stopped for a moment to turn, and looked Brian in the eye. “Are you coming, or what?” she asked, cocking her head to the right, just slightly. Brian rose to his feet, peeling off his shirt, before he made his way in after the girls.

Violet laughed at Pinkly, who was jumping around in the mist of the ocean, too afraid to come further out. Violet quickly became adjusted to Brian, much to Natalii’s surprise. As they walked back onto the beach, ready to head home, Brian was carrying Violet on his back. Natalii smiled as Brian set her on her towel, kneeling in front of her, promising to teach her to surf whenever he had time. Brian was taken aback as Violet wrapped her arms around his waist, but he quickly recovered, wrapping his arms around her petite little frame.

“So…” Brian started, reaching down to grab a damp Pinkly, before coming to stand next to Natalii. “When should I plan to make a visit to your mysterious shop?” Natalii giggled softly, before replying.

“I’m going to work all through the weekend, putting on the finishing touches. Monday, we should be open for business. It would be an honor to be graced with your presence.”

“You can plan on it,” Brian smirked. “Will you ladies be okay walking home by yourself, or do you want me to escort you back?”

“I think we’ll be okay. We’re big girls, aren’t we Vi?” Natalii answered, rubbing her daughter’s back. Brian was secretly disappointed, but didn’t let it show as he leaned forward, pressing a chaste kiss to Natalii’s cheek.

“Until Monday then,” Brian said, lightly ruffling Violet’s hair, before watching the two make their way back towards home.

It wasn’t often that Brian found himself captivated by a woman. He’d seen and been with plenty in his time, and they’d all been the same. Natalii was different. She was exotic, beautiful, but he could tell she had built a wall around her heart. Whether because it had been broken too many times before, or for the sake of her young daughter, she had, and Brian knew from experience, it wasn’t the way to live.

For Natalii’s sake, Brian was determined to break her wall down.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am not thoroughly pleased with this, as it's extremely short, and not my best. But I made you guys wait far too long.

I'm pretty excited for this story, more so than I've been for my other two, so hopefully you guys will like it.

Natalii's Outfit

Natalii's tattoos:

Image

Image

Image

Title Credit: Asleep by Godsmack