The Tree

The First and The Last

She had to keep running. Her clothes were ripped to shreds, she was dirty, her leg was broken and she was bleeding profusely. She was almost out of breath and she needed help. Fast. She wanted her friends, but she knew they were long gone. The killer surely got to them first. He was right behind her and her stumbling was getting her nowhere. Her heart beat faster and faster until she thought it was going to explode, even though it never did. She saw the old tree through the forest and kept running. As she approached the tree, something wasn't right. She lost her balance at the base of the tree and what she saw made her scream. Her, once beautiful, friend had been hung and the buzzards had been pecking at her eyes. Her boyfriend, was lying impaled on the ground. He had been dead long enough for the maggots to swarm, going in and out as they pleased from different areas. Other rotted and decayed corpses were spread throughout the area. No survivors to be seen. She turned around just in time to let out one of those blood-curdling screams before getting impaled through the stomach, the pole sticking into the tree behind her. As the blood started to pour from her mouth and her sobs became audible, her killer met eyes with her. She died right there as he watched in pleasure. You would never forget his face after you had seen him, but yet you would never have time to forget before he found you once more. No one escapes. EVER. Why? Because he is part of every tree.