Status: Shorter Chapters, ReDoing WIP

Rightful Ruler

The Resistance Base

Baylee ran as fast as her bare feet could carry her. She looked around frantically, her heart pounding and her breath hiking. She could still see the remaining stragglers stumbling toward the hanging grounds, so she ran toward it. By the time she reached the grounds, she had to pause and catch her breath. Her fingers grabbed at the seams of her dress as she stumbled around the back to get a better view of the noose stand.

She gasped, recognizing the dark hair, tall, ruggedly dressed frame and tanned skin. Jasper Hugo. The man from her dreams. She ran around the crowds, who were all too busy getting riled up by the executioner. While they were distracted, she ran up to Hugo.

He turned his gaze on Baylee, "Well, aren't you lovely..." A smirk spread across his lips. He wasn't the most attractive man, but he had many attractive features—his lean muscles being one of them.

"I-I..." She fumbled with her words, twirling her white-blonde hair around her finger, "I...look, Jasper, I'm going to free you."

"Are you really going to attempt that in front of all of these people?" He raised a brow, "You're a brave one, love."

"Shush, I'm trying to think, and I can't think if you talk." Oh how his baritone voice sent chills down her spine. She looked around for something to cut the ropes that bound his hands.

"You might want to hurry, love." He muttered glancing around, "The executioner could be done with his little rallying speech any time now."

Baylee sighed irritably, "You don't happen to have a knife by chance, do you?" She muttered sheepishly.

"No. All of my gear happened to be confiscated." He smirked at her, "You don't have one in that little day dress of yours?" His flirty tone sent a wave of warmth through her, tingling through her tummy.

"N-no I-" She adverted her eyes. The sunlight glinted off of something in her peripheral vision, and her eyes trailed to it. A piece of glass barely visible above the dirt shimmered in the sun. Baylee dove for it, unearthing it. With great luck on her part, this shard was just jagged and sharp enough to cut.

She grabbed the ropes and began to saw through them. The end of the executioner's speech was rounding to a close. Baylee grunted with frustration as she sawed a little harder and faster. If she was caught, we would be thrown into the dungeons—where she was supposed to be at the moment anyway. She let out a squeak and sigh of relief when she finally cut through a piece of the ropes. She quickly sawed through another rope and helped him slip them off, dropping them to the ground.

"Thank you, lovely." He muttered ducking back and hiding himself behind a nearby wall. "May I ask your name?"

"I-I-I..." Baylee flushed a soft scarlet, "Baylee..." She squeaked.

"Well, Baylee, follow me." He grabbed her hand gingerly.

"I was going to say the same t-to you." She muttered, attempting to pull him toward the gates.

"No. I'm sure if you're helping me, the King doesn't care much for you either," He stated pulling her back, "so, there's only one place we can go where it will be safe enough for us to relax. And let's just say, I have a few friends in the resistance." Baylee simply nodded, entranced by the fact that his calloused hand was wrapped around hers.

He led her through the square, pulling a hood over his head so that he wouldn't be noticed by a passerby. He led her across the square and toward the crumbled wall twenty feet from the toll booth where walking visitors would be stopped and searched before entering the kingdom. He pulled her through the draped ivy and down the dirt path.

"The entrance is hidden, so anyone who happens to stumble upon this place won't know of its presence." He muttered, pulling on the mahogany door handle. The slightly askew door creaked shut as he led her down the steps and into the handkerchief sized, stone foyer.

"Is this..."

"Yes. This is the resistance base," He released her hand and stepped into the living area. Baylee hesitated at the door, "I brought someone with me, if no one minds." He chimed.

Baylee peeked in. Ravin, Kallie's protector, was pacing around the room. His face was distorted in a distracted and slightly irritable mask. His fists were clenched in tense balls and his body was rigid and surly.

"Ravin," A rather bulky man sitting on one of the mahogany and plush couches looked to him, "You need to calm down. If Kallie was in danger, she would have sent word in some way–"

"Do you hear yourself!?" A fearful guilty pang rolled through Baylee, "If she is in danger, she has no way of alerting any of us. Don't you see–"

"She is a crafty girl Ravin." A harsh, looking older woman sat with a blanket wrapped around her next to the bulky man.

"Helga, do you not understand?" He ran his hands through his already wild bangs, gripping his long, pulled back locks.

"I understand completely." Her grey eyes flashed dangerously, her thin mouth sagging into a grimace. "Kallie is a strong girl, and she can handle herself."

The bulky man looked to Jasper, "Say, Hugo, where is this person that you brought with you?" Baylee squeaked as every eye in the room turned on her. She hid even further behind the wall, her lanky and slender frame softly quaking. She heard heavy clumping across the stone and the bulky man leaned around the wall. His matted chocolate hair was pulled back into a bushy ponytail, and his goatee wrapped around his intimidating face.

"There is no need to be afraid child." He held out a large hand for hers, a soft smile lifting the corners of his mouth. His face lightened so that it no longer seemed to frightening. She took his calloused hand, "Now what is your name?" He slowly eased her into the living area. She kept her eyes adverted as Ravin's onyx orbs drifted to her.

"Baylee!?" His tone echoed with surprise as Baylee cringed.

"Ravin..." She muttered.

Surprise bounced around Helga, Jasper and the bulky man's faces, "I had no clue that you were acquainted with Ravin!?"

Baylee flushed scarlet, another guilty pang rolling through her. "Ravin, I can save her." She muttered quietly.

Ravin let out an agonized groan as he fell back on one of the couches, "Where is she?" His tone was grave.

"She is...she's..." She stuttered as the burly man crossed the room, "at the palace...captive in her chambers..." She bit down on her lip, her guilt and nerve flopping in her stomach.

"Is she still there?" He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Y-yes..." She mutter meekly.

"You left her...?" His eyes open, piercing into her.

"I-I...yes." She hung her head, "I had to save Jasper—"

"You left her." He barked out a hysterical, winded laugh, "You left her with a sadistic, tyrant of an older brother that wants her head so that she can not ascend to the throne..." He rubbed his temples, "What on earth were you thinking!?" He shouted. Even Jasper jumped.

"Ravin, calm down." The burly man cautioned, "At the very least, we know where she is now." Baylee nodded hopefully.

"No, Bartrom, I will not calm down!" Ravin snapped, "I was sworn in by her father. I gave him my solemn oath to protect the heir to the throne, and I am failing him." His mouth fell into a dark scowl as he pushed himself up, "I'm going to mobilize on a rescue mission. Whoever wishes to join me, may. Whoever wishes to stay, may as well."

"I go with you. This is my fault." Baylee stated, a determined look plastered on her face.

"No." Ravin's sigh was exasperated, "As glad as I am to see you safe under this roof, she practically never slept worrying about you. She would destroy me if I let anything happen to her, so you will stay here even when the time comes and we set out for her."

"I can help-" She plead.

"No." He was stern and steadfast.

"Why not!?" She protested. All intimidation and meekness left her then.

At that moment, a tall, lean young man seemingly around Baylee's age emerged from the hall. He wore a bow strapped to his back and a dagger tied to his belt. His dark chocolate hair framed his handsome face and his hazel eyes were alight with curiosity.

"I heard a commotion and assumed Kallie had returned." He stated gazing over Baylee, "You aren't Kallie..."

Baylee tilted her head. Where had she seen this young man before? Baylee didn't often forget a face, and she had seen this—it couldn't be. He reminded her of a childhood friend that she and Kallie often spent time with. She hadn't seen him since his parents died and he went to live with his Uncle in the small village only a few miles from Concordia.

"No, I'm not." Baylee agreed, slightly distracted. No matter who she saw, she was reminded that—in her mad dash to rescue Jasper—she left Kallie in the hands of her older brother.

"Baylee?" He tilted his head pursing his lips. Baylee nodded, keeping her eyes from his. The man looked to Ravin, "Why hasn't Kallie returned? And why is Baylee here, not at the castle?"

"What's that supposed to mean–" Ravin cut her off.

"I am going to scout ahead to see what we are standing up against. If she is in her room, it will give us an idea of how heavily guarded she is." He stated. He walked into the next room as the young man looked to the others for explanation.

"Kallie has been taken captive by Demitri." Helga muttered. At this the young man sauntered after Ravin. Her cold grey eyes turned to Baylee, "Baylee, dear, why don't you sit down. I will make supper, and you can relax while the boys scout."

"I can't rela—wait...Helga?" She looked at the woman, examining her a little more thoroughly. This woman looked to be in her forties, her graying blonde hair pulled up in a taut bun. Her cold grey eyes were heavily hooded and her face was touched with gentle wrinkles.

Her thin mouth was stretched in a grim line as she replied, "Yes, I am Kallie's nurse maid. I would not be very surprised if Demitri remembers me. I helped Grenda care for him when he was sickly or on a tyranical rampage. I even took care of you on occasion, deary."

"Helga, I can't relax. Not while Kallie is in her brother's clutches." Baylee plopped down next to her, her face in her hands.

"Well, darling, you'll do well to let this alone. You will only hinder those men if you attempt to join them." Helga said sagely.

Helga stood, "Bartrom, if you aren't going to join the boys, I'll need help preparing supper." She ordered, smoothing out her apron.

"Yes, ma'am." He chimed, standing on his feet.

"Hugo," He answered her with a lazy grunt that made Baylee flush, "don't be such a lazy bones, you might as well show the girl around. I have a feeling that this will be her new home."

"Yes sir." He gave her a sarcastic salute, sending Baylee a smoldering wink. A wave of heat passed through her.

Helga gave Hugo a severe look before walking down the hall and disappearing into the kitchen. Bartrom gave a polite salute before following behind the woman.

Jasper hopped to his feet, "So, how about I show you around?" He politely held out his hand to her. She flushed and all new shade of red, her fumbling fingers finding his.

He led her down the narrow hall, pointing things out as they passed them. Past the kitchen and the dining room on the right, the lavatory and the armory on the left and further back to a four way intersection of halls that lead to the many rooms within the base where the people lay their heads.

Baylee glanced down the other three halls, each of them containing at least ten doors on each side, "How many people stay here?"

"At least forty or so..." He shrugged, "There are at least sixty rooms. This hall is for the soldiers," He motioned to the left, "This hall belongs to the families." He pointed to the right, "And this hall belongs to Kallie's guard, family, the Princess herself, and myself. You will be staying in this hall as well, love." He led her down the narrow corridor.

Each of the doors that they passed was a rich mahogany with decorative iron framing with plaques that read a name of a specific person. Some of the plaque's held no name, some of them had been scratched out. One read: Ravin. Another: Helga. Another: Hugo. Another: Benjamin. That was his name! Then, the last door to the left read: Kallie. This door was intricately carved and detailed with a delicate flower pattern.

"If you don't mind my asking, why is it that you're on the run anyway?" His dark eyes gazed down at her.

"I..." Baylee exhaled, "I was the reason you were to be hanged."

"Oh darling..." He let out a laugh, "You? No, sweetheart, I have had a bounty on my head since I was nineteen and good ol' Alabaster was on the throne." He shook his head, "Why would sour puss want me to hang because of you?"

"I-I had..." She stuttered flushing pink, "I dreamt of you, and he grew jealous."

He shrugged, "This will be yours." The name Baylee was already etched into the plaque.

"My name is–" Her slender fingers brushed over it.

"I was curious too." Jasper stood behind her, "Apparently, Kallie had been waiting for the day she could rescue you and bring you to the safety of the resistance base. It's been there for almost...how long's the old man been...four years?"

"I will save you..." She stroked the plaque, sighing quietly to herself.

"What did the King want of you?" Jasper leaned against a wall casually.

"Marriage." She muttered, disdain coloring her tone.

Jasper's eyes trailed down her body, "I can understand why."

She flushed again, "Shush..."

"What were these...dreams...about, per say?" An amused look played on his face as a smirk lifted his lips.

"I—" Baylee froze, "Just...wild fantasies..." Her eyes dropped to the ground as she wrung her hands.

"Fantasies?" The bandit coaxed.

"Ever...so-slightly...sort...of..." Baylee never admitted what her dreams truly contained for the fear of the King's wrath.

"Yes..." His mouth began to twitch into a smile.

"Slightly...sensual..." She admitted, keeping her head low. A warm feeling tingled through her tummy and a little lower.

"Have you ever actually participated in intercourse?" Another amused look. If he didn't stop looking at her with that smolder, she was going to peal over and die.

"N-no." Baylee admitted, looking up at him through her pale lashes.

"A virgin..." He sighed, "I am going to hell...would you like to?"

"What!?" Baylee voice rose a few octaves.

"Would you like to have sex with a man who will actually give you bliss?" He crossed the narrow hallway to stand beside her.

"I...wh—just take me," She groaned, her knees turning to jelly. He swooped her into his arms and carried her into her room.

"What a better way to warm your bed..." He shut the door and tossed her on the bed.

"Jasper!" She gasped with a giggle. He tackled her to the bed, his chest flush against hers. He pressed a kiss to her lips, holding it for a few seconds as his hands trailed down her slender body. Her body ground against his as his breath traveled down her neck. She let out a groan, "Jasper, stop your teasing." She plead.

His large, calloused hands helped her out of her dress. His eyes traveled down, "You're body is covered...that's no good." He pursed his lips as Baylee's breathing sky rocketed.

His hands slipped into his belt before he tossed it to the ground. A dagger sliced through the ties that kept her constricting corset on. He threw it to the ground, leaving her in her undergarments and slip. He pulled his clothes off until he was also in the bare minimum. His bare chest was visible through a white, airy shirt.

Her slender hands traced the toned contours of his chest as he pressed her body to his. Her breathing hitched and she flushed everywhere. "J-Jasper, I-I..."

"Shhh..." He pressed a finger to her lips, stroking her chin with his thumb. He slipped off the rest of her clothing, revealing her sun-kissed ivory body. Soft colored scars trailed up a few places on her back and legs. Something flashed in Hugo's eyes as he looked over her body, "Scars..."

"The King's handiwork." Baylee muttered solemnly. "I hate my body..." She crossed her arms over her moderately sized breasts.

"You have a very beautiful body, Baylee." He licked her earlobe, "Never forget that..."

"Often times–" Jasper pecked her lips, "he would–" Another peck, "beat Kallie and me. A show—of dominance, I assume–" Another, "Kallie was—worse off than—I was..."

"Poor princess..." A surge of guilt rolled through her again. She was being pleasured while Kallie was suffering. That was always how it happened. Kallie got the shorter end of the stick... She shook her head, momentarily distracted by the bandit removing his shirt to show a muscular and toned body.

"Jasper...I-"

"The princess wouldn't want you to worry about her." She groaned as he molded her body to his. He slipped off his large article of clothing, and she gaped downward. Would it fit!?

"Are you ready, love?" He muttered sensually into her ear, "You only need to say no."

"Make me forget..." Her voice wavered. A smile spread across his face as he kissed her neck and plunged in. Pain—she let out a sharp yelp of shock. He slowly continued, filling her with glee. Every careful move, every amorous touch...all of it was so overwhelming.

She had never felt this way before. No man had ever managed to completely sweep her off her feet, yet alone a complete stranger. As the pain slowly melted into pleasure, she pressed her lips to his. Her breathing heightened as she panted, her legs too numb with bliss to move.

She couldn't help but wonder...would the King have done this with her? Would he have cared to send her into ecstasy with every gentle touch and move? This man...this complete stranger...He cared enough to ensure that she felt this...this overwhelming thrill.

From then on, nothing stopped them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Warning: Sexual Content. Since this is only rated R, I couldn't go into explicit detail with the intercourse. They stripped, had feelings, that's all.
I will eventually put up the ranks of a few of the characters in the summary, and I will also put the rules of marriage for male and female monarchs.
I wrote this for you Desi! Hope you enjoy it~!